Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #1

How full is full? (black tank)

Been parked for 9 days at a CG with no sewer on site. We've been careful to go to the toilets on the CG most if the times except nights and early morning. Of course, the sensor showed 3/4 full after two days so we knew not to trust it too much from there but I think the waste have caught up to the sensor by now.
Question is: once the sensor shows full, how much room is there still? ( kinda like how far can we drive on Empty).
We still have 5 days before going home and would rather not have to go dump until ready to go.
Also, what happens if we keep using when the sensors mark full if we can't see anything in the tank through the toilet hole?
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #2

It all depends on how big your tank is, if you can't see any waste when you look your OK. We have gone 2 weeks already and we only use the camper and it has a 51 gal tank. .
Old 09-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
Site Team

If you see the splash when you flush, it is full!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #4

37 gallons. No splash yet and we see nothing either. We probably will be able to wait until monday to flush then.
Thanks for the help
Old 09-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #5

Once you can see the waste in mine it is FULL and it is pretty nasty. Have to empty right away at that point as the odor is foul. I notice mine will go from zero odor to horrible the moment it is truly full. First time I had that happen I've since made a point not to let it get there ever again if I can help it. Lol 😄
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #6

Our tank is 28 gal and the black tank would probably go for at least 7 days for the two of us and we don't use the campground toilets. Our trips are usually 5 nights and when time to dump I can add at least seven more gallons to completely fill it. Now on the other hand our 30 gal grey tank is full in 2 1/2 days (shower at campground) but we have at blue tote for that which is used once in the middle of our 5 day trip.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #7

Too full!!!!!

Name:  mud.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  10.3 KB
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #8

Just take a flash light and shine it down the hole. You can see how full it is. 37 gallons is a LOT of poo and takes a while to collect.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #9

On the road again...
We made it a full 14 nights on
37 gallons black tank. The sensors still showed 3/4 full and looking in with a flashlight, I could see there was still about 2 inches to the top of the tank. We used the parks toilets during the day but morning/ evenings and nights we used ours. Our trick which is a little gross (but we didn't want to hook up a d dump) was to throw the toilet paper into the trash and only flush when toilet was full and allow only a little fresh water back into the bowl for the seal. (Flush each time for the brown stuff of course).
Dumping this morning was all concentrate!!!
Old 09-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boubou View Post
We made it a full 14 nights on 37 gallons black tank.
:excited:

Quote:
The sensors still showed 3/4 full and looking in with a flashlight, I could see there was still about 2 inches to the top of the tank.
THAT was brave!!!...

Quote:
We used the parks toilets during the day but morning/ evenings and nights we used ours. Our trick which is a little gross (but we didn't want to hook up a d dump) was to throw the toilet paper into the trash and only flush when toilet was full and allow only a little fresh water back into the bowl for the seal. (Flush each time for the brown stuff of course)!
Exactly what we do!!!.... if it's yellow, it's mellow....if it's brown, send it down....[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Welcome to the JOF baggers club! We are making a modified sticker you'll be able to order online....:wink:
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #11

30 Gallons of POOH what kind of animal can do that kind of damage in a week??? I don't think they see that kind of volume at the Zoo's Rhino cage.
rosedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosedan View Post
30 Gallons of POOH what kind of animal can do that kind of damage in a week??? I don't think they see that kind of volume at the Zoo's Rhino cage.
WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE!!!
Old 09-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #13

When you have time, you can do a little experiment to determine what the full light on the sensor actually means. Once you have dumped your black tank, start filling your tank by pouring water down the toilet using a 1 gallon jug. Check how many gallons have gone in when the sensor shows 1/3, 2/3 and 3/3 full. I tried this and have it written down in the rv. I think mine was at 22 gallons when the sensor panel showed full - the tank is 32.5 gallons!
Black tank Quick-e Flush, MaxxAir Vent cover, TV bracket and LCD TV, added Slideout awning, bunk ladder, added socket and reading light to top bunk, added bathroom fan switch near light switch, insulated all externally accessible storage, sealed pass through storage from interior of trailer, LED lights throughout, added LED lights to storage compartments
EnricoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #14

When the black tank is getting too full, it's a good time to go on that diet you know you should be on.
Eat less, poop less...............as the saying (that I just made up) goes.

Gibby3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoG View Post
When you have time, you can do a little experiment to determine what the full light on the sensor actually means. Once you have dumped your black tank, start filling your tank by pouring water down the toilet using a 1 gallon jug. Check how many gallons have gone in when the sensor shows 1/3, 2/3 and 3/3 full. I tried this and have it written down in the rv. I think mine was at 22 gallons when the sensor panel showed full - the tank is 32.5 gallons!
I don't believe it works as you are thinking. The lights indicate each 1/3 of the tank is crossed (on mine it is 1/4s). Thus, that last light
indicates you are STARTING the last 1/3 of the capacity, by definition, because you filled it until you just saw it light up. Thus, 2 3rds of 32.5 is 21.6 gal, which actually makes your gauge surprisingly accurate.
samiam95124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam95124 View Post
I don't believe it works as you are thinking. The lights indicate each 1/3 of the tank is crossed (on mine it is 1/4s). Thus, that last light
indicates you are STARTING the last 1/3 of the capacity, by definition, because you filled it until you just saw it light up. Thus, 2 3rds of 32.5 is 21.6 gal, which actually makes your gauge surprisingly accurate.
Good to know!!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam95124 View Post
I think we're thinking the same thing, which is exactly why I did the measurement. My panel is marked E, 1/3, 2/3, F. After measuring I know that E means I have 0 - 6 gal, 1/3 means I have somewhere between 6 gal and 13 gal, 2/3 means I have between 13 gal and 22 gal. F means I have 22+ gal. The volume delta for each LED is not the same - presumably because the sensors are fitted without taking into account the shape of the tanks.
Black tank Quick-e Flush, MaxxAir Vent cover, TV bracket and LCD TV, added Slideout awning, bunk ladder, added socket and reading light to top bunk, added bathroom fan switch near light switch, insulated all externally accessible storage, sealed pass through storage from interior of trailer, LED lights throughout, added LED lights to storage compartments
Old 09-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #18

Quote:
I think we're thinking the same thing, which is exactly why I did the measurement. My panel is marked E, 1/3, 2/3, F. After measuring I know that E means I have 0 - 6 gal, 1/3 means I have somewhere between 6 gal and 13 gal, 2/3 means I have between 13 gal and 22 gal. F means I have 22+ gal. The volume delta for each LED is not the same - presumably because the sensors are fitted without taking into account the shape of the tanks.
I have actually wondered if these are all capacitive gauges, which most of the new offerings appear to be. This is a method by which a metal disk is placed external to the tank, and it is measuring the capacitience of the water through the wall of the tank. The reason it matters is that the capacitive gauge is going to be calibrated. There is no real exact sensing of the level, it is going to be sensing the level according to when the capacitence of the sensor reaches a set level.

If that is true, it seems possible you might be able to calibrate the thing.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #19

The expensive ones may be, but the cheap sensors on most rigs are just probes that make electrical contact via the "liquid". That is why their readings are not very reliable - if toilet paper or other nasties get stuck on the probes they can indicate a non empty tank even if it is empty. Using a black tank flush helps prevent this to some extent.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #20

Quote:
The expensive ones may be, but the cheap sensors on most rigs are just probes that make electrical contact via the "liquid". That is why their readings are not very reliable - if toilet paper or other nasties get stuck on the probes they can indicate a non empty tank even if it is empty. Using a black tank flush helps prevent this to some extent.
I got my tank flusher to work (quickie flush). It seemed to be flushing an endless amount of crud out. The camper has only been used twice! I think it is pushing a lot of excess silicone sealant and other manufacturing swarf out.