Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2015, 04:21 PM   #1

How much added weight for enclosed underbelly?

Ordered my Jayfeather X254 and wondering how much added weight enclosing the underbelly of a 25' trailer adds.

Also added Upgraded 15 A/C. Does that add weight?

Does 2" suspension add significant weight?

Jayco closed for Good Friday today so can't call them.

Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #2

I can't imagine that the enclosed underbelly adds much weight... its essentially tarp like material.

The 15K AC is likely the same weight... maybe a touch more, nothing major.

Both combined you are talking insignificant weights.

What do you mean by 2" suspension?

spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #3

My enclosed underbelly is plastic corragated like cardboard. Not heavy at all

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:35 PM   #4

Thanks , that's a relief.

spoon059, I am referring to the 2" suspension kit that raises the trailer up a bit so it does not ride so close to the ground. I can't imagine it making a big difference. I was more concerned about the underbelly part.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:23 AM   #5

Country Mouse, I'm looking at the same model. How long is your order expected to take? This is my first camper. They have one on the lot but it doesn't have the enclosed underbelly, lift, or upgraded a/c. How important are those options?
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Country Mouse, I'm looking at the same model. How long is your order expected to take? This is my first camper. They have one on the lot but it doesn't have the enclosed underbelly, lift, or upgraded a/c. How important are those options?
On my purchase order it says by 7/1 but salesman said it will be finished by end of May and they have to leave an extra cushion for delivery. Hoping to actually have it mid-June.

I don't think those items are super important. FYI, this is my first TT too so this is all just going by what I have read. We camp in the desert occasionally and temps can get over 100 degrees so I feel that for $142 extra the upgraded A/C was well worth it.

I have read mixed reviews on enclosing the underbelly. People say it helps with aerodynamics and keeping trailer a bit warmer in really cold weather. I want to keep our options open for camping in the cold so we went for it. Some on this forum have said they prefer not getting that so that they have easy access for repairs. May deter rodents too but if rodents get in harder to get them out.

I felt the suspension kit was important. If you have seen that trailer in person it sits really low to ground. I could see that easily scraping the back going up driveways etc. Will not raise axle, only box off of axle.

Dealer where I am purchasing called me a couple of days after I placed my order. They have one on the lot as well without the above options. Sticker price of $22,995 here in SoCal (higher because of delivery charges then some other parts of country.) They wanted to offer me a deal on the one on the lot. I'm sure they want to get rid of it since model year has come to a close. I could swear he originally said $18,995 then in next sentence he said $19,995. Anyways, if you don't think the options are necessary in your case then you might be able to negotiate a great deal on the one on the lot.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:46 AM   #7

Thanks Country Mouse. I couldn't find one with the enclosed underbelly anywhere around and I too have heard mixed things. I'm coming from tent camping so if the floor's a little cold, I'm sure I will survive. Also we have a 1 year old so we won't be camping in too cold of weather anyway. We're in Massachusetts so I probably won't need the upgraded a/c.

My local dealer had one x254 left and it had the power package and tv which I wanted and I got it for $20,700 with the weight distributing and stabilizer hitch setup, hoses, and propane. One of the online dealers had the same one for $1000 less but it is 300 miles away and didn't include the hitch. I'm very happy with the local dealer so far it will be piece of mind since it's our first camper. Thanks for your insights. Let's keep in touch and swap notes once we get going. I'm picking mine up on May 6th and the ground here is still covered in snow.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #8

Congratulations BigT!

I got mine for $21,300 here on the West Coast with the above options as well as the power package. I did not get t.v as we'll get a bigger one for cheaper on our own. Did not get outside grill either. I did not get the WDH included but think we did really well on price overall. Dealer sells Equalizer hitch for over $800 and I found same one on RV Wholesalers for $450.

Yes, let's keep in touch as we may be the only two on this forum with this model! You'll have yours sooner so it will be nice to have your insight.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Thanks Country Mouse. I couldn't find one with the enclosed underbelly anywhere around and I too have heard mixed things. I'm coming from tent camping so if the floor's a little cold, I'm sure I will survive. Also we have a 1 year old so we won't be camping in too cold of weather anyway. We're in Massachusetts so I probably won't need the upgraded a/c.

My local dealer had one x254 left and it had the power package and tv which I wanted and I got it for $20,700 with the weight distributing and stabilizer hitch setup, hoses, and propane. One of the online dealers had the same one for $1000 less but it is 300 miles away and didn't include the hitch. I'm very happy with the local dealer so far it will be piece of mind since it's our first camper. Thanks for your insights. Let's keep in touch and swap notes once we get going. I'm picking mine up on May 6th and the ground here is still covered in snow.

Just curious, what is your tow vehicle?
Old 04-05-2015, 08:39 PM   #10

I have a Ram 1500. How about you?