Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2020, 10:23 AM   #1

House Battery

If I want to add an additional 12 volt battery to the one that is coming with the Class C, do they need to be the same type and rating battery? Assuming Jayco will put in a deep cycle battery in the Redhawk SE 27N that I have coming.
cegates01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegates01 View Post
If I want to add an additional 12 volt battery to the one that is coming with the Class C, do they need to be the same type and rating battery? Assuming Jayco will put in a deep cycle battery in the Redhawk SE 27N that I have coming.
Yes, you will want them to be the same size/rating (identical would be best) otherwise you will get uneven charge/discharge across the batteries. Also, in case it's not obvious, make sure you wire in parallel (+ to +, - to -).
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:25 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Typically, the battery provided by Jayco isn't that great, unless the dealer upgraded it. Plus, while the rig sits on the factory lot and dealer lot, the battery usually gets totally discharged, which damages it. It might take a charge, but will have very little capacity.

So, you wouldn't want to put a new battery alongside a used battery, they won't charge evenly. My rig, last year, came with a weak battery, and I knew it, and temporarily put in a second weak battery I had, just to give me a bit more capacity. We were always camping with full hookups, so I wasn't concerned.

At the beginning of this year, I put in two brand new, matching batteries to start the season.

Also, my chassis battery was weak, and wouldn't hold a charge for the same reason I made in the first paragraph. I had to replace that soon after bringing the rig home.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:40 PM   #4

I would go with two golf cart 6 volt trojan batteries wired in series. You will get more capacity than 2 12 volt.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote