Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2018, 08:01 PM   #21

Yeah, 8 years is the norm because that's how Americans are - we tire of things easily.

We bought our first trailer when it was 24 years old. We used it for another 26 years. On her 50th birthday we bought a new Jayco.

We own our own campsite, so we are not usual RVers. Our old camper was merely moved up the hill a little bit and she's now our guest house.

I'm sure they aren't built as good today as they used to be, but no reason they can't last a real long time with proper maintenance.

The only reason we upgraded was because we retired, spend more time camping now, and just thought we deserved to have air conditioning, a shower and all the other modern amenities.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:01 PM   #22

1) Until it no longer meets your needs. 2) Until it wears out. 3) Until you tire of RVing.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:14 PM   #23

Me personally. I hold on to things until they cost too much to maintain or it no longer fits my needs. Cars, trucks, quads, motorcycles etc. I do all my own work. We only upgraded from the pop up to the hybrid because my wife wanted a bathroom. And really our needs changed also. For what we use the camper for we really needed something else. I don’t get the trading in every x years etc. to each their own. It’s just not for me. If I bought a new one I’d likely have it 20 years.
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #24

We had our first motorhome, a Jayco Melbourne for 9 years before trading it in on a 2017 Precept 31UL. Nothing wrong with the Melbourne; we simply outgrew it. One thing to consider if you are planning on trading in your old motorhome. We had heard and our dealer verified it that many/most dealers won’t take a motorhome older than 10 years old as a trade-in. He said it’s because they have a hard time reselling them because banks normally won’t finance ones older than 10 years. I don’t know how widespread that is, but something to consider if you are looking to trade in.
2010 Chevy HHR Toad
Jday7757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #25

My last rig was 10 years old. We'll be starting our 3rd season this year with our 2016. I plan on keeping it for 8-10 years.
Being on a seasonal site, the rig only has 700 miles from factory to dealer, then another 130 from dealer to seasonal site. It should see no more miles while I own it.
So without all the twisting and flexing caused by road wear, I expect my current rig to be in good shape in 8-10 years. God willing!
Old 02-13-2018, 08:31 AM   #26
Site Team

Until it is worn out or no longer meets your needs.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:13 PM   #27

If the RV industry had quality control more akin to the automotive world, a decision to purchase a new unit based on just depreciation, wear and tear, or simple want of change, would be a more matter-of-fact, black & white process.

Although we've been relatively lucky, I've witnessed acquaintances and friends (some who have RV'd for decades) suffer through significant stress because of high-problem RV units.

Sometimes it's easy to be lulled into a false sense of security when you're current RV has served you well.

My two cents . . .
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:17 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Until it is worn out or no longer meets your needs.
This is good advice when it comes to many things.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #29

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The materialistic way is trade every year and put up with the mfg. defects for warranty.
I'm with Norty1, I keep it as longs as possible, but maintain it well.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
The materialistic way is trade every year and put up with the mfg. defects for warranty.
I'm with Norty1, I keep it as longs as possible, but maintain it well.
As I said above, I think this is the correct approach. However, manufacturers don't necessarily want us to take it. It just took me almost 6 weeks to source a part for my 11 year old truck that is unavailable from the manufacturer and on national back order in the aftermarket. Planned Obsolescence.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
If the RV industry had quality control more akin to the automotive world, a decision to purchase a new unit based on just depreciation, wear and tear, or simple want of change, would be a more matter-of-fact, black & white process.
The auto world was complacent for a time, but then the Oriental World improved and eventually came up with a better (perceived) product, so the Consumer switched. The US AutoMakers $%#@! in their pants and made improvements to try to get their market share back.

The US RV industry is sold out and the foolish Consumer still buys their crap. So, why should they change? When they loose enough business they will get better.

The only solution is for us to fix the old campers and be satisfied with what we have.

Of course it may just take care of itself. The Millennials don't like motorcycles and are killing Harley-Davidson. I don't think they are big on camping so maybe it will go that route too.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:58 PM   #32

Ours owes us nothing. 43000 miles and 200 nights camping. Soon to be 240 nights
We paid 14 grand. We think we got our money worth
It’s four days out of warranty
Sure it’s an ultra lite built with the strength of paper but it’s served us well
If we got five grand all would be wonderful. If we got zero fine
Everything works well

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:50 PM   #33

If we sold our bungalow before the travel trailer we would have kept the travel trailer for a long long time. We both liked it and it served us well. But we were not going to keep the bungalow, travel trailer and the house. The bungalow is going to Pinetop Az in about 6 weeks to be our summer home. . So we got the best of all worlds for us anyways.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:28 AM   #34

Everything will start to go after 6 years. Roof will dry rot, tires dry rot, air conditioner will need recharge. Everything is outdated. Price of the unit drops under 60% of new at age 7. If you took out a ten year loan and over paid the loan each year your paid off at age 6. The top of the line eagle and above are like staying in a 4 to 5 star hotel. 210 nights over 6 years if we had paid $300 night that would have been $63,000 but we spent $5100 in camping fee's $25,000 less then we paid for the eagle that's less then 1/2 the price but we never even when into the savings on cooking our own food not eating out. Or the priceless beauty we have seen all over the USA.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:01 PM   #35

Smile

IMO: Don't know of anyone that can actually determine "how long to keep an RV or how long they'll last"! There are a lot of older RV's on the road in better shape than some newer ones. It's obvious they are treated with TLC and maintained well. All RVs require a certain amount of TLC and of course preventative maintenance. The more, the better! A well maintained RV will last a very long time and when it's actually paid for, is a lot cheaper to maintain than to have to pay the "mortgage" on a new one. By the way even new ones with a mortgage and warranty need to have TLC. It's up to the owner on how well the RV is maintained and that will determine how long it'll look good and last. Same applies to everything, cars, trucks, boats, houses, etc., etc. Take care of something and it'll last! Just my 2¢
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:29 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG View Post
IMO: Don't know of anyone that can actually determine "how long to keep an RV or how long they'll last"! There are a lot of older RV's on the road in better shape than some newer ones. It's obvious they are treated with TLC and maintained well. All RVs require a certain amount of TLC and of course preventative maintenance. The more, the better! A well maintained RV will last a very long time and when it's actually paid for, is a lot cheaper to maintain than to have to pay the "mortgage" on a new one. By the way even new ones with a mortgage and warranty need to have TLC. It's up to the owner on how well the RV is maintained and that will determine how long it'll look good and last. Same applies to everything, cars, trucks, boats, houses, etc., etc. Take care of something and it'll last! Just my 2¢
Kenny I see your from Canada. The sun is more damaging out west the roof and tires go first. That's why so many resort campgrounds have built garages for RV's. Yearly maintained is very important like calking every year tighten loose bolts and nuts and tighten plumbing but price out roof replacement at 30% of your entire RV. I like not dealing with that stuff so I just buy a new one. Don't forget a lot of campgrounds don't allow RV's over 10 years old to stay at all.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:53 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodro123 View Post
Everything will start to go after 6 years. Roof will dry rot, tires dry rot, air conditioner will need recharge. Everything is outdated.
I thought that current roof membranes were supposed to last 20 years or more if maintained properly. Where do you have to live to make them fail in only 6 years? Our old tincan with a metal roof is still serviceable after 54 years!

Yeah the old girl is outdated. No electrical system and everything runs on propane. All the appliances and lights also still work after 54 years! The only reason we upgraded was because we WANTED a new one and had some extra money. We certainly didn't NEED one.

I have a window mount AC in my house bedroom (just like my Jayco) and its 30+ years old and its never needed service.

Tires are only safe up to 3 years, but that's another story.

Sounds like you are just anxious to buy a new toy.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:52 AM   #38

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Nowadays we oversell the life time of the materials produced........just to make a sale to satisfy the corporate shareholders. Well at least some of the sale goes back to society al is it almost nothing. A "pyramid" is strong when the biggest surface support on the bottom, you turn the pyramid around and it crumbles.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:00 PM   #39

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodro123 View Post
Kenny I see your from Canada. The sun is more damaging out west the roof and tires go first. That's why so many resort campgrounds have built garages for RV's.
Yes I`m from Canada and proud to say that, about an hour from the Can-US border and I see you are from the northern state of Wisconsin. Much of the same weather, Hot Summers and cold winters. RVs here may not get as much sun as southern states; but the snow and ice on a roof can be even more damaging if not dealt with. I have a cover for mine. Not sure what your point was as a comparison. My point was I don`t let things get out of hand. TLC and preventative maintenance are the key and roofs also can be easily maintained. If someone chooses to buy a new RV every 5 or 6 years because they don`t want to take good care of the one they have, that`s their choice. As for campgrounds having a 10 year old policy, any RV that is very well kept and well maintained will not be turned away. As I said in my other post a lot of older RVs on the road look better than some that are only 4 or 5 years old. It`s quite easy to spot an RV that gets TLC and one that doesn`t.
Not trying to get into a pissing match; but IMO I don`t believe there is an actual time limit of any RV that has been well looked after. Some people just prefer to keep buying new. Others choose to take care of their things so they will look good and last a while! Just my 2¢
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #40

How long to keep a Jayco?

That's easy to answer - until you can't resist the itch to buy a new one!
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote