Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2016, 02:21 PM   #1

Smile How do you save money while on the road?

Camping season is upon us!

How do you save money while on the road?

I found this post with a ton of tips that were helpful.

https://www.roverpass.com/blog/tips-to-save-money-rving )
jayco&go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayco&go View Post
Camping season is upon us!

How do you save money while on the road?

I found this post with a ton of tips that were helpful.

https://www.roverpass.com/blog/tips-to-save-money-rving )
Good one, thanks!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:03 PM   #3

Seems funny to see a photo of a $200K motor home on a post that has a tip to shop at Goodwill. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just seems to be a strange pairing.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
Site Team

We always seek out Goodwill stores when traveling. You find some buys there from time to time. We use coupons from the campground sometimes and when eating out, we eat lunch and stay in for dinner.

You develop your lifestyle depending on your preferences and where you happen to be.

We cancelled ALL magazine subscriptions.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
Seems funny to see a photo of a $200K motor home on a post that has a tip to shop at Goodwill. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just seems to be a strange pairing.
X2 - I found it hard to take it seriously with that pic at the top!

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:37 PM   #6

1. Try use gas stations offering a discount for "members" such as sheetz (northeast) and flying j / pilot

2. Try not to eat at the fuel fill up stations, but rather eat in the Rv with food bought at grocery store

3. Use rest areas or other free stops instead of short stays at campgrounds.
Bucko06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:45 PM   #7

Biggest money saver for us, eat in the rig instead of eating out. We have a full kitchen and pantry, we utilize it.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:48 PM   #8

If you're paying for electricity anyway at a campground, avoid using the propane supply and instead use electrical appliances (microwave, space heater, crock pot, electric kettle--which we use to heat water for washing dishes so we don't have to use the water heater -- Ninja cooker, etc.).

For four of us, it takes about 3 days to fill the black water tank. If we're staying one or two nights, we skip paying for sewer, which at some campgrounds can save us up to $10.

This issue is somewhat related, but I'll make it a separate post if need be: I've read on this forum about not stocking up on food in the trailer before a trip and instead buying what you need along the way. This is supposed to save on gas by reducing the weight of the trailer. Has anyone experimented with this and, if so, what were the results? I'm thinking that I'd rather buy as much as possible ON SALE beforehand. For example, I know I will want coffee, cereal and bottled tea while on the road. On sale, the cereal's cost drops from $4 to $2 each, while the tea is discounted to $4/5, down from $7. I could save more by making my own tea. Any thoughts?
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:02 AM   #9
Site Team

We take staples with us but seek out local fresh vegetables and meat at Farmers markets and such.

My wife can prepare a good many meals for the 2 of us with a rotisserie chicken that are available most everywhere.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:07 AM   #10

Save Money!!!!!! I have a wife, no such thing.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:20 AM   #11

When I'm on the road, it's usually because I'm on a vacation. Most of my $$ saving happens before I leave. Usually not a bargain shopper at that point. Pretty much at the mercy of the retailer.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:33 AM   #12

As a Full-timer, my two biggest expenses are camping fees and gasoline. I save on gas by booking extended stays at parks, and taking day trips to nearby attractions. ( I get much better m.p.g. when not pulling my trailer.) If I'm staying at a private park, most will have a discounted rate for a week/2 weeks/a month, so that saves money on the campground fees.

I spend my summers in Michigan. There are a ton of State Parks & Recreation Areas that have beautiful campgrounds. They're a lot less expensive than private campgrounds, and typically have larger, more scenic campsites. Camping fees at Michigan State Parks & R.A.'s range from around $20 - $35 per night for electric-only campgrounds. I try to stay at the $20 - $25 parks in a specific area, so I don't spend a lot of gas money zig-zagging around the state.

I served as a Campground Host last year, and will again this year. You get a FREE campsite for a month in exchange for a few hours/week of light work. And at some campgrounds, the host site also has sewer and/or water.

Finally, Michigan State Park campgrounds have an on line reservation service, but there is an $8 reservation fee per campground. That's almost 1/2 a night's stay! So, I typically check the website to make sure they have several sites available for a rig of my size, but I don't make reservations. The exception is over holiday weekends - especially over Independence Day and Labor Day weekends, which typically fill up fast!

Happy Camping!
Old 02-03-2016, 09:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
snip...
Finally, Michigan State Park campgrounds have an on line reservation service, but there is an $8 reservation fee per campground. ...snip
But wait, there's more! Fees that is... from Michigan State Parks - Campground and Recreation Info
"$11 annual fee for MI residents gets them in any campground or recreation area that requires a fee during the year...
$30.50 annual fee for out of state visitors, or they also can pay $8.40 on a daily basis."

We opted out of MI State Parks last year and stayed the week in a private CG for about the same price.

Some states have a similar online reservation fee plus, for out of state residents, a daily fee of about $5, but have no annual pass for out of state.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
When I'm on the road, it's usually because I'm on a vacation. Most of my $$ saving happens before I leave. Usually not a bargain shopper at that point. Pretty much at the mercy of the retailer.
I'm in the same boat. My RV is truly for 'Recreation'. So give me full hookups, run that Girard unlimited hot water heater, and pass the shrimp ring. I work hard all year long to pay the bill for my camper - the act of 'camping' to me is a big spoiled tailgating extravaganza ! Its about being comfortable, having lots of munchies, and enjoying the local restaurants from time to time in the Enterprise rental.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:12 AM   #15

Use gas buddy app for cheapest fuel which is NOT truck stops, eat in most meals, shop swap meets Goodwill for used DVDs & books, buy annual state camping pass, get water & electric sites for stays under 5 days and dump on the way out. Stay in camping club camp grounds with site discount for members, couple days stay pays for the membership fee. I camp about 1/2 time being retired, 6000 mile loop planned for this summer in 2-3 months.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:48 AM   #16

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty cox View Post
save money!!!!!! I have a wife, no such thing.
:😅 lol
Old 02-07-2016, 08:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K. View Post

This issue is somewhat related, but I'll make it a separate post if need be: I've read on this forum about not stocking up on food in the trailer before a trip and instead buying what you need along the way. This is supposed to save on gas by reducing the weight of the trailer. Has anyone experimented with this and, if so, what were the results? I'm thinking that I'd rather buy as much as possible ON SALE beforehand. For example, I know I will want coffee, cereal and bottled tea while on the road. On sale, the cereal's cost drops from $4 to $2 each, while the tea is discounted to $4/5, down from $7. I could save more by making my own tea. Any thoughts?
In my opinion, I wouldn't think it would be worth it. Especially in your case, you may be giving up $15 in food savings to save $5 in fuel (reminds me of a tax advisor that wants me to spend $10,000 in order to pay $3,000 less in tax). Some people have single focus areas like saving on gas, and forget the big picture. I suppose you could only fill your gas tank half way too, to save weight....

Most of us are rolling down the road at between 10,000 to 20,000 lbs. A couple hundred pounds of groceries in the trailer is a drop in the bucket. I think the speed at which you drive makes more of an impact, especially with a fifth wheel, due to the wind resistance. I know my difference in mileage between 55 mph and 65mph is huge.