Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #1

How do KOAs work?

We'll be staying in our first KOA over the holiday (Williamsburg, VA). We made the reservation many months ago. I called today and asked what site number we were assigned (since I was not given the option to select a site when I made the reservation). The response was that they have us down for the type of site we requested, however, it's not until we arrive that we'll actually be assigned to one of those sites.

I'm not sure I like that. If I happened to know what site I wanted to be at (from having stayed there in the past), do I not have the option to request that site? Is it those that first arrive that get their choice?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated, AND if anyone has ever stated at the Williamsburg KOA, I'd be interested in hearing your experience and/or any tips/advice you might have.
Honda EU2000i Generator
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #2

When you make a reservation at any KOA you can make a special site request or other request (close to bath house, satellite friendly, etc), you will be told that they will try to honor it, but it is not guaranteed. 99% of the time our request has been honored at every KOA were we have made one.

The no guatantee policy is just like many hotel/motel reservations.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #3

In the past, I had requested a specific site at the KOA in Saint Louis on several occasions but never got the one requested...close but no cigar

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #4

Although it isn't a KOA, there is a private beach CG we're I live that doesn't provide site assignments until you arrive. I'm little Type A, really want to know we're I am going to be and want to reserve specific sites, but they are the best CG in this area and I have to put up with it.

Once, while checking in, I asked why and they said it was more so they could control RV types in certain sites, and it gave them more flexibility to keep groups together. I guess they tried to be site specific at one point and people in PUPs and small trailers were taking spots the CG designed for largest RVs.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

During my recent trip, I would always ask to look at what was available.
They always were glad to give me a list or circle the sites open on their map.
I would go look and pick the best site for me. The site they assign you is not always the site I pick out of what's available.
I would think if you know your site and your a member, they would try their best to hold it for you.
JMHO

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #6

My daughter and her family are going to Williamsburg today. I hope it is dryer than here. nothing but rain for 2 days now.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
My daughter and her family are going to Williamsburg today. I hope it is dryer than here. nothing but rain for 2 days now.
We are in the N Georgia Mountains for the weekend, nothing but rain here too Ed !!!!

Fist CG we stopped at was flooded with the water rising, they were trying to get RVs out of the water.

We went to another CG on higher ground, getting flash flood warnings on our phone.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #8

I think the policy gives them the most flexibility to accommodate campers. A site with utilities set up for a large motor home towing a dighy does not always work well for a TT when you don't want to unhook for a one night stay. You can't really tell things like that from the site map, but they usually know what works. Sometimes people want to stay a extra day and would rather not change spots. They have never failed to let me move if I don't like the site they gave me.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

It's been raining for a week here in SW Ohio.
Going to be a downpour with tropical rains today and tomorrow July 4th, 5th.
Flash flood warnings until Friday 6pm

Hopefully weather breaks next week to go camping locally.

Safe travels to all,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 07-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
It's been raining in the Williamsburg area since last week (we just returned) - but 0% chance of rain the next 4 days. VERY hot and humid....bring sunscreen.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
During my recent trip, I would always ask to look at what was available.
They always were glad to give me a list or circle the sites open on their map.
I would go look and pick the best site for me. The site they assign you is not always the site I pick out of what's available.
I would think if you know your site and your a member, they would try their best to hold it for you.
JMHO

Doug
Not a Rewards member, but at our recent weekend at KOA St. Augustine Beach, I was given a choice of 3 pull thru sites; was hoping for a fairly shaded one but none of them were. So, we took the one in the middle of campground that wasn't too close to the entry or exit.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #12

We're here in the North Carolina mountains.....it's rained all week...on and off...mostly on. Thank goodness we're on high ground, because the creeks are swollen. I think the local fireworks are going to get rained out; forecast is for more rain and more rain and more rain. Thank goodness the potluck dinner is inside.

As for KOA's.....don't like 'em. We call them "KeepOnAdding". They justify their high prices by saying "look at all the extras we have" and then they tend to charge you for those extras. I'm not interested in go-karts and jumping pillows and hayrides and don't want to pay for the privilege of them. Besides, I'm getting grouchy in my old age and don't like my swimming pools and hot tubs full of shrieking children (now, in my defense, I love children but I don't care for shrieking ones .... even mine...especially mine.... I've put in my time...) and babies in swim diapers (yuk...it only delays the inevitable).
Jamarynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I use KOA's when I don't have a clue where to camp.
I see them like McDonalds. I know I will get some basic things that are important to me.
I know the bathrooms will be clean, they'll have propane on site, a pool, are dog friendly and will have a camp store.
I've been to some average KOA's and I've been to some very nice ones. Never had a total dump.
Can't beat State Parks for beauty, but sometimes I want full hook ups and they aren't available or they have limited dog sites.

KOA's and Good Sam CG's give you some confidence that you'll be satisfied with your stay.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 07-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #14

Doug, with your experience do campgrounds have designated sites for dogs like hotel and cabins?????
GBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrown View Post
Doug, with your experience do campgrounds have designated sites for dogs like hotel and cabins?????
GBrown,
As far as I know, all KOA sites allow dogs. I've never seen designated pet sites except at SP's.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 07-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
GBrown,
As far as I know, all KOA sites allow dogs. I've never seen designated pet sites except at SP's.

Doug
And Fort Wilderness at Disney World.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #17

How do KOAs work?

We are at the KOA Williamsburg now. Very disappointed with our site and the room around it (or lack thereof). We had no options. The little wedge of grass the picnic table sits on is a swamp thus unusable. Beyond going to the dinky pool or walking around the gravel lanes, there is no room to sit in lawn chairs and actually enjoy the outside around our TT. We are also disgusted with the $72 children's activity fee that was tacked on to our bill (3 children x 4 nights x $6).

I guess it's just reinforcement to the fact of how much we love state park campgrounds over these types of places...I'll take partial/no hookups for trees/space/privacy at a fraction of the price any day.
Honda EU2000i Generator
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5arnolds View Post
We are also disgusted with the $72 children's activity fee that was tacked on to our bill (3 children x 4 nights x $6).....
ouch.....
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamarynn1 View Post
We're here in the North Carolina mountains.....it's rained all week...on and off...mostly on. Thank goodness we're on high ground, because the creeks are swollen. I think the local fireworks are going to get rained out; forecast is for more rain and more rain and more rain. Thank goodness the potluck dinner is inside.

As for KOA's.....don't like 'em. We call them "KeepOnAdding". They justify their high prices by saying "look at all the extras we have" and then they tend to charge you for those extras. I'm not interested in go-karts and jumping pillows and hayrides and don't want to pay for the privilege of them. Besides, I'm getting grouchy in my old age and don't like my swimming pools and hot tubs full of shrieking children (now, in my defense, I love children but I don't care for shrieking ones .... even mine...especially mine.... I've put in my time...) and babies in swim diapers (yuk...it only delays the inevitable).
Sounds like you should be dry camping in the middle of nowhere!,
Old 07-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry you got a bad CG. I hate when that happens. They can make things look so good on their website. The children's activity fee seems excessive. Since I don't have kids, have never knew what the fees were. I see more state parks in our future as well.
Best wishes to find a silver lining somewhere.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS