Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-12-2021, 11:16 AM   #1

How difficult to book a camp site for 37 feet RV?

How difficult to book a camp site for 37 feet RV? For RV this long, I think it is difficult to get into parks (national or state).

How about thousand Trail membership? only a few sites in a campground are reserved for thousand trail members?
brightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:22 AM   #2

Well, as far as Thousand Trail membership, My mother-in-law had a membership that also included the kids. (That's how my wife and I used it) 1st. The sires are 1st come 1st served. No reserved sites. We used to have to get to a thousand Trails on Wednesday afternoon or no later than noon on Thursday to get a decent site. If you came in on Friday late afternoon or evening.... You were going out to the "South 40 to camp" We were also limited to the East Coast and there are not a lot of camp grounds.

However, if you are full timing and traveling, it MIGHT Maybe be worth it. We gave ours up.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:44 PM   #3

Is there a limit for number of sites (or size of sites) allocated for Thousand Trail membership? e.g. 10 sites: 2 big sites, 8 small sites
Old 01-12-2021, 12:52 PM   #4

Our previous was a 40' 5th wheel. When booking sites at state parks in Michigan you pit in the dates and equipment size and the site will give you what's available for size and date. Problem is we know it doesnt give us a bunch of sites due to the equipment size and we know it would fit. They say site X is good for a trailer up to 35' yet the site is 30' X 45'. So we put in smaller equipment to give us more site options. Look over the site dimensions and pics of the site. Sometimes we'll google maps the campground/sites using the satellite view so we can see if there is a tree, fire pit, etc.. that may be in the way restricting us from getting our trailer on it.
Our first 5th was a 34' Montana and we could fit that in pretty much any site at our state parks. The 40' was a little more restrictive than the 34' but... the 45' Northpoint we have now.... that's another story. Lol!
Old 01-12-2021, 02:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Our previous was a 40' 5th wheel. When booking sites at state parks in Michigan you pit in the dates and equipment size and the site will give you what's available for size and date. Problem is we know it doesnt give us a bunch of sites due to the equipment size and we know it would fit. They say site X is good for a trailer up to 35' yet the site is 30' X 45'. So we put in smaller equipment to give us more site options. Look over the site dimensions and pics of the site. Sometimes we'll google maps the campground/sites using the satellite view so we can see if there is a tree, fire pit, etc.. that may be in the way restricting us from getting our trailer on it.
Our first 5th was a 34' Montana and we could fit that in pretty much any site at our state parks. The 40' was a little more restrictive than the 34' but... the 45' Northpoint we have now.... that's another story. Lol!
Thanks for info. Some people like to go smaller for RVing, what is the reason you like to go bigger? I am making decision on RV 33 feet vs 37 feet. The 37 feet has washer/dryer combo prep that I like, but it is longer and will bring inconvenience in finding compsite and getting around on road.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
Is there a limit for number of sites (or size of sites) allocated for Thousand Trail membership? e.g. 10 sites: 2 big sites, 8 small sites
1 site per trailer and membership (You can put up a tent) But, since they are 1st come 1st served, You pick the sites available. My Trailer is 33 feet. I really didn't have hardly any issues at Thousand trails except at one place where the Campground manager was assigning sites (against Thousand Trails policies) and assigned me a site I wouldn't in any way fit into. (Might have gotten a 22 foot trailer in there but lo larger).

You can camp at any of the locations in your area of membership.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for info. Some people like to go smaller for RVing, what is the reason you like to go bigger? I am making decision on RV 33 feet vs 37 feet. The 37 feet has washer/dryer combo prep that I like, but it is longer and will bring inconvenience in finding compsite and getting around on road.
Most of the restrictions regarding length are for sites that are in State and National Parks.
Old 01-12-2021, 04:22 PM   #8

Quote:
The floor plan for our 34' Montana was a bunkhouse and we really liked it. In 15 the floor in it split from one end to the other and DW kept chirping of how we needed a new trailer. To get a new one in that same type floorplan we had, we ended up with the 40' Forest river Sierra. It had the outdoor kitchen, which wasnt a big deal, until I used it. Then that became a must. That trailer turned out to be a total turd so we did some more looking around and found the Northpoint at an rv resort we were staying at. Fell in love with it. I figured I was already pulling 40', what's another 4 or 5. Lol! We ended up finding our Northpoint at a dealer about 100 miles from home. It had the outdoor kitchen, rear bunk, master bed in the slide instead of head forward,... everything. They gave me top price for my trade and a smoking price on the Northpoint. I couldnt get there fast enough.
We knew going to the Northpoint would start to limit us on sites, but having a nicer trailer that wouldnt constantly fall apart like the Sierra did was worth it.
So, that's kinda my story in a nutshell.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:43 PM   #9

Sounds like you want to 4’ longer to get a washer dryer... I really don’t see the need for a washer dryer unless you are full-timing it. Just pack more cloths. For us, we travel up to 3 weeks at a time and just plan on a rv park with laundry facilities every 10 days or so. Our 30’ has plenty of cloths storage for a few weeks. Depending on the machine, we have been told many are only good for small light items. You may still need laundromat for the big bulky stuff.

On one hand our 30’ is great in most parks with lots of sites that work. With a larger rv, you could park just the rv in the site and park your tow vehicle in the extra vehicle parking, if allowed. Hint, pull through sites are your friends.

Even with a 30’ some of the roads in state parks have tight turns and have been a challenge to even get to the site. In a couple of situations I bet a 40’ would have been incredibly difficult.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
Sounds like you want to 4’ longer to get a washer dryer... I really don’t see the need for a washer dryer unless you are full-timing it. Just pack more cloths. For us, we travel up to 3 weeks at a time and just plan on a rv park with laundry facilities every 10 days or so. Our 30’ has plenty of cloths storage for a few weeks. Depending on the machine, we have been told many are only good for small light items. You may still need laundromat for the big bulky stuff.

On one hand our 30’ is great in most parks with lots of sites that work. With a larger rv, you could park just the rv in the site and park your tow vehicle in the extra vehicle parking, if allowed. Hint, pull through sites are your friends.

Even with a 30’ some of the roads in state parks have tight turns and have been a challenge to even get to the site. In a couple of situations I bet a 40’ would have been incredibly difficult.
If there are tight turns and narrow road, it would be better to park RV in a campsite and drive toad/rental car to be safe.

Is there a list of parks that is difficult to go to with a long RV, so that I can decide if the benefit of adding 4' for W/D overweighs its inconvenience.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:17 AM   #11

We’ve got a 37’ fw and it’s not too difficult. We’ve used state parks in Texas, Colorado, NM, AR, SD, and WY.

I enter the actual length when looking for sites. If nothing comes up, I enter 35’. Next step is google maps and occasionally street view. After that I look for forum posts and reviews of the campgrounds. I try to find those by people who have a unit similar in length. It’s worked so far. I can’t tell if you’re talking motor home or fifth wheel, but with fifth wheel, I also look for hints of low trees over the roads.

As for clothes washing....On a multi week trip, we always figure in an RV park somewhere in the trip so we can use their laundry facilities. That being said one of the best laundry rooms has been at a state park in Colorado.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:57 AM   #12

We are 40'; 56' with truck. We book about two or more months out in mostly private commercial parks and are rarely turned away.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:11 PM   #13

Quote:
If there are tight turns and narrow road, it would be better to park RV in a campsite and drive toad/rental car to be safe.

Is there a list of parks that is difficult to go to with a long RV, so that I can decide if the benefit of adding 4' for W/D overweighs its inconvenience.

I was talking about tight turns in the park to get to the assigned campsite. Older parks that have not been updated were designed for 20’ Tavel trailers, not 40’ 5th wheels.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
I was talking about tight turns in the park to get to the assigned campsite. Older parks that have not been updated were designed for 20’ Tavel trailers, not 40’ 5th wheels.
Thanks for clearing things up.
If it is inside camping ground, it is ok as long as it is not dangerous.

I was thinking of less than 30 feet, now it is getting longer and longer.

Longer RV (> 37 feet):

Gas: FlyingJ, RV friendly, no problem to fuel.
Shopping: big parking lot, no problem.
Comping ground: no problem to book
Going to park: difficult to drive on the way to park? unknown, some parks are on the top of mountains.
What else?
Old 01-14-2021, 03:36 PM   #15

Our like TxLoser said is 37' and it's not problem for us, then again since I a retired military we stay at a lot of military post rv campground but we have and do stay at some of the other also and it's not a problem.

Find out where do you want to go and do a search and go from their.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:44 AM   #16

I have not seen any problem with Ohio & Indiana state parks accommodating a 40' RV.
I had Thousand Trails for one year and never had a problem reserving a site to fit my 32' TT. Most others at Thousand Trails were longer than mine so I'm not understanding any problems to camp there?

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:29 PM   #17

Somthing to consider

Having a similar problem because of length.
Site length is "usually" measured from the tire bumper to the street, you back your tires into tje tire bumper when backing up, if your unit sits higher than the tire bumper you can hang about 4 to 6 feet over the tire bumper allowing for a bit longer unit. If your unit is 37 feet - 6 feet then really your unit could slide into a 31 or 32 foot site by hanging 4 feet over bumper...😎

Quote:
How difficult to book a camp site for 37 feet RV? For RV this long, I think it is difficult to get into parks (national or state).

How about thousand Trail membership? only a few sites in a campground are reserved for thousand trail members?
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:50 PM   #18

We are part time, full timers. We are on our 3rd RV, it’s a 28.8’ class C. I wanted to be able to fit anywhere in any park.

We bought this little washer/spin dryer. This little thing does a great job. Spin dryer gets 70-75% of the water out of your clothes! Then we hang everything up to dry. If we get backed up on our laundry and it builds up we just use a campgrounds laundry room. We use it in the shower, it’s light weight and not to big.

Next rig DW wants washer/dryer, but after using this thing I’m not sure it’s necessary for the way we RV.
Attached Thumbnails
3ADB7E6D-0676-417C-A959-8F79D995DD3C.jpg  
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:53 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Fleetman Send a message via MSN to Fleetman
My rig is a 37' Northpoint. Not too hard to get sites. 33' vs. 37' boils down to what amenities do you desire. Have also had the 45' Pinnacle, now there is definitely an issue finding sites for those.

Happy camping.

2017 North Point 315RLST
2012 F250 Lariat 2WD 6.7 diesel
Fleetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
We are part time, full timers. We are on our 3rd RV, it’s a 28.8’ class C. I wanted to be able to fit anywhere in any park.

We bought this little washer/spin dryer. This little thing does a great job. Spin dryer gets 70-75% of the water out of your clothes! Then we hang everything up to dry. If we get backed up on our laundry and it builds up we just use a campgrounds laundry room. We use it in the shower, it’s light weight and not to big.

Next rig DW wants washer/dryer, but after using this thing I’m not sure it’s necessary for the way we RV.
Where do you store it when not in use? put in outside storage?