Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2016, 05:49 PM   #1
KFM

Smile How Easy Is It to Get a Campsite W/O Reservation?

We are new to rving with just ordering a Jayco Jay Flight 27BHS and were interested in hearing what the experiences are in getting a campsite without a reservations. Thanks!
KFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. That would depend greatly on WHERE and WHEN you want to go.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:55 PM   #3

With us we like to see the site in person if possible and for the one we like during the summer at the lake it is roughly 180 days out to get that site on weekends
Old 07-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #4

It depends if it is a holiday weekend if it is just "camp in the driveway" you won't get a site. And time of year make a difference. We go during the week and camp in the state parks here in Ga. most of the time we don't have to worry they aren't too crowded during the week. and on weekends if by chance there are openings, you won't be able to pick a site. you will get what's left. But with that said we always try to make reservations.. Some campgrounds keep a site or two open for "drop ins". Hope this helps
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFM View Post
We are new to rving with just ordering a Jayco Jay Flight 27BHS and were interested in hearing what the experiences are in getting a campsite without a reservations. Thanks!
In MI at the state campgrounds that would be impossible. You have to book online or by phone through their reservation system.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:37 PM   #6

I always used to go camping without reservations, and it always went something like this:

Shade? If you're lucky.
Power? Ha, fat chance.
Power and water? You're kidding, right?
Beachfront? Okay, you're in Overflow 'C', about half a mile from the beach.

I learned my lesson a long time ago.

Now, with our schedules, we make our plans in the spring, where and when we're going, so when the reservation system starts up, we have everything planned out. It costs a little more, but we're pretty much guaranteed to get the weekends we want in the sites we want. Especially on long weekends, the campgrounds are packed; we go for walks and we can count on one hand how many vacant sites are left. We don't think we'd be able to do the spontaneous thing anymore.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:00 PM   #7

If your flexible you will find a space. It won't be ideal but it's still camping.

One night stays are easy. Weekends are difficult. Location makes a difference. Hookups make a difference. Weather can make a difference.

I don't really enjoy state parks anymore many have been defunded and are in poor condition with more and more loops closed. now wee tend to stay in more improved private campgrounds with level sites, swimming pools and more of a resort type . Not camping by mosts standards.... but it gets us out of the house and it's what we enjoy.. I tend to not have problem getting a space except on the major holidays and then we usually have reservations.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:53 PM   #8

We just got back from a Non - RV vacation to Ocean City Md. While there I went exploring some of the RV Parks as we were looking to camp there next year.

After speaking to one of the park managers, she stated that the 2017 season was almost completely booked already. So as others have said, it depends on where, when and what type of site you are looking for.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:41 PM   #9

Like in realestate, its location location, location but in Camping you also need to consider season. Found out last winter that Texas State Parks are booked on weekends pretty much 52 weeks out of 52 weeks. Not the case where I used to live in Indiana when CGs emptied out after the Fall push. Here in Ky a lot of the parks close their CGs at the end of October. Being retired you have a lot more flexibility and can show up on Monday after the weekend crowd has pulled out but during the prime Spring, Summer, and Fall seasons you'd better have a reservation.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:47 PM   #10

In your planning if you see a location that has a CG that would fit for you...book it.

That takes carry of any worry.

Safe travels when you get going.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:30 PM   #11

Welcome aboard and congrats,
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:02 AM   #12

I just went through that...I'm horrible at planning ahead and ended up researching 1/2 dozen places until I found one and that was for mid-week!

You'll end up @ a larger place due to all the good ones being taken.

When calling I like to be infront of the computer and look at google earth and discuss spots with the person on the phone. I have to remember to ask about wifi and cell service due to my job although it would be nice to go off the grid at some point!

Enjoy!
Old 07-26-2016, 06:25 AM   #13

Reservations...

If you are traveling to Yellowstone, make your campsite reservations now for your trip in 2023...
Old 07-26-2016, 06:56 AM   #14
Site Team

If you are thinking about Florida Keys state parks between November through April, the odds of getting a site without a reservation, is close to 0% success. The sites are of various sizes and if you reserve a site that is smaller than the recommended RV size (because you could not find the correct size for your RV) you will not be able to camp on it.

For camping in the Keys, you have to make your reservations online, 11 months prior to your expected stay. Odds are you still will be saying a few choice words because they are difficult to get even then.

We have best results by looking on line and checking for cancelled reservations. We have been lucky the last few years and have been able to get sites in December and January for 5 days. The problem is they were about 2 weeks before the opening dates.

But then there have been members that lucked out and got their reservations.

And we live in FL.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:25 AM   #15

Popularity, services and price are the big drivers. High popularity and low price means you MUST have reservations. Yellowstone in the summer, at in-park campgrounds (lower price) means reservations are a must. Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone (pretty high priced but high service), and you may find a spot (we did). Oregon coast state parks - nope. Private campgrounds in towns near by (high priced), maybe to yes. Private campgrounds in Wells, Nevada, or in the middle of North Dakota/Nebraska prairies - no problem.
Minnesota State parks - usually no. KOA's or other private campgrounds in the area - again, probably yes.

Or revert back to a tent - there are almost always open tent sites!
Old 07-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #16

If you like state parks check out the ReserveAmerica.com website. They handle a lot of state parks reservations and have some decent information about the various sites and options. You can reserve about 11 months out for most parks.
secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
In MI at the state campgrounds that would be impossible. You have to book online or by phone through their reservation system.
Same here in Indiana....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:10 PM   #18

ENJOY the new 27BHS! We just picked up that same trailer a month ago!!!

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
2016 Jayco Jay Flight Elite 27BHS
Sunflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:50 PM   #19
KFM

Smile Thanks!

Thanks for all of the great replies and valued information and tips. I am find in just a short time how useful the Jayco Owners site is and how nice the folks are.
KFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:00 PM   #20

staying flexible versus being stranded?

Can't find much else on this so I'm going to try and resurrect this thread.

Very much newbie here. We bought a baby camper (jayflight 145RB) and we're ready to go. But my major anxiety is whether I need to schedule the whole trip with reservations or whether we can just head out, be flexible, and always find a spot. In my heart I'd love to just let the trip unfold but I get paranoid that I'll end up in a parking lot somewhere for the night!

For the details, we're heading out of Maine the last week in September for three weeks. We've decided we'd like to see Shenandoah, Great Smokies, Blue Ridge Parkway area, and then head toward the Florida Keys for a little scuba and sight seeing. The anxious side of me says make reservations the whole way and guess how many days I want to spend where. But I also hate the idea of being forced to move on when we really want to stay where we are a little longer. Is this making any sense??

I'd love some help and advice. Can we wing it or do we need to schedule the whole thing? Thanks in advance!
DBSBorg is offline   Reply With Quote