Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2021, 03:13 AM   #1

How far will your new Electric RV go????

This is a paragraph from a news piece I came across!

The Lordstown Motors Electric Van is in development with plans to be unveiled in June and production starting in the second half of 2022. Based on the Endurance platform, the van will utilize hub motors to achieve all-wheel drive and low ground clearance, and have a class-leading range. An initial use case of the van will be as the world’s first production all-electric RV, produced in partnership with Camping World. The van will be priced competitively with comparable internal combustion-based vans.

Let’s hope camping world doesn’t mess this up!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:02 AM   #2

Here come the solar questions!! (hehe)
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB12 View Post
Here come the solar questions!! (hehe)
PaulB12
“Will it charge while you drive”? Lol!
Old 01-29-2021, 10:34 AM   #4

I bet as an extra option they will come with a tow-behind generator.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:27 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
What's next: RV Drone Technology?
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
What's next: RV Drone Technology?
I did see a concept off-road SUV that had a light rack, but instead of fixed lightbulbs it had a bunch of drone lights that took off and lit up the entire area as your driving in the outback! That was pretty cool
Old 01-29-2021, 01:42 PM   #7

So, you will need a car load of batteries stuffed in somewhere. With their added weight, the amount of load you will be able to carry will drop dramatically.

Until a new magical battery technology is invented, I think we are stuck with fossil fuels for large vehicles. Batteries are just fine for small personal vehicles that don't need hauling capability of extremely long range.

Granted things are improving at a feverous pace. I thought I heard something about truckers going to battery. Or maybe that was self-driving vehicles.

My question is how does the electricity get generated to recharge electric vehicles. It doesn't come from thin air. Yes there is solar and wind, etc. but it doesn't have the capacity if we go all in on electric vehicles.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
So, you will need a car load of batteries stuffed in somewhere. With their added weight, the amount of load you will be able to carry will drop dramatically.

Until a new magical battery technology is invented, I think we are stuck with fossil fuels for large vehicles. Batteries are just fine for small personal vehicles that don't need hauling capability of extremely long range.

Granted things are improving at a feverous pace. I thought I heard something about truckers going to battery. Or maybe that was self-driving vehicles.

My question is how does the electricity get generated to recharge electric vehicles. It doesn't come from thin air. Yes there is solar and wind, etc. but it doesn't have the capacity if we go all in on electric vehicles.
I’m guessing this is going to start out in the class B segment. There is some new battery technology, Quantum Scape Corp, Bill gates is involved, it’s promising better capacity of the current lifepo with anode-less solid state lithium, but no word on it being lighter.

Let’s face it, EV’s are going to be the evolution of the fossil fuel combustible engines, weather we like it or not!. 2025 will be the year for EV’s to be everywhere, right now I’d say I see a Tesla maybe 2-3 times a week, (depending on your Geo local you may see more or less). 2025 we will see them every day with more and more brands, and also the charging stations.

I think what will make them really shine is not only when they are an
“every mans” affordable car, but when you can charge in 15 min, Charge from off grid, and a practical regen system to augment charging will also be a big factor.

Until then, I’ll still be driving my mad max machines, searching for that fuel tanker ;-)))
Old 01-29-2021, 02:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Until then, I’ll still be driving my mad max machines, searching for that fuel tanker ;-)))

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:52 AM   #10

Electric RV

We saw a Tesla X pulling a 16 Airstream at our local Tesla charging station parked sideways covering most of the ports. I had checked site about tow capacity and found that range is cut around half, meaning maybe 100 miles before charge needed.
Having used battery power tools in construction I've seen their short comings. As batteries are reused they end to have shorter life until time you need to buy replacements which are not cheap.
Remanufactured batteries not worth buying. They also have far shorter life in below freezing temps which has been a complaint by Tesla owners.
Not sure how far battery improvement will become considering the environmental and now moral issues with mining needed heavy metals.
Plumsun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:08 AM   #11

No electric for me

And all the batteries?! What does it take to manufacture and dispose of old batteries, how much emmisions are made in the process and what do they do with all the old batteries? All just another market to make money and i will never drive an electric vehicle. I will go down in history for my carbon footprint i leave behind camping and off-roading.
Attached Thumbnails
71766270-A997-4909-A743-061EED94BC4A.jpg  
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:08 AM   #12

GM says they will be 100% electric by 2035. Revealed that tidbit last week.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:08 PM   #13

2035 maybe but i will not be here in 2035..
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:22 PM   #14

Electric vehicles are going to be what we all drive day to day at some point.

Will we drive electric motor homes and tow trailers with electric trucks 10 years from now? Maybe. But probably not as soon as the press releases would like you to think. GM saying they will be all electric by 2035 makes for good PR but the proof is in the pudding. Look at all the stuff Tesla has promised. It's all, once again delayed. Vaporware. Until it's for sale to the public, it doesn't exist.

The infrastructure has to be there to support it. And while advances are being made, we're a long way from long distance travel for millions of electric vehicles. Like pumping gas, charging a car's batteries cannot be a proprietary thing.

Less than 6 years ago they opened a Tesla charging station at a newly opened Meijer near where I live. It's a middle income suburb, so we all thought, who can afford a Tesla and why would they charge it here? The first year, I didn't see anyone using it. Then slowly one here, one there. Now there are 1-4 being charged every time I drive by there. I see more and more Chevy Bolts and Nissan Leafs on the roads. So for local travel, I think EV is going to be the way to go.

And just think of all the maintenance EV eliminates. Oil changes, spark plugs, timing chains, etc.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:07 PM   #15

Think about it... The most advanced State in the country does not have enough capacity to generate enough electricity to keep the houses and business running on a day-to-day basis. Calif imports a butt-load of mWh from Utah, Nevada and still does not have enough capacity to meet the everyday demand last year, yet enough to deal with the plant closures on the calendar for this year.

Now California has some lofty goals to become all electric... kinda like they did in the 60's when they promoted "All Electric- Gold Medallion Homes" when the utilities that they created to power these exclusive neighborhoods all went broke when they were suddenly regulated after charging outrageous rates.

Itron and most of the other electric meter manufacturers already support "multi-rate-schedules" so that any utility can charge a higher rate upon a higher rate of demand - so the automotive vehicle chargers will not be charging vehicles at the residential rate. That is also how States will be charging Fuel Taxes... The honeymoon will be over soon.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:13 PM   #16

I owned a 2015 hybrid fusion and I have to be honest was one of the nicest smoothest, quick of the line vehicles I’ve owned. Couldn’t beat the 40mpg it got either. And that was just the hybrid, not full on electric. That said I traded it on an f150 in 2019, long before I decided to buy a camper. Why? Well because it wasn’t a truck, it had its limitations, and the cost of a new hybrid battery was going to cost me $3500.
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:54 PM   #17

So, I'll need 2 silverado 3500 dually connected front to back to tow my 16.5k Northpoint. I'll need a rec doubles license and an oversize load permit due to the length being so long.
I can make one a daily driver but I'll have to call in sick for work when the temps outside get to -25 like it's going to be here in less than a week because they won't move. I'll have to dress up like Randy Parker looking like a tick ready to pop and not be able to put my arms down because of the cold and they don't generate any heat. Then the hub driven motors will crap the farm the first year from the salt lambasted roads in the winter rotting and destroying them. My power and natural gas bills are going to skyrocket because the 3 local coal fired plants here were shut down and imploded and new gas fired ones took their place. Supply and demand. And how is that gonna fix all the global warming when the high lines that supply power to everyone get so hot from the excessive demand you can cook your dinner off them from 100' away.
Great idea.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:33 PM   #18

I’ve just put down a deposit & I’ll take all members for a ride
Attached Thumbnails
DCBCA150-80BE-44CB-B3C4-5602047D9557.jpeg  
Old 02-02-2021, 11:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
My power and natural gas bills are going to skyrocket because the 3 local coal fired plants here were shut down and imploded and new gas fired ones took their place. Supply and demand. And how is that gonna fix all the global warming when the high lines that supply power to everyone get so hot from the excessive demand you can cook your dinner off them from 100' away.
Great idea.
but... but... the gas fired plant is shut down too... No natural gas for generating electricity... Here is the news article:
https://www.berkeleyside.com/2019/07...ome-exceptions
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:57 PM   #20

LOL! I was just going to say the same!
ltnunes is offline   Reply With Quote