Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2017, 03:44 AM   #1

How heavy should I go?

My current tow vehicle has a 7,700lb towing capacity. I know I shouldn't shop around for a camper that clocks in at 7,699...

In general, how heavy would you go? We're thinking of upgrading to a newer camper. Also, when browsing the Jayco website they list models with the "unloaded" and "gross vehicle" weight. What accounts for the difference? Full tanks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SomersIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:29 AM   #2

Well it's kind of hard to tell but what kind of payload you have for one on your door? I will never go with the unloaded weight because nobody camp unloaded, so you would need to go with the loaded towing capacity.

The tongue weight with that kind of weight is about 10% of that weight, so it's hard before we can tell you without knowing your payload.

Giving on what you have I will leave with about 1,500 lbs before you max.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:29 AM   #3

How heavy should I go?

In addition to what your vehicle can tow, you need to know its payload. Payload is the amount of weight your vehicle can support such as trailer tongue weight, passengers, luggage, groceries, etc.

The unloaded weight on jaycos website doesn't account for options nor full tanks if you plan to travel that way. The delivered weight of the camper will be on a yellow sticker on the camper itself. It will most likely always be heavier than jaycos website.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:31 AM   #4

X2 on payload. Your tow vehicle's PAYLOAD capability is far more important than the theoretical towing capability. That towing number is for general towing, and does not take into account the special nature of travel trailer towing, where 10-15% of the trailer's weight rests on the hitch. That means 10-15% of the trailer's weight is carried by your tow vehicle.

Also, forget about the "dry" weight of the trailer. The important number is the GVWR, its maximum designed weight including cargo. After all, you're going to add LP gas, water, clothes, food & kitchen supplies, chairs, leveling gear, bedding, etc. So you base your calculations on GVWR.

So a 5000 pound GVWR trailer will add as much as 750 pounds to the tow vehicle's load. Total payload includes passengers, cargo, fuel, the hitch/coupler, AND that hitch weight. Your tow vehicle has to carry all of that.

Short answer: The tow vehicle's payload capacity is way more important than its theoretical towing capacity. And the trailer's GVWR is the important number, not the "dry" weight.

One more thing. When you're done, take the whole rig, fully loaded, and get it weighed at a nearby CAT scale; the results will probably surprise you. There are lots of excellent threads on that subject here.

Enjoy camping!!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
X2 on payload. Your tow vehicle's PAYLOAD capability is far more important than the theoretical towing capability. That towing number is for general towing, and does not take into account the special nature of travel trailer towing, where 10-15% of the trailer's weight rests on the hitch. That means 10-15% of the trailer's weight is carried by your tow vehicle.
Roger
How is your F150 handling your trailer? If I pick up a trailer next year and decide not to go Hybrid, your model is close to one of the other one I'm considering (23MBH).

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
How is your F150 handling your trailer? If I pick up a trailer next year and decide not to go Hybrid, your model is close to one of the other one I'm considering (23MBH).
Ha! I wondered if the signature pic would trigger anything on this thread!

It's good. I do have to be careful not to haul too much cargo when I'm towing (trailer's GVWR is 5950, so my hitch weight is almost 900 lb), but we've taken it on 2 trips to Maine from PA, plus a couple of shorter trips, and it's done well. Definitely gotta use my WDH! I get about 10-11 mpg towing, and have found the rig gets much better mileage when I'm not on Interstates. Towing is very stable, but we do notice some "truck suck" on the highway, and it's fun when it's windy - think that would be the case no matter what combo we were running.

Love the trailer, love the truck.

Roger

Old 07-13-2017, 08:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomersIsles View Post
My current tow vehicle has a 7,700lb towing capacity. I know I shouldn't shop around for a camper that clocks in at 7,699...

In general, how heavy would you go? We're thinking of upgrading to a newer camper. Also, when browsing the Jayco website they list models with the "unloaded" and "gross vehicle" weight. What accounts for the difference? Full tanks?

As others mentioned. Ignore the towing capacity. If you are pulling a trailer that heavy you are way over your max tongue weight and cargo capacity.

Do a search for your make and year to see if the manufacturer to see if they have a trailering guide or look in your owners manual for something that states the max hitch weight. It also might be stamped into your hitch. Then look in the driver's door area for a sticker for something stating max cargo capacity. It is normally by the sticker that tells you what air pressure to run. These are the true limits.

When looking at a camper, ignore the empty weights and dry tongue weights you see on the websites. I like using the GVWR of the camper. This is the heaviest it should be. Then factor 13% of that number, add in 80lbs or so for a WD hitch and see if you are still good on those numbers. Odds are you won't run around at the GVWR of the camper but since you don't know how much you will load it out it is a good way to guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
We also looked at the 23MBH and the 25BH. Everyone has different needs so that comes into play. For us the decision came down to a couple factors. While we liked the 2 entry points on the 23MBH to cut down on traffic and dirt in the camper. We opted for the 25BH because of a few reasons. Weight wise the GVWR is pretty close (500lbs difference). It gave use more privacy with a front bedroom. We liked the TV position better, we LOVE the outdoor kitchen. I had read here some complaints about how there isn't much room for storage in the front pass through because the front bed takes up some of that space. The double width bunks are nice for when the kids bring a friend with. We had 5 kids in the camper over memorial day weekend. Then the big shocker was the 23MBH and 25BH were the same price. That last one sealed the deal for us. As far as pulling with a F150, you should be fine with either of them or anything smaller unless you have a heavy topper and a bed full of stuff. All that counts against your cargo capacity as I mentioned to the OP. We pull the 25BH with a Yukon Denali which comes standard with a beefed up air suspension and bigger engine as standard equipment over what a regular Yukon has. I also get that for some people that couple extra feet are more than they want or they have other priorities. The 23MBH is a great camper but the 25BH fit us better.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:45 AM   #8

The delivered weight is guaranteed to be greater than the brochure dry weight.
The brochure weight is totally unloaded and with nothing but the standard equipment. But no one can get a Jayco (and probably any other manufacturers' trailers) with only the "standard" equipment. The Consumer Value Package and in 2017, the Elite Package are "mandatory" options. Technically they are options, but in 2017 you can't buy a Jayco without getting both of those "mandatory" options. In 2016, only the CVP was a mandatory option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post

The delivered weight of the camper will be on a yellow sticker on the camper itself. It will most likely always be heavier than jaycos website.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:36 AM   #9

Thanks for the tips! Off to do more research!

SomersIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:55 AM   #10

Let us know what did you decide.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:20 AM   #11

How heavy should I go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
The delivered weight is guaranteed to be greater than the brochure dry weight.

The brochure weight is totally unloaded and with nothing but the standard equipment. But no one can get a Jayco (and probably any other manufacturers' trailers) with only the "standard" equipment. The Consumer Value Package and in 2017, the Elite Package are "mandatory" options. Technically they are options, but in 2017 you can't buy a Jayco without getting both of those "mandatory" options. In 2016, only the CVP was a mandatory option.

Thanks for confirming my post lol. [emoji1303]
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Ha! I wondered if the signature pic would trigger anything on this thread!

It's good. I do have to be careful not to haul too much cargo when I'm towing (trailer's GVWR is 5950, so my hitch weight is almost 900 lb), but we've taken it on 2 trips to Maine from PA, plus a couple of shorter trips, and it's done well. Definitely gotta use my WDH! I get about 10-11 mpg towing, and have found the rig gets much better mileage when I'm not on Interstates. Towing is very stable, but we do notice some "truck suck" on the highway, and it's fun when it's windy - think that would be the case no matter what combo we were running.

Love the trailer, love the truck.

Roger
Roger, what engine do you have? I'm picking up my '17 RLSW next week and a bit anxious about being under trucked. I have the 5.0, 1919# payload. I talked with my Ford dealer (bought my last 6 vehicles from them) and they think I'm fine. I remain on the fence until I get to see for myself. I'm 7 months in since purchasing this truck and would get killed if I have to upgrade this soon!
Joe A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:28 AM   #13

I should think you'd be fine with that truck. I pulled a Koala 21CS across country in 2014 with a 2005 F150 that had the 5.4L Triton engine. The trailer was 1000# lighter than yours, but I only had 1482# cargo capacity. My combo did very well on that trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe A. View Post
Roger, what engine do you have? I'm picking up my '17 RLSW next week and a bit anxious about being under trucked. I have the 5.0, 1919# payload. I talked with my Ford dealer (bought my last 6 vehicles from them) and they think I'm fine. I remain on the fence until I get to see for myself. I'm 7 months in since purchasing this truck and would get killed if I have to upgrade this soon!

Old 07-15-2017, 06:30 AM   #14

Thanks Erroll, I'm way over thinking this!
Joe A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:22 AM   #15

Of course, you will still have to make sure your numbers work. It's just you having 1900+ pound cargo capacity is more than many, many F150's. My HDPP F150 from 2014 doesn't have a great deal more, 2286#.

And the 5.0L Coyote engine is much better engine than the old 5.4L Triton.

Quote:
Thanks Erroll, I'm way over thinking this!

Old 07-15-2017, 01:50 PM   #16

Quote:
I have the 5.4l V8 with a 3.55 rear end. You have more available payload than I do. Only 1298 here.

Roger