Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-25-2018, 04:39 AM   #1
Lost in the Woods

Smile How do you find new equipment and upgrade?

Hello everyone

I am Emmywota.
I want to install some up-to-date product of like water purification system or antenna.
Where do you find and touch it? Shop, RV show , web or else?
My location is South California and I am new to RV life.
It will be great if you can share any idea.

Thank you!
Emmywota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:36 AM   #2

I will usually go to an RV dealer and check it out if I want to put my hands on it before buying. Then depending on cost I will either buy there or check Amazon/eBay.

As far as finding out about products asking about it here or using the search functions would be your best bets.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:39 AM   #3

Camping World would be another suggestion as they have many stores.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:12 AM   #4

Also check out youtube for product reviews and installations.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:36 AM   #5

Welcome aboard!

You do not mention what you have for a camper. Some campers are setup for a water filtration system. My 23B, is setup for an inline water filter on the cold water line at the kitchen sink. I have never used it as it looks to be hard to reach and change out.

Many people just buy the cheap blue Camco disposable RV filter. You can buy them at Walmart, or online. If you are handy at all, you can go to DIY big box hardware store (IE Home Depot, Lowes, etc), buy an inline home water filter, plumbing fittings to convert the threads from pipe fittings to hose fittings. Then you just replace the filter media, with what ever media you want. In the long run it is cheaper, and a better filter. most people tend to hook them up between the hose spiggot and the camper.

As for the antenna, Do you want better TV reception or receive satellite? The radio has a separate antenna. There are a few options out there, but not a lot. Tell us what you want to accomplish. Sometimes the issue is understanding how the antenna works. Some of them you have to crank it up and then rotate to find the channel you want. Also most TTs have a signal booster you can turn on.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:01 PM   #6

Whether I'm buying a water filter (as I just did last week) or a generator, tire protectors, etc., I turn to the internet to do my research.

I start with using a search engine for product descriptions and reviews. I almost always use Youtube to learn about the product, both from the manufacturer who is likely to have their own video, and to view videos of other people who have bought and/or use the product.

Generally, by the time I've done my research, actually seeing and laying hands on the product isn't necessary. As I narrow my search, I'll look at the product(s) locally and possibly purchase locally, but I'm generally satisfied doing my online research.

It use to be, we had to rely on magazines, retail salesmen, or word of mouth to learn about products. Magazines generally wouldn't be honest, as the maker of the product was likely one of their advertisers. You could become aware of the product, but couldn't rely on them to be unbiased. Relying on a salesman was pretty much hit or miss. They're biased, and if they don't know what they're talking about, they don't alert you to that fact. Word of mouth was a fifty/fifty proposition at best.

Using the internet is no guarantee, but there's usually a large volume of information to sift through, and usually I feel confident I've separated the wheat from the chaff.

I'm thinking about getting an autopilot for my 28 foot sailboat right now. There isn't much available, and research shows that the most popular unit has almost non-existent manufacturer support, a bad installation manual that's actually for the previous model, and youtube videos that all seem to agree that the installation is overly difficult. I've concluded to save my $1,600.00 for now. Without the internet, I would have been in for some unpleasant surprises.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:54 PM   #7

I go to some kind of shop. For RV stuff that usually means a Camping World or similar. There is an independent dealer across the street from our current hangout.

TV antenna are more 'universal' these days with the popularity of tailgate parties. Besides the RV places try a Best Buy or Frys electronics or some of the bigger trucker shops. Same with cell booster systems or WiFi boosters.

PS when I find what I want in a shop I buy it there, even if it costs more than online. My way to say thanks to them for staying in business.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote