Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #41

Use teamwork while you can

After I have backed in takes 20-30 minutes...max. I have tried to keep it easy. I have a 95 f350 longbed 4dr and a Jayco 19ft... getting into a spot with my truck is what takes longest. I travel alone most trips so it gets interesting at times.
I used to travel with kids and a pop up. Rule was if you want to go you have a job, my youngest had to put out the blocks, older handled the hose and electrical. Inside they also had jobs, they were proud to be active and 'depended on' so we could all have fun. Working as a team made it fun for all of us.

Most important is that you enjoy your time together.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0848.jpg  
sragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:37 PM   #42

With our Motorhome it takes us about 15-20 minutes to set up, doesn't take long too long to push some buttons, DW and work as a team in parking, and setting everything up, we take out 3 or 4 chairs, mat, fire ring, Bikes off the rack, If we are towing it takes an extra 5 minutes to unload the car and disconnect dolly, store on site. When we had a TT for 10 years it use to take us about 40 minutes or so to set up. I also don't sweat it IF the sewer isn't hooked up immediately if we have something planned for that first evening, I hook that up whenever I get around to it. Electric and Water are always hooked up.
Attached Thumbnails
36UN at CS.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #43

Greatest of them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I'm right around 45 minutes from the time I land the trailer on the site to completion of setup. DW takes care of most of the inside stuff and I do the outside. Level, stow hitch / bars, connect utilities, (if available) X Chocks, setup grill, setup Coleman screened in room, setup chairs, unload and stack firewood. Then its first cocktail time. I do find setup relaxing...
I love this. Very well said, don't rush take your time you are on vacation. I will try to remember this the next time I am rushing to set up.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:12 PM   #44
Jim

It is almost always just the wife and I (we are empty nesters). If we don't have to mess with leveling too much it takes us around 20-30 minutes tops. I don't rush it. My wife and I are minimalists so the most that goes outside are our patio carpet and two chairs.. that's it. Park the TT (level), crank down support jacks, extend the slide and if not too windy extend the awning, plug in power and water (we rarely camp where there is sewer), .. eat dinner.
Equalizer 4 10K Hitch System
P2 Brake Controller
Full Timer Wanna-be's
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:21 PM   #45

DW & I pack & prepare TT on the day before we leave for CG. Once we arrive at CG, we fire up the walkie-talkies and DW spots for me to back into site. I do all the heavy labor with set-up, plus the electrical, water and sewer. Normally it takes about 1/2hour to get into the TT before I have a chance to start relaxing. Normally it is so hot & humid here in SE Louisiana, as soon as the A/C is running, I consider the TT set-up so I can suck up some cool air. ............ Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 Jay Raven; Predator 3500i - We call Home Pearl River, Louisiana - edge of the Honey Island Swamp
IMG]https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/customavatars/avatar39547_3.gif[/IMG]
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:01 PM   #46

Haven't read all the responses, but we're right at 30 minutes most days.

One place we save time is in the "other" stuff. I won't set up my grill or stove or camp chairs until it's time to actually use them. Once we're done using them, I usually stow them again. Sometimes our chairs come out right at the beginning, but usually not until later in the evening. I'll also do several other little "setup" items at my leisure throughout the evening of arrival. We'll be sitting around yapping or watching the kid play with his truck and I'll say "I'm going to set up the lights (or whatever) now", and I'll do it. Usually with drink in hand! LOL!

We tend to concentrate on the "must haves" upon arrival, and we both use the 2YO to "help" us so he stays engaged. This includes leveling and disconnecting the trailer from the truck, installing/lowering all stabilizers, and connecting to "services" such as power, water and sewer. DW gets the AC going, sets up our water station inside along with fixing a snack for the young'un, filling the dog's water bowl, deploying the awning and other inside general setup. Most of the other stuff happens as we need it to throughout our trip at a much more leisurely pace. You won't see us buzzing around like bees right when we get there. More commonly, we get parked, get hooked up and hang out inside to cool off for a bit before you'll even see us outside. And I would certainly not describe our pace on initial setup as "hurried". We take our time and make sure it's done right.

We're on vacation, there's no sense in hurrying anywhere!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:48 PM   #47

Seriously? I mean seriously? That sounded like us with the pop up camper we just sold for the travel trailer. OK now seriously once we boxed all the stuff up from the pop up and then moved into the new travel trailer yeah that took time because I wanted it done right. The pantry? I have really nice wicker baskets from Wal Mart. On line and wow. Everything has a place unlike a pop up. Once we are pulled in? Less then half an hour if that. I just have to remember how to do the awning and undo the hitches. Otherwise? Once I get started on dinner? I am ready to go. Heading to Cleveland Wednesday nite for 3 nites. Love my hotel on wheels.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:51 PM   #48

Depends on if the "sun is over the yard(arm)" or not! If it isn't yet time to "splice the mainbrace", then about 1/2 hour; HOWEVER, if Happy Hour looms - 8 - 10 hours. Sorry, you know how retired sailors are.
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:31 PM   #49

We're always packed and ready with most everything in the TT before leaving. I start the fridge and do a complete road-readiness inspection the evening before. The next morning, we put our refrigerated stuff in, hook up, and go. When we get there, I back in or pull through and do the leveling and all the outside stuff, after starting the AC or heater for her. The OP does a lot of stuff we don't do unless otherwise needed. Our average set-up time is about 20 minutes... and the electric tongue jack and stabilizers help immensely... I'm OLD...
Old 09-19-2016, 07:55 PM   #50

I have never worried about set up time. I get the basics done and then just take my time doing the rest. I actually enjoy that part of camping. And, I NEVER rush breaking camp. Too many little tings that can get over looked.
RobEstoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:21 PM   #51

Whew. Your list wore me out just reading it. We're in a Pop-Up and, like others have said, I don't sweat set-up. Camping on the weekend is my mental health therapy. I'm not about to stress over 30-45 minutes to set up camp.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:48 PM   #52

10 minutes for us usually. It's like watching a Nascar pit crew. Everybody has their job. Pretty much from the time it's in place to awning out, chairs set up, grill, stove and anything else, 10 minutes. Kids have grown up with it from birth until now, so they know everything there is to know about RV's and setting up, at least the older 2. Don't really have to tell anybody to do anything, they just do it.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:37 PM   #53

SET UP TIME FOR RV.
Usually 15 minutes - back in by the sewer and power. 3-5 minutes.
Set the levers to auto. 3 minutes
Plug in the 50 amp power. 3 minutes
Tie into the water supply. filter and water hose/ 5 - 8 minutes.
tie in the sewer hose. 3- 5 min.
Get back in the rig('14 Precept) crank out the 3 slides. 3- 5 minutes.
Call it good and crack a Coors Lite. 1st on 3 minutes second ....
so in total approx. -25- 30 minutes (as a function of thirst)
chuck0799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:02 AM   #54

I've never really timed it, but I know I don't spend any time with hook ups or tuning in TV channels. There aren't any, and no cell phone service either. Truly relaxing, so no since getting worked up over setting up. Certain areas take a little more time to get leveled up than others, but it's all part of it.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:37 PM   #55

Less than a half hour. Once it leaves the house until it's back in the spot we keep it in it's all time well spent anyway. Beats a hotel ANY time folks! We love our home away from home.
Blkrvrbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:34 PM   #56

Between 5 and 20 minutes.

When we take the trailer out we take long trips rather than short weekend ones, so most nights we stay for just a few hours in a nice pull through spot at a campground close to the highway and get on the move early the next morning to reach our destination. Those days I don't disconnect from my truck and sometimes won't even lower stabilizer jacks depending on how early we're leaving and how quiet I want to be... one day on our 4500 mile round trip we pulled into the campground at 6pm and left at 3am... I didn't do a darn thing other than hook up my water hose and dump the tanks and then had everything packed up by bed time.

If we're staying awhile, my wife helps me back in and/or pull up onto level blocks. She then takes the dogs and cooler in from the truck (we tow with fridge/propane off) and gets our dinner going.

First thing I do is plug in, she cranks the air conditioning and gets the fridge turned on. I get the table set up (I have to lift the table while she puts the legs in.) I open the propane tanks, unhitch from the truck, level front to back, use my drill gun to lower the stabilizer jacks, hook up the water hose, sewer hose, and lastly the cable if available.

If it's not too buggy or humid and we plan to sit outside I'll drag out the chairs, folding table, and mat.

That's about it.
JLSheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:07 PM   #57

I am usually fully set up within 15 minutes including levelling.😄
BCx213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:13 PM   #58

This is our first travel trailer, two pop ups in the beginning after 20 years of tents. Had to go pop up after the last disastrous tent camping we did. Whew. This second time with the new TT we dropped in the dark and set up within 15. But for some reason hitching up? It seems the hitch gives us the darndest time. Need to talk to someone about this. Sigh. Otherwise, easy to say love being able to drop and relax. Especially in the dark.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_26 View Post
One of the very many reasons we upgraded to a travel trailer this year from the pop up that we had for the last 11 years (tenting prior to that) was to reduce the set-up time once we arrived at the campsite.

Most of our camping trips are the typical "arrive Friday, leave Sunday".

With the pop-up it was consistently around two and a half hours to completely set up. Although we have collected many camping items over the years, we decided to have everything dedicated in the travel trailer, even clothes and bedding. We are a family of 4 and do not have any pets that we bring. Kids are younger, so they want to go..go..go.. as soon as we pull in to the site.

Our goal was to have set up time down to about a 1/2 hour with the new travel trailer to maximize our "leisure/family time". Both DW and I have specific tasks that we do once we arrive at the site to tag team the set up process.

We take our time throughout the week and putter around getting the camper ready to go, clean the laundry, make beds, re-stock and then on Thursday night we will load up the fresh food so we can head out Friday after work.

I have things strategically placed in the pass through and storage compartments for quick access during set up. A few key items are stowed in the back of the truck bed by the tailgate for leveling, chalking, etc. We use the Anderson levelers which take no time at all to level the unit. We also have electric stabilizers, power tongue jack and power awning. The stabilizer jacks, awning and outside light are also controlled by a wireless touchscreen remote that comes with the elite package.

With all the time saving provisions and prep work we do, it still seems to take about an hour for us to completely set up camp, which is twice where we want to be...(maybe this goal is not practical??) When I say "completely", I am referring to the time it takes to level the TT to the time everything we use for camp is in place (inside and outside) and is time to start "leisure time" not leaving anything to do later.

Here is a pretty typical set up for us at a full hook up site, keeping in mind once unhooked most of these things are being completed simultaneously by DW and myself.
1) Decide landing location once at site (DW & I)
2) Unlock main door and storage compartment doors (Me)
3) Move TT into position (DW & I)
4) Level side to side (DW & I)
5) Chalk tires (DW & I)
6) Hook up power (Me)
7) Set out wood pads for stabilizer & tongue jacks (Me)
8) Unhitch TT (DW & I)
9) Move truck out of the way (Me)
10) Level front to back (DW & I)
11) Install x-chocks (Me)
12) Lower electric stabilizer jacks (DW)
13) Hook up water with inline filter (Me)
14) Hook up sewer hose (Me)
15) Open windows or turn on AC (DW)
16) Put awning out (DW)
17) Place patio mat under awning (DW)
18) Move picnic table next to TT under awning (DW & I)
19) Set up outdoor grill (Me)
20) Set up Coleman stove & table (Me)
21) Hook up 20lb propane tank to grill and stove (Me)
22) Put things in place inside TT that aren't stationary (DW)
23) Turn on hot water heater (DW)
24) Raise antenna (DW) or hook up cable (Me)
25) Program television channels, it only gets used at night to settle kids or during bad weather (DW)
26) Remove refrigerator bars (DW)
27) Install awning tie downs (Me)
28) Put table cloth on picnic table (Me)
29) Place 3-4 Tiki torches out and fill cans with fuel (Me)
30) Put out trash can and recycle bin (Me)
31) Set up the Camco bottom step support (Me)
32) Put out and set up camp chairs around fire pit (DW & I)
33) Set up collapsible drying rack outside for wet towels / clothes (DW or Me)
34) Get firewood, and fire starters and poker out by the fire pit (Me)
35) Put hitch and WD bars / chains in pass though storage (Me)
36) Take (4) bikes out of back of truck (DW & I)
37) Hang our "name and from" sign (Me)
38) Tune in a clear radio station on the TT radio and turn on outdoor speakers, not too loud of course (DW or Me)

DONE! Phewww..... Time to get on with camping

OK, so how long does it take for you to set up camp??

Sounds like "hours" to me, especially if its raining out. I usually have "basic" set up (# 1-15) done in about 45 minutes, but that is a fraction of what you do.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:55 PM   #60

Between 14 & 15 I put out the slides.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
set up, set-up, setting up, setup, time