Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #1

How do you feel about Winter?

We're in northern Pennsylvania and it sure looks like Winter is here. Yesterday we had a few inches of snow, today is cold. The ten day forecast is all cold with more snow on the horizon.

We moved up here a few years ago from south Jersey. Winter there was mild, lots of sunshine, but the Summer heat is brutal. Here Summer is beautiful, but the Winter is "not mild". I much prefer the climate where we are now. Winter is like hitting the reset button - everything goes into hibernation and then emerges again in the Spring and it's like a brand-new life. You wear different clothes, eat different meals - the daily routines of the two seasons are polar opposites. The Winter you and the Summer you are also polar opposites.

Having lived in the Northeast all my life I can't imagine there not being two such disparate seasons every year with the transition seasons in between. So what say you my Friends? How is it where you live? I'll hang up and listen.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:15 PM   #2

We live on the south shore of Georgian Bay. Winter is great but maybe that's because we are in AZ/CA with the trailer from Boxing Day to end of April.

I've been in this area pretty much all my life. I used to ski and snowmobile but as I got older I decided I like the cold/snow/wet more and more. Winter used to be great, snow came in November and gone in May. Now it's more like extended fall/spring with ice/mud/snow/rain/cold/warm/whatever.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
Site Team

Was born and raised in Northern NY, so winter is not just a season, it's a way of life. Speaking of seasons, there's only two up there, winter, and the 4th of July.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #4

Having lived all my 50-something years in Canada, mostly in the second coldest capital city in the world (debatable, but close), I am starting to tire of winter "just a little bit". Right now I have two seasons - "camping" and "dreaming of camping". Looking forward to retirement in a few more years and being able to follow the warmth down south for the winter and then follow the cool up north for the summer.

I'm sure we'll return home for a month or so every winter; can't miss the kids (and <gulp> possibly grand-kids by then) for Christmas, and still can't imagine Christmas without snow. I don't ski or skate much anymore (once or twice a year) - the wipeouts hurt too much now. Will probably keep doing both once a year though just to say I can.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #5

Winter you say? I don't think it can get here soon enough!
Attached Thumbnails
Renegade XRS 850.jpg  

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
Site Team

I love Fall, but Winter to me gets old real fast even here in VA .
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:50 PM   #7

Here in the Canadian Prairies, we have four seasons: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Construction. They each last around four months each, which means they overlap. Our "camping" season -- which really is just something we do during one of the above four seasons -- lasts from mid-May to mid-September. Winnipeg is one of the few places where you can switch from heat to air conditioning and back to heat in the same day.

Here's the view out our back door, complete with the outside thermometer reading around -5*C.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1053.jpg  
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
Winter you say? I don't think it can get here soon enough!
I am with you ! Cant wait
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
Here in the Canadian Prairies, we have four seasons: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Construction. They each last around four months each, which means they overlap. Our "camping" season -- which really is just something we do during one of the above four seasons -- lasts from mid-May to mid-September. Winnipeg is one of the few places where you can switch from heat to air conditioning and back to heat in the same day.

Here's the view out our back door, complete with the outside thermometer reading around -5*C.
Winterpeg

Not getting to minus numbers here until nearer to the weekend.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Having lived all my 50-something years in Canada, mostly in the second coldest capital city in the world (debatable, but close), I am starting to tire of winter "just a little bit". Right now I have two seasons - "camping" and "dreaming of camping". Looking forward to retirement in a few more years and being able to follow the warmth down south for the winter and then follow the cool up north for the summer.

I'm sure we'll return home for a month or so every winter; can't miss the kids (and <gulp> possibly grand-kids by then) for Christmas, and still can't imagine Christmas without snow. I don't ski or skate much anymore (once or twice a year) - the wipeouts hurt too much now. Will probably keep doing both once a year though just to say I can.
The Americans only let us Canucks come for 6mo/yr so we pick the winter months

We leave on Boxing Day for the SW but in the future may leave earlier and fly back for Xmas. Wouldn't mind being able to make some stops on the way instead of hightailing it as quick as possible to AZ while trying to avoid snowstorms.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:27 PM   #11

I have already had enough winter.I think we have had 4-6 inches of snow already, luckily it has all melted. Today's low I think was 18 deg F. Right now it is 36F.

It is suppose to be cool this weekend with a little snow. I'm sSuppose to go tent camping with the scouts this weekend, but it might get canceled as we do not have enough adult commitment

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:44 PM   #12

We just got 10 inches of snow and zero temps already here in MT. Yes the contrast is very different between summer and winter. Lived in Alaska for a few years too and that was even more of a polar opposite, which is where we determined the long and dark winters were too long and dark and moved back down....
Jonright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:09 PM   #13

I live in Winnipeg, AKA, Winterpeg. Winter can be very cold and long. While I work outside for a living (in water most of the time too), I love winter. It has to be the absolute coldest to bother me at all, then I just need a neckwarmer.

Ice fishing? Yes please!!
Kravchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:47 PM   #14

Born and raised in Massachusetts and living in New Hampshire, winter is a part of life. The older I get, the less I like it, but I do like sitting in front of the wood stove, the smell of wood smoke in the air during a snow storm and the fresh, clean air. By the end of January, I have had enough and pray for an early spring.😀😀

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:48 PM   #15

I live near Buffalo, NY. We have beautiful summers and while I like the change of seasons, by the end of January we're off to SW Florida 'till April. Of course, there's always a snow storm when we leave!
Old 11-08-2017, 05:15 PM   #16

I love winter, temperature is in the 70's instead of 90's, humidity is in the 60's instead of 9O's and I don't have to cut the grass!! What's not to love?
herbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #17
Site Team

Here in south western PA, we haven really has a winter in a few years. Heck, last year we were playing golf in January and February. When we have a real winter, I love it.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:57 PM   #18

Kinda have a love/hate relationship with winter - love it for sledding/wood stove fires/'real' Christmas feel.

Hate it 'cos I smoke (strictly outdoors only). And wear glasses, darnit!

Camping buddies: SWMBO, 2 Kids, 2 Pooches
Wldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #19

My wife and I grew up in Southern NJ and lived 30 some years there. We moved to Southeast GA 11 years go. We spend the warm spring, fall and winter here and spend our summer in NJ. It can get cold here in February, which is usually our coldest month. Highs in the upper 40s/low 50s with a couple nights in the upper 20s/low 30s. Last year we did not have a hard freeze. I don't think I winterized at all last year, when we owned the Motorhome, we used it all year.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:01 AM   #20

I've spent nearly all of my 56 years just north of NYC.

Winters here vary greatly year to year.

Most days from November through April have freezing nights with above freezing days. Except the 2-3 spells of 3-4 days where the daytime high doesn't get to 30 with bitter-cold nights. And and almost equal days where it doesn't get below freezing at night and we see 60F during the day.

Snowfall each year is really crazy! Years where we get 3 or 4 dustings. Other years we get 3"-5" of snow every 6 days.

Prep for the worst. Do battle with Nature during the snowfall to keep the road passable. Clean up the edges after the snow stops.

Its all gone by May!

I love living where we have 4 very different seasons. Summers can see 100F for a few days. Spring starts as mud and ends green. Fall colors can't be matched. Winter is the price to pay for the other 3.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote