Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #1

How do I lubricate the slide?

Hi Friends,
One problem that we did have on our first trip is that our slide got stuck in the open position. I pushed the button to bring it in and only the bottom moved. The top was stuck and it was tipping in and up, but not moving.

Of course we stopped it and tried a couple more times.. no luck.
So then my husband came inside and pulled on the top while i pushed the button.. and it came in.

However.. it obviously needs some sort of lubricant. The dealer never mentioned anything, so I would like a suggestion, and also how to apply it.
We also heard that you can get some sort of canopy to cover the slide. Are these worth the money?
Thanks
Lady W

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #2

LW that is not a lubricant issue but an out of alingment issue. I had a similar issue with the going out position that a top corner was catching due it being too high on the adjustment.

You need to see the dealer for that issue. There is nothing on lop to lubricate but only the bottom rails which could be dry or wet grease depending on the mechanisim.

Traveling and settleing of the rig is why that is now catching.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #3

we bought a lubricant made for the slide. Our slides are underneath and the guy at camping world gave me a good tip... when you spray the slide put a big piece of cardboard above the slides which is the underneath of your slide. Do this because if it gets on the bottom, when you pull the slide in it will get on your interior. I thought that was a great tip because I never would have thought of it. If you don't have the awning, you must sweep off any debris b4 you pull your slide in.
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
Site Team

I agree with 3`senough. Your slide most likely needs adjusting, not lubricating. I would have this handled by the dealer.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #5

Ok.. and I guess a ladder and broom might be cheaper than a slide canopy..

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywendolyn View Post
Ok.. and I guess a ladder and broom might be cheaper than a slide canopy..
LW ... I have had slide toppers on every RV we owned with a slide out... worth every penny.. keeps debris like leaves, pine cones, small twigs off the membrane roof of the slide and possibly damaging it... only downside is they can collect water during a rain.... I just run the slide in and "dump" the water and then run the slide back out...

as far as lube... I keep the outside walls of the slide waxed real well and spray the rails and gears with WD-40 peroidically... I would avoid any heavy or greasy lubricant that can collect dirt.... not JMHO... recommended by the dealer...

Joe
SMI Stay-IN-Play DUO
JaycoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
Site Team

The entire mechanism on this model is under the sofa. That is where the rack, gear ,motor, and adjustment brackets are located and also where any adjustments would be made, I`ve tweeked mine a bit as one corner was higher then the other and the slide was not seating properly. The rack and gear can be lubed there as needed also. The slide rubber seals should be treated occasionally with slide seal lube/treatment.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #8

I spray the slide seals with a silicone spray it helps protect the seals only takes 2 minutes..
rheyco is offline   Reply With Quote