Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2015, 03:21 PM   #1

How much added weight for enclosed underbelly?

Ordered my Jayfeather X254 and wondering how much added weight enclosing the underbelly of a 25' trailer adds.

Also added Upgraded 15 A/C. Does that add weight?

Does 2" suspension add significant weight?

Jayco closed for Good Friday today so can't call them.
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:30 PM   #2

I can't imagine that the enclosed underbelly adds much weight... its essentially tarp like material.

The 15K AC is likely the same weight... maybe a touch more, nothing major.

Both combined you are talking insignificant weights.

What do you mean by 2" suspension?
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:04 PM   #3

My enclosed underbelly is plastic corragated like cardboard. Not heavy at all

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:35 PM   #4

Thanks , that's a relief.

spoon059, I am referring to the 2" suspension kit that raises the trailer up a bit so it does not ride so close to the ground. I can't imagine it making a big difference. I was more concerned about the underbelly part.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:23 AM   #5

Country Mouse, I'm looking at the same model. How long is your order expected to take? This is my first camper. They have one on the lot but it doesn't have the enclosed underbelly, lift, or upgraded a/c. How important are those options?
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Country Mouse, I'm looking at the same model. How long is your order expected to take? This is my first camper. They have one on the lot but it doesn't have the enclosed underbelly, lift, or upgraded a/c. How important are those options?
On my purchase order it says by 7/1 but salesman said it will be finished by end of May and they have to leave an extra cushion for delivery. Hoping to actually have it mid-June.

I don't think those items are super important. FYI, this is my first TT too so this is all just going by what I have read. We camp in the desert occasionally and temps can get over 100 degrees so I feel that for $142 extra the upgraded A/C was well worth it.

I have read mixed reviews on enclosing the underbelly. People say it helps with aerodynamics and keeping trailer a bit warmer in really cold weather. I want to keep our options open for camping in the cold so we went for it. Some on this forum have said they prefer not getting that so that they have easy access for repairs. May deter rodents too but if rodents get in harder to get them out.

I felt the suspension kit was important. If you have seen that trailer in person it sits really low to ground. I could see that easily scraping the back going up driveways etc. Will not raise axle, only box off of axle.

Dealer where I am purchasing called me a couple of days after I placed my order. They have one on the lot as well without the above options. Sticker price of $22,995 here in SoCal (higher because of delivery charges then some other parts of country.) They wanted to offer me a deal on the one on the lot. I'm sure they want to get rid of it since model year has come to a close. I could swear he originally said $18,995 then in next sentence he said $19,995. Anyways, if you don't think the options are necessary in your case then you might be able to negotiate a great deal on the one on the lot.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:46 AM   #7

Thanks Country Mouse. I couldn't find one with the enclosed underbelly anywhere around and I too have heard mixed things. I'm coming from tent camping so if the floor's a little cold, I'm sure I will survive. Also we have a 1 year old so we won't be camping in too cold of weather anyway. We're in Massachusetts so I probably won't need the upgraded a/c.

My local dealer had one x254 left and it had the power package and tv which I wanted and I got it for $20,700 with the weight distributing and stabilizer hitch setup, hoses, and propane. One of the online dealers had the same one for $1000 less but it is 300 miles away and didn't include the hitch. I'm very happy with the local dealer so far it will be piece of mind since it's our first camper. Thanks for your insights. Let's keep in touch and swap notes once we get going. I'm picking mine up on May 6th and the ground here is still covered in snow.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:13 AM   #8

Congratulations BigT!

I got mine for $21,300 here on the West Coast with the above options as well as the power package. I did not get t.v as we'll get a bigger one for cheaper on our own. Did not get outside grill either. I did not get the WDH included but think we did really well on price overall. Dealer sells Equalizer hitch for over $800 and I found same one on RV Wholesalers for $450.

Yes, let's keep in touch as we may be the only two on this forum with this model! You'll have yours sooner so it will be nice to have your insight.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks Country Mouse. I couldn't find one with the enclosed underbelly anywhere around and I too have heard mixed things. I'm coming from tent camping so if the floor's a little cold, I'm sure I will survive. Also we have a 1 year old so we won't be camping in too cold of weather anyway. We're in Massachusetts so I probably won't need the upgraded a/c.

My local dealer had one x254 left and it had the power package and tv which I wanted and I got it for $20,700 with the weight distributing and stabilizer hitch setup, hoses, and propane. One of the online dealers had the same one for $1000 less but it is 300 miles away and didn't include the hitch. I'm very happy with the local dealer so far it will be piece of mind since it's our first camper. Thanks for your insights. Let's keep in touch and swap notes once we get going. I'm picking mine up on May 6th and the ground here is still covered in snow.

Just curious, what is your tow vehicle?
Old 04-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #10

I have a Ram 1500. How about you?
Old 04-05-2015, 07:47 PM   #11

Quote:
I have a Ram 1500. How about you?

Ford Expedition. Looks like we are rated to just a few hundred pounds less than your Ram. 8950# vs. 9250#.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:15 PM   #12

Hello! We are also waiting for our x254- we started out wanting the 17z, went up to the 18D, traded our Traverse in for a Suburban, so we have decided on the x254. We have 3 kiddos (dd is 11 and twin boys are 9), so we REALLY like the idea of them each having their own beds.

We are negotiating now bc there are no x254s in our state- they are trying to find one for us (Camping World) that they can trade into their stock. I really want the electric package- did anyone get that or not get that?

They're wanting 23,999.00 for one a state over with everything- covered underbelly, electric, tv, bathtub, not sure about which ac or suspension, but it sounds high compared to what you're talking about... we might have to order one through the dealer, but that will take longer than we're willing to wait.

My husband is a little worried about how long it is since it will limit where we can camp- we have always done state parks, nat'l parks, and once boodocking in Wyoming with the pop-up. Any thoughts on the size being an issue?
Alexanders2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexanders2000 View Post
Hello! We are also waiting for our x254- we started out wanting the 17z, went up to the 18D, traded our Traverse in for a Suburban, so we have decided on the x254. We have 3 kiddos (dd is 11 and twin boys are 9), so we REALLY like the idea of them each having their own beds.

We are negotiating now bc there are no x254s in our state- they are trying to find one for us (Camping World) that they can trade into their stock. I really want the electric package- did anyone get that or not get that?

They're wanting 23,999.00 for one a state over with everything- covered underbelly, electric, tv, bathtub, not sure about which ac or suspension, but it sounds high compared to what you're talking about... we might have to order one through the dealer, but that will take longer than we're willing to wait.

My husband is a little worried about how long it is since it will limit where we can camp- we have always done state parks, nat'l parks, and once boodocking in Wyoming with the pop-up. Any thoughts on the size being an issue?
Hi Alexanders2000!

I just created a group for X254 owners if you want to join. Here is the link: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/gr...ltra+lite.html

As far as the length it is 27' with hitch when not extended. I am thinking 30' is what most spots are rated for. We would probably be over that by a couple of feet when extended however when we pull in to campground I doubt they check that our back extends. I think of it as just another slide so as long as the spot itself has a bit of room behind it (doesn't have to be paved) it will be fine. I'm willing to take chance because with 4 kids this was really a great floorplan and I couldn't find any other like it within it's length class. I ordered the electric package. I knew my husband did not want to mess with the cranking of everything.

For price I figured $1.75/mile for shipping out of Indiana and added that to the base price. Then add in prices for options (right on Jayco's website) then deduct 30% and that is your target price for the 2015. For a 2016 Jayco says to add around 3-4% to MSRP from 2015 prices. For big dealers shipping is actually even less than that in shipping because they buy in bulk.

Here is a link to a post I just did in another thread that shows the changes for the 2016 X254 if you are contemplating ordering.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...tml#post289942

One more thing, Camping World pads their price by $1500 or so because of their Good Sam membership that is included...
Old 04-14-2015, 02:35 PM   #14

Country Mouse,

Thanks so much for all the info!!

I think we've decided to go with the one 1 state over- We won't have to wait, and we just can't pay a penny more (paying cash), not even 3-4%. So, we should get it in a couple of weeks! Can't wait to get on the road!

:-)
Old 04-14-2015, 03:01 PM   #15

Awesome! You'll have yours before me so please share how you like it!!

I would work on getting them down in price. Even with their camping world package deducted it would be at $22,499.

I got a 2016 fully loaded (except t.v) for less in CA which have higher prices than almost anywhere.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:14 PM   #16

Cool

Country Mouse,

I'm intrigued... my salesman claims they don't even have the price list for the 2016. I would rather have all the improvements and get it for less- do you have a copy of the price list you could email me? Who did you buy through? I'd love to give them a call!

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2015, 04:02 PM   #17

Mine didn't have the price list either but just added the 3% I believe. On my P.O. it says that upgraded A/C is $150, Power pckg is $420, Underbelly is $330, mandatory customer value package is $1799. Base price is $24,430 (before options.) I bought through Indiana RV with SoCal pickup. What state are you in?
Old 04-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #18

We are in Colorado- is it IN RV Connection? Will there be extras like the tanks, batteries, set up fees, etc?
Old 04-14-2015, 04:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexanders2000 View Post
We are in Colorado- is it IN RV Connection? Will there be extras like the tanks, batteries, set up fees, etc?
Yes, IN RV Connection. Tanks come filled, starter kit included, I *think* it is standard to only come with one battery. Comes with PDI but not hitch work, that is extra.

Get a quote from RV One Superstores online and use that in your negotiations. Someone else told me about them. Cheapest online quotes. They have a few pickup locations. Make sure you know what model year you are getting quoted for though.

We almost moved to Loveland, Colorado. So pretty there.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #20

Thanks so much for all your information!!!! :-) I feel much more prepared to negotiate! ;-)

Yes, we absolutely love Colorado! We spend all summer in the mountains, and we are so excited to be doing in "luxury" with the x254 this summer!!