RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-12-2021, 11:16 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Colorado
Posts: 169
How difficult to book a camp site for 37 feet RV?

How difficult to book a camp site for 37 feet RV? For RV this long, I think it is difficult to get into parks (national or state).

How about thousand Trail membership? only a few sites in a campground are reserved for thousand trail members?
brightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:22 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
RAurand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,644
Well, as far as Thousand Trail membership, My mother-in-law had a membership that also included the kids. (That's how my wife and I used it) 1st. The sires are 1st come 1st served. No reserved sites. We used to have to get to a thousand Trails on Wednesday afternoon or no later than noon on Thursday to get a decent site. If you came in on Friday late afternoon or evening.... You were going out to the "South 40 to camp" We were also limited to the East Coast and there are not a lot of camp grounds.

However, if you are full timing and traveling, it MIGHT Maybe be worth it. We gave ours up.
__________________

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:44 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Colorado
Posts: 169
Is there a limit for number of sites (or size of sites) allocated for Thousand Trail membership? e.g. 10 sites: 2 big sites, 8 small sites
brightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:52 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Lake Huron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Port Huron, Mi
Posts: 1,154
Our previous was a 40' 5th wheel. When booking sites at state parks in Michigan you pit in the dates and equipment size and the site will give you what's available for size and date. Problem is we know it doesnt give us a bunch of sites due to the equipment size and we know it would fit. They say site X is good for a trailer up to 35' yet the site is 30' X 45'. So we put in smaller equipment to give us more site options. Look over the site dimensions and pics of the site. Sometimes we'll google maps the campground/sites using the satellite view so we can see if there is a tree, fire pit, etc.. that may be in the way restricting us from getting our trailer on it.
Our first 5th was a 34' Montana and we could fit that in pretty much any site at our state parks. The 40' was a little more restrictive than the 34' but... the 45' Northpoint we have now.... that's another story. Lol!
__________________
2017 North Point 375BHFS
2015 Silverado 3500HD Crew Dually Dmax 4x4
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:24 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Colorado
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Our previous was a 40' 5th wheel. When booking sites at state parks in Michigan you pit in the dates and equipment size and the site will give you what's available for size and date. Problem is we know it doesnt give us a bunch of sites due to the equipment size and we know it would fit. They say site X is good for a trailer up to 35' yet the site is 30' X 45'. So we put in smaller equipment to give us more site options. Look over the site dimensions and pics of the site. Sometimes we'll google maps the campground/sites using the satellite view so we can see if there is a tree, fire pit, etc.. that may be in the way restricting us from getting our trailer on it.
Our first 5th was a 34' Montana and we could fit that in pretty much any site at our state parks. The 40' was a little more restrictive than the 34' but... the 45' Northpoint we have now.... that's another story. Lol!
Thanks for info. Some people like to go smaller for RVing, what is the reason you like to go bigger? I am making decision on RV 33 feet vs 37 feet. The 37 feet has washer/dryer combo prep that I like, but it is longer and will bring inconvenience in finding compsite and getting around on road.
brightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:39 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
RAurand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
Is there a limit for number of sites (or size of sites) allocated for Thousand Trail membership? e.g. 10 sites: 2 big sites, 8 small sites
1 site per trailer and membership (You can put up a tent) But, since they are 1st come 1st served, You pick the sites available. My Trailer is 33 feet. I really didn't have hardly any issues at Thousand trails except at one place where the Campground manager was assigning sites (against Thousand Trails policies) and assigned me a site I wouldn't in any way fit into. (Might have gotten a 22 foot trailer in there but lo larger).

You can camp at any of the locations in your area of membership.
__________________

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:59 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 10,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
Thanks for info. Some people like to go smaller for RVing, what is the reason you like to go bigger? I am making decision on RV 33 feet vs 37 feet. The 37 feet has washer/dryer combo prep that I like, but it is longer and will bring inconvenience in finding compsite and getting around on road.
Most of the restrictions regarding length are for sites that are in State and National Parks.
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:22 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Lake Huron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Port Huron, Mi
Posts: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
Thanks for info. Some people like to go smaller for RVing, what is the reason you like to go bigger? I am making decision on RV 33 feet vs 37 feet. The 37 feet has washer/dryer combo prep that I like, but it is longer and will bring inconvenience in finding compsite and getting around on road.
The floor plan for our 34' Montana was a bunkhouse and we really liked it. In 15 the floor in it split from one end to the other and DW kept chirping of how we needed a new trailer. To get a new one in that same type floorplan we had, we ended up with the 40' Forest river Sierra. It had the outdoor kitchen, which wasnt a big deal, until I used it. Then that became a must. That trailer turned out to be a total turd so we did some more looking around and found the Northpoint at an rv resort we were staying at. Fell in love with it. I figured I was already pulling 40', what's another 4 or 5. Lol! We ended up finding our Northpoint at a dealer about 100 miles from home. It had the outdoor kitchen, rear bunk, master bed in the slide instead of head forward,... everything. They gave me top price for my trade and a smoking price on the Northpoint. I couldnt get there fast enough.
We knew going to the Northpoint would start to limit us on sites, but having a nicer trailer that wouldnt constantly fall apart like the Sierra did was worth it.
So, that's kinda my story in a nutshell.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:43 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Rock Island
Posts: 717
Sounds like you want to 4’ longer to get a washer dryer... I really don’t see the need for a washer dryer unless you are full-timing it. Just pack more cloths. For us, we travel up to 3 weeks at a time and just plan on a rv park with laundry facilities every 10 days or so. Our 30’ has plenty of cloths storage for a few weeks. Depending on the machine, we have been told many are only good for small light items. You may still need laundromat for the big bulky stuff.

On one hand our 30’ is great in most parks with lots of sites that work. With a larger rv, you could park just the rv in the site and park your tow vehicle in the extra vehicle parking, if allowed. Hint, pull through sites are your friends.

Even with a 30’ some of the roads in state parks have tight turns and have been a challenge to even get to the site. In a couple of situations I bet a 40’ would have been incredibly difficult.
__________________
2017 Eagle 291RSTS
2017 Chevy Silverado Duramax 2500
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:02 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Colorado
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
Sounds like you want to 4’ longer to get a washer dryer... I really don’t see the need for a washer dryer unless you are full-timing it. Just pack more cloths. For us, we travel up to 3 weeks at a time and just plan on a rv park with laundry facilities every 10 days or so. Our 30’ has plenty of cloths storage for a few weeks. Depending on the machine, we have been told many are only good for small light items. You may still need laundromat for the big bulky stuff.

On one hand our 30’ is great in most parks with lots of sites that work. With a larger rv, you could park just the rv in the site and park your tow vehicle in the extra vehicle parking, if allowed. Hint, pull through sites are your friends.

Even with a 30’ some of the roads in state parks have tight turns and have been a challenge to even get to the site. In a couple of situations I bet a 40’ would have been incredibly difficult.
If there are tight turns and narrow road, it would be better to park RV in a campsite and drive toad/rental car to be safe.

Is there a list of parks that is difficult to go to with a long RV, so that I can decide if the benefit of adding 4' for W/D overweighs its inconvenience.
brightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:17 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
TxLoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,315
We’ve got a 37’ fw and it’s not too difficult. We’ve used state parks in Texas, Colorado, NM, AR, SD, and WY.

I enter the actual length when looking for sites. If nothing comes up, I enter 35’. Next step is google maps and occasionally street view. After that I look for forum posts and reviews of the campgrounds. I try to find those by people who have a unit similar in length. It’s worked so far. I can’t tell if you’re talking motor home or fifth wheel, but with fifth wheel, I also look for hints of low trees over the roads.

As for clothes washing....On a multi week trip, we always figure in an RV park somewhere in the trip so we can use their laundry facilities. That being said one of the best laundry rooms has been at a state park in Colorado.
__________________
2019 Eagle 321RSTS
2019 Chevy 3500HD SRW Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:57 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Joan617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Las Cruces (soon...)
Posts: 758
We are 40'; 56' with truck. We book about two or more months out in mostly private commercial parks and are rarely turned away.


Angus
__________________
Joan & Angus Campbell
Building in Las Cruces, NM
2019 Pinnacle 36SSWS
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:11 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Rock Island
Posts: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
If there are tight turns and narrow road, it would be better to park RV in a campsite and drive toad/rental car to be safe.

Is there a list of parks that is difficult to go to with a long RV, so that I can decide if the benefit of adding 4' for W/D overweighs its inconvenience.

I was talking about tight turns in the park to get to the assigned campsite. Older parks that have not been updated were designed for 20’ Tavel trailers, not 40’ 5th wheels.
__________________
2017 Eagle 291RSTS
2017 Chevy Silverado Duramax 2500
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:26 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Colorado
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
I was talking about tight turns in the park to get to the assigned campsite. Older parks that have not been updated were designed for 20’ Tavel trailers, not 40’ 5th wheels.
Thanks for clearing things up.
If it is inside camping ground, it is ok as long as it is not dangerous.

I was thinking of less than 30 feet, now it is getting longer and longer.

Longer RV (> 37 feet):

Gas: FlyingJ, RV friendly, no problem to fuel.
Shopping: big parking lot, no problem.
Comping ground: no problem to book
Going to park: difficult to drive on the way to park? unknown, some parks are on the top of mountains.
What else?
brightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:36 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Big1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lakewood, WA.
Posts: 2,893
Our like TxLoser said is 37' and it's not problem for us, then again since I a retired military we stay at a lot of military post rv campground but we have and do stay at some of the other also and it's not a problem.

Find out where do you want to go and do a search and go from their.
__________________
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L CTD
2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS 5th Wheel
Retired Army MSG
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:44 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 435
I have not seen any problem with Ohio & Indiana state parks accommodating a 40' RV.
I had Thousand Trails for one year and never had a problem reserving a site to fit my 32' TT. Most others at Thousand Trails were longer than mine so I'm not understanding any problems to camp there?
__________________

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.