Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2015, 08:05 AM   #1

How do you fix this ?

I Did not want to see this, this morning. It was not there last week. If it was I'm blind. Can this be fixed, is it expensive, will it get worse if left? What caused it? That's where the bathroom is.Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1433772314173.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	18536Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1433772326703.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	18537
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:28 AM   #2

If that's where the bathroom it, I'm guessing you have a water leak. Yes, it's serious. And it could be expensive. An RV dealer can give you more information and probably repair it.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:05 AM   #3

I don't mind a little bit of work or money but it's an 8 yr old small camper I'm thinking of selling for a bigger unit anyway. I'm not putting any serious money into it.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:37 AM   #4

Then don't delay. If it's from a water leak the wood in walls will start to break down an get soft and start growing mold as well.

I'd check the wall at the bottom from under the trailer and see if it's already starting to break down.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:20 AM   #5

I was having a good day. Y'all are confirming my fears. Not ready to trade yet and I'm leaving tomorrow for 6 weeks. Its gonna have to sit til I get home in August.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #6

The first thing you'll need to get the fiberglass side fixed, is a wallet full of money.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #7

That looks like classic delam to me. It could be coming from that clearance light too. Pull that light off for a look at the core.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:15 PM   #8

But first (before fixing the siding IMO) you need to know what caused it. Is it water leakage from the bathroom? From the roof? From that side marker there? From an adjacent window? From that corner seam? I would concentrate on isolating the cause of the delam first.

Of course, if you're just going to get rid of it anyway, perhaps you don't care what's causing it, you just want it fixed enough so it doesn't stand out to a potential buyer.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
if you're just going to get rid of it anyway, perhaps you don't care what's causing it, you just want it fixed enough so it doesn't stand out to a potential buyer.
Man, I wouldn't want to buy anything from you.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch Pin View Post
Man, I wouldn't want to buy anything from you.
LOL! That's not something I would do, but it's certainly something I would be looking for on a used unit I was looking to purchase.

No, if it were me personally, I would fix it right.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:40 PM   #11

Hi folks, I'm new to RV's but old (???) to boating.
is this fiberglass laminated over plywood?
If it is, it's easy (by boating standards) to be fixed.
If you found and solved the leaking problem, just grind the fiberglass off, cut the rotten plywood off, put new plywood in and use epoxy resin to laminate over it again.
There are tons of "how to do it" videos around.
You save a lot of money doing this.
The resin and all that stuff you can buy at Noah's ...

For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless ... Ecclesiastes 2:21
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:44 PM   #12

Well this has been an all around crappy day. Talked with a local rv fixer, not a dealer. Decided to drop it off with him to look at for the next 2 weeks While I'm gone and give me a solution and a price. While taking it across town my brakes on my suburban failed and I ran into another car. Minor damage nobody hurt. Trailer brakes almost had me stopped. Another 2 feet and I wouldn't have hit him. Turns out I went to the dump first thing this morning and I ran over something while on top of the hill. I heard it and checked for scratches, none found didn't give it a second thought. Apparently I broke a brake line. Not enough to completely empty but enough to slowly leak out and not maintain pressure. Got my son to bring me my Escape and got the trailer to the mechanic. Now I'm sitting in a parking lot waiting for a tow truck to take the suburban back to the house.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:49 PM   #13

When it rains, it pours. In the grand scheme of things realize that you had a MINOR accident while you were towing a RECREATIONAL vehicle. You are safe, the other guy is safe. You have another vehicle to use. I know it sucks, but things could be a lot worse.

Have a safe night and a safe trip. All the problems that we have on this forum are FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS. I know it doesn't feel like it, but it is very minor in the long term.

Good luck brother, keep your head up!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:31 AM   #14

Yep, leaving today to go back offshore for 2 weeks and earn the money to fix everything.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:21 AM   #15

We have delamination on our 11-year-old camper around the same area, but ours runs from the top to the bottom, and is about 12 inches wide. It's not very visible except in direct sunlight. Anyway, the cause of ours was a leaky roof that was fixed by Jayco, according to the dealer. For whatever reason, they didn't fix the delaminated sidewall when they fixed the roof, but they replaced the roof and the back wall.... Anyway, we've had this camper for 2 years now and the delam has not gotten any worse. If you're considering keeping it short term, find the source of the leak, stop it, and just keep an eye on the delam to see if it gets worse. I'd disclose the delam during a sale, so onus is on the buyer whether they still want it or not. We're enjoying ours, and have had no other leak problems. I'd say don't fret over it too much.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #16

Depending on what the maintenance guy finds, I'm of the opinion, to stop what caused it first and foremost. If damage wont get any worse, I'm ok with leaving it like it is. Two small bubbles don't bother me as long as they are cosmetic and nothing structural. I have an itch for a newer bigger unit, but not the money or the wife's support. And I don't see either in my near future. If this is structural and extensive then I have a tough decision to make. Do I put money into fixing it, or put money into a newer one, or just sell like it is and get what I can get. None of these are good scenarios right now. Service guy has it for two weeks, and he can have it for 6 if needed as I know I'm not going to be able to use it before August. I'll worry about it then.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:32 AM   #17

Good news bad news...well ok I reckon. Delamination is stable. I have NO water leaks at the time. Spongy bathroom floor is normal and is the Styrofoam compressing with so so support. Came from factory. His suggestion is not worry about delamination. Its not going to get worse. I'm ok with that. Bad news is entire trailer needs to be recaulked and roof needs to be cleaned and have some kind of rubber coating installed. I already knew this and will be doing it this fall when I'm done for the year. I'll be doing This myself.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:45 AM   #18

And that's why I bought a stick and tin TT this time. Easy to repair.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:39 PM   #19

Glad to hear that it wasn't the SNAFU you feared. And, the work that needs to be done you already knew about and planned to do. Lady luck was on your side for this one.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #20

Is re-caulk preventative or needed? Do you see dry cracked caulk? If so don't wait until fall.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote