Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: What method do you use to winterize?
Antifreeze only using water pump 20 46.51%
Blowout system with compressed air only 6 13.95%
Compressed air and antifreeze 14 32.56%
Stay where its warm 2 4.65%
I don`t winterize, will take my chances 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2016, 07:48 PM   #1

How do you winterize? POLL

For those of you who do their own winterizing, I'd like to know what method you use.

Personally, I made an adapter for the city water inlet and use air set at 35 lbs. I finish up by putting a cup of RV antifreeze in the three P traps.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #2

I drain and bypass my hot water heater, blow out the lines but only use 20 - 25 psi, then draw antifreeze into my system via the water pump. There are a few more steps but this is the abridged version...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:17 PM   #3

Head South..
Old 09-23-2016, 08:27 PM   #4

Call the local mobile RV guy. What happens after that is magic....
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:27 PM   #5

First up, we always end our camping season on a site with a sewer and we make sure we get the black and gray tanks nice and clean. We then close the dump valves but leave the tanks empty. This is the only time we do NOT add water to the black after dumping.

We take all of the clothes and food out. The only things left in the camper are plates, utensils and assorted kitchenware. Then in the storage compartments we still keep the distribution bars, lights, signs and other decorating stuff.

Once that's done we clean and dust everything. Windows, screens, counter tops, sinks, fridges, toilet, sink and more. We even steam clean our carpets.

Next up is the water. We open the relief valve on the water heater and pull the drain plug. We open up the drains on the fresh water tanks. We then open up the low point drains on the water system and then open up the hot and cold lines on every single faucet and showerhead.

Next we bypass our water heater by turning the appropriate knobs and close all the faucets and make sure the low point drains are closed. We then have a fitting to connect our air compressor to the city water connection outside the camper and set the compressor to 20psi. Now I'll go inside and put a solo cup under a faucet and slowly open the cold line as the compressor pushes the water out. Once the faucet starts spewing air I close it and open the hot and collect the water. I do this for each faucet and showerhead. I also cycle through all the settings on the showerhead and I also do it to the tub filler. I catch all the water in solo cups and toss it outside so that I don't have water going down the drain.

Next up is the RV antifreeze. We usually use 3 gallons. Make sure that your water pump is set to suck fluid in through the hose and not through the freshwater tank. Hopefully you have this type of system. Then insert the water pump hose into antifreeze and turn on the water pump. The water pump will begin sucking in antifreeze and filling the lines until the lines are full. In our case, it takes roughly 1/2 - 3/4 of a gallon until it stops. Then I go to each faucet and open the cold line until I see pink coming out. Then I close it and do the same to hot. Make sure you do every line. Again, I cycle through all the settings on the showerhead and use the tub filler too. Don't forget the toilet. We usually keep the handle down for a few seconds to get more antifreeze in the black. Once we get off the toilet pedal we'll pour anther cup or two directly into the bowl so it builds up. The next step is one a lot of people forget. We now go outside and do the hot/cold lines in the outdoor shower until we see pink. Only open either the hot or cold line at once so you know that the line is full. That's impossible to know if you open both lines at the same time. Whatever antifreeze we have left we'll pour down the shower and sinks so that each p trap should be full of antifreeze.

We then fill some solo cups or old socks up with moth balls and put them in various cabinets and places around the camper. We'll put a dog flea collar on the gas lines behind the exterior panels on the fridge and water heater. We then use duct tape to cover the vents holes on the water heater and fridge exterior panels.

Some people just use air. Some people just use antifreeze. We like to use both so that you know that there is little to no water left in your lines. :-)

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:25 PM   #6

I'm too lazy to drag out the air compressor. If you let the water pump run for a while before putting the hose into the pink juice it will build up enough air to push most of the water out of the lines. Running antifreeze through it will take care of the rest.

Don't buy the cheap alcohol based antifreeze; it will dry out your blade valves and gaskets. I use Prestone--it's about $5 per gallon at Wallymart.

Don't forget the shower hose/head. Like I did once.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
Don't buy the cheap alcohol based antifreeze; it will dry out your blade valves and gaskets. I use Prestone--it's about $5 per gallon,
Wow, I didn't realize that there is different types of RV/boat antifreeze. Did a search on it and found that, like you said, the cheap stuff contains alcohol and can cause seal and other problems. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-23-2016, 10:25 PM   #8

I don't winterize. Like GRUMPY said, we head south
Old 09-24-2016, 06:56 AM   #9

Actually I park mine under a palm tree... but sometimes to get there I have to blow out the system..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:23 AM   #10

What's Winterizing?
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:52 AM   #11

Trial and error at first then I wrote a note for myself. Lost the note.

Wrote another 3 notes and put them throughout the TT.

Usually find one when I need it.

Then proceed.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote