Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2020, 12:56 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaan View Post
Allegedly pop ups are safe from bears. I see you didn't want to test that in case you proved it wrong. Smart move...I don't know how they could be any safer than a test especially when ALL YOUR FOOD is inside...behind tent material.
Right?!? It was a good move anyway, we had already been toying with the idea of getting rid of the popup, too much work setup/pack/takedown, go camping, setup/camp/takedown, go home and setup/unpack/takedown.

The bear was just the final straw...

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:43 PM   #22

Our was years ago and also involved a pop-up. We made reservations at a state park about 2 1/2 hours away. Drove there, started the laborious task of cranking up the pop-up and boing . . . the dang cable broke. Packed up and drove home. We did explain what happened at the gate and they refunded our money. Not funny at the time but we do laugh about it now.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
Right?!? It was a good move anyway, we had already been toying with the idea of getting rid of the popup, too much work setup/pack/takedown, go camping, setup/camp/takedown, go home and setup/unpack/takedown.

The bear was just the final straw...
Sorry to worry you, but if a bear wants to get into a hard sided camper, it will.
Levinehikeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:36 PM   #24

Major pet peeve of mine. Long gone are the days to head out for the weekend and pick a likely spot. I loved the idea of being able to reserve a spot on line and being able to choose the exact spot we went to year after year. It never occurred to me to factor in the jerks who would book multiple spots and decide on which one they would go to at the last minute. Yes I worked with such a jerk. I am sure he's not the only one

I'm good with non refundable deposits..
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:42 PM   #25

We were camping at Blanton creek park May14-17 and watched 2 sites go unused for the weekend, the park was completely booked because our son and family tried to book a site and online it was full. I know things happen beyond our control like family sickness or accidents or job requirements, if it ever comes to us not using a booking I plan to call the park and give permission to let someone else book the site. Today there are a lot of people having trouble finding a site here in our area.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levinehikeski View Post
Sorry to worry you, but if a bear wants to get into a hard sided camper, it will.
No, you don’t cause me any worry, Of course they can, but I’ll have an extra couple of minutes to clear my mind from a deep sleep to react.

I choose to camp and recreate in bear country, I appreciate their greatness and I actually enjoy every opportunity I get to see them in the wild, I pack away my food as recommended, I carry bear spray and weapons, I hope to never use either, my current trailer does offer an additional barrier as compared to my previous popup.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaan View Post
Allegedly pop ups are safe from bears. I see you didn't want to test that in case you proved it wrong. Smart move...I don't know how they could be any safer than a test especially when ALL YOUR FOOD is inside...behind tent material.

With most all Arkansas State Parks you will find placards on a post (at the site) for camp sites that are reserved.
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:19 PM   #28

We noticed this too on our trip to Inks Lake State Park. I asked the Staff, and they told me that they are separating campers for social distancing.
Spaceguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:25 PM   #29

I have made several reservations for fewer days than we wanted to stay and then had someone cancel at the last minute so we got another week or so. Only thing is sometimes they make us move to the campsite that just cancelled instead of moving someone who has not arrived yet into it.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:37 PM   #30

We haven't been no-shows with a site. But, with the California State Park reservation system, it was possible (until recently) for "bots" to make reservations (then trying to resell them them) without consequence. Also, with the price point not hurting enough, there are folks who will make several reservations then use the one that they want without canceling. That's called rude .
it would help in our state and national parks if an unoccupied site became open for use if the site is not occupied by a given time - but that would take staff to monitor and a way to notify if there were circumstances that make a late arrival happen (like with a hotel)
ltnunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:23 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltnunes View Post
We haven't been no-shows with a site. But, with the California State Park reservation system, it was possible (until recently) for "bots" to make reservations (then trying to resell them them) without consequence. Also, with the price point not hurting enough, there are folks who will make several reservations then use the one that they want without canceling. That's called rude .
it would help in our state and national parks if an unoccupied site became open for use if the site is not occupied by a given time - but that would take staff to monitor and a way to notify if there were circumstances that make a late arrival happen (like with a hotel)
I would think that if a site is not occupied within 24 hours and the renter has not called the park it should be made available. This could easily be written into the rules.

I have left early on occasion. In New York State parks as soon as you turn in your camping permit on the way out they are free to re-rent it. Seems like a good policy.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:11 PM   #32

Never
bam1429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:21 PM   #33

My mother passed away 13 weeks Tuesday and I am realizing I have to remember that we leave Tuesday for our favorite campsite then. The reason being I have to remember is because I am normally very busy getting ready for a week stay there. This year? I am like no big deal. Just tow and go. Last year we headed to Colorado, Utah and AZ. I wish it was last year again because this year our new normal is no mother this year to camp with. I am on my own. Sad but true. One less family member to camp with. So I am trying not to goof it this year. Happy camping everyone.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:06 PM   #34

3 years ago, we were to start our annual trip from PA to FL. But on day of departure, a northeaster hit.

As I was figuring out the plan throughout the day, we had a site originally booked in NC border... and then I planned to start next day and booked another site in middle of NC to cut drive from 3 to 2 days.

Instead of departing day later, we departed at 5PM and stayed at a RV friendly motel in Fredricksburg. So I had booked and no-showed 2 sites. Then next day, I drove from 15 hours passing both sites to get to disney after midnight.

Main lesson is the winds. I thought 25-30mph winds would be too scary to drive in... but it wasn't bad at all. We could have left at our original time albeit with major traffic issues.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:04 PM   #35

We stayed at Grand Canyon a few years ago. The RV park was fully booked yet I counted over 20 sites that were open both late at night and early in the a.m. I asked the Office Manager and he said, if it is paid, it is booked. 4 of the sites were booked for more than a few days with camper "no show." I believe State/National Campgrounds should have a 48 rule. No show, no refund, reservation cancelled.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:14 PM   #36

We "always" camp at our favorite place...photo.
We are there essentially every weekend. Therefore, we know the folks who run the place really well.

They've commented (complained) about the number of reservation changes and cancellations. The place is usually booked solid, but about 10% of the sites remain empty.

There's nothing like a pandemic to make you change your plans.
Attached Thumbnails
Wellington1.jpg  
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:47 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
I would think that if a site is not occupied within 24 hours and the renter has not called the park it should be made available. This could easily be written into the rules.

I have left early on occasion. In New York State parks as soon as you turn in your camping permit on the way out they are free to re-rent it. Seems like a good policy.
This is exactly how it works in the CA state park system. If you don't show up for your reservation before noon on the second day (reserve Thurs-Sun, arrive before Noon Friday) they will cancel your reservation and rent it to a walk up I don't think it will go back to the available inventory on Reserve California.

There have been many times reserved the day before and after our planned arrival/departure so we can get full days. It might look like a vacant site to others there, but I can assure you in our case it was the only option. If we wanted to arrive early AM and depart late PM it was the only way. Reservations run noon to noon (maybe Noon - 11AM can't be sure any more) so if want to spend all day Friday, Saturday & Sunday we would reserve Thursday - Monday so we could arrive and depart when we wanted on Friday and Sunday.

This may have changed, but the reservation system was based on arrival date and reservation could be made 6 months in advance. So if you wanted July 4th or another busy early in the month date instead of waiting for February to make a July arrival reservation many would book on Jan 1st for a June 30 arrival.

This reservation hassle in CA Campgrounds is the biggest challenge and ultimately drove us away.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:17 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltnunes View Post

In British Columbia they where running into similiar thing. RV rental companies booking sites and tying them eventually to the rental of an RV.
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote