Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #1

How do you add an extra ac vent in a bunkhouse?

It appears alot of people have issues with cooling the bunkhouse areas of their rv's. I am going to attempt to divert the air directly into the ducts in hope of increasing air flow. A member here has mentioned doing it with flashing and metal duct tape. I'm going to give it a try. He also mentioned adding another vent on the bunkhouse. That makes sense as well. Any ideas on how to go about adding an extra vent in that area?
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #2

It shouldn't be hard to locate where to install an extra vent. The duct-work runs in-line, front to rear just off-center to the A/C return air intake.

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ, CC, 4X4
2005 Jayco Talon ZX24-E Toy Hauler(SOLD).
2017 Forest River Hyper Lite XLR
Prodigy P2 Brake Control
12K Husky Straight Line WD Hitch
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #3

How do you add an extra ac vent in a bunkhouse?

Here's another idea that's worked good for us. Use a Vornado fan to circulate the air throughout the bunkhouse. Here's a link to the one we use:

http://www.vornado.com/circulators/6...ize-Circulator

We either put it in the hallway right outside the bunkhouse and aim it at the center of the ceiling inside the bunkhouse or we put it in the center of the bunkhouse and aim it straight up. It does an amazing job of circulating air back there and you can feel it from almost every place in the back. Vornados are awesome if you've ever seen one in action. We've been very happy with the results and it's a great addition to the camper.

John
Equalizer 12K
Forgvn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgvn77 View Post
Here's another idea that's worked good for us. Use a Vornado fan to circulate the air throughout the bunkhouse. Here's a link to the one we use:

http://www.vornado.com/circulators/6...ize-Circulator

We either put it in the hallway right outside the bunkhouse and aim it at the center of the ceiling inside the bunkhouse or we put it in the center of the bunkhouse and aim it straight up. It does an amazing job of circulating air back there and you can feel it from almost every place in the back. Vornados are awesome if you've ever seen one in action. We've been very happy with the results and it's a great addition to the camper.

John
Hmm, I may try the 753 model before committing to adding that 2nd AC unit up front. Thanks for the tip.

Mike
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefos View Post
Hmm, I may try the 753 model before committing to adding that 2nd AC unit up front. Thanks for the tip.

Mike
Also consider trying the AC diverter. It uses flashing to push the air into the ducts rather than straight down. I am going to try both before investing in a second ac unit. I did find a mobile rv tech that would do it for $1400. He would use a marine type plug on the back of the TT, that is a push and twist connection. He told me the plug, and power cord alone was close to $300. Add about another $700 for the ac unit and I guess about $400 for him. If this doesn't work I may go that route. Here is a link to the mod, looks in-expensive and fairly easy to do.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...bunkhouse-area

Old 02-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
Also consider trying the AC diverter. It uses flashing to push the air into the ducts rather than straight down. I am going to try both before investing in a second ac unit. I did find a mobile rv tech that would do it for $1400. He would use a marine type plug on the back of the TT, that is a push and twist connection. He told me the plug, and power cord alone was close to $300. Add about another $700 for the ac unit and I guess about $400 for him. If this doesn't work I may go that route. Here is a link to the mod, looks in-expensive and fairly easy to do.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...bunkhouse-area
That is a very interesting idea. The next time I'm at the TT I will have to pull the Chill Grille cover and check it out. I assume you still get some cold air coming out of the grille too, right?

Mike
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #7

I did this mod and have to say it did make a dramatic improvement in airflow. I added a second vent to the bunk house using my zip tool and found the exact matching vent on e-bay.

Upon adding the flashing mod to the chill grill I had construction debris from the initial construction flowing out due to the increased airflow. Another mod which I think also makes a large improvement is the plexi door, self closing mod which will cut down on the loss of cold air during entry and exit. With kids constantly coming and going and not closing the door the hot air rushed in and heated up the trailer. Now both doors self close and I can just keep the hard door open for easier access and viewing of what my kids are doing should I be inside.

You're not going to hang meat in it but it does make it very comfortable during the warmer days. I have not measured the difference in temp between the bunkhouse and living area but it was not real noticeable with the new mod.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefos View Post
That is a very interesting idea. The next time I'm at the TT I will have to pull the Chill Grille cover and check it out. I assume you still get some cold air coming out of the grille too, right?

Mike
my understanding is that you lose the cold air coming from the grill. The only place that doesn't cool to my satisfaction is the bunkhouse. I never use the grill vent anyways since I have 2 ducted vents in the living area, one in the front bedroom, and one in the bathroom(which I normally close anyways). But if you want the air from the grill, this mod won't let you.