Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2015, 08:43 PM   #11

Deep Creek Lake in Maryland! Deep Creek Lake State Park has electric sites, you just fill up your fresh water tank on the way in and dump at the dump station on the way out. Swallow Falls State Park has full hookups on some sites. Both parks have bath houses in several places so we usually use the bath house facilities unless it is the middle of the night.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:22 PM   #12

This summer we stayed for about 10 days at Chippewa campground in Kankakee River State Park in IL. The sites are electric only but they have a dump station and a place to fill water tanks. There are no showers and there are only out houses rather than toilets with plumbing. Our 25 Z only has 30 gallons of FW and GW with 25 Gallons of BW.

We have a 35 gallon tote tank so our routine was to stop any time we drove out of the park and fill a few jugs with water. We would then pour these in the FW tank when we returned. I emptied the GW and BW tank every other day. I'm sure we could have gone longer, but full tote tanks are harder to move around.

Most of the rigs there were larger so could go longer without dumping tanks. I think that during out stay we were the only campers with a tote tank. I saw quite a few hitch up, move to the dump station and then come back to their site.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #13

Hi That is all I do Is Dry camp, I have two solar panels and a small generator if I need it. I can stay out for two weeks at one time.
Attached Thumbnails
camping 2015 038.jpg  
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #14

We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) in a 26BH and we can probably go 4 days before we have to dump the grey tank where the black will be about 3/4 full at that point.

One thing I have learned about camping with younger kids is they don't seem to catch onto the water conservation attempt well. We make them use hand sanitizer after they go to the bathroom instead of running the sink. My 7 year old son will use 5 gallons of water for the task if he could. In the past, I resorted to showering him when he was 5-6 because he again would just let the water run but he does much better now. My daughter and wife will often shower in the CG's showers if they want to take long showers but know they must take Navy showers in the TT to minimize waste water.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:12 PM   #15
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamFoxy View Post
This summer we stayed for about 10 days at Chippewa campground in Kankakee River State Park in IL. The sites are electric only but they have a dump station and a place to fill water tanks. There are no showers and there are only out houses rather than toilets with plumbing. Our 25 Z only has 30 gallons of FW and GW with 25 Gallons of BW.

We have a 35 gallon tote tank so our routine was to stop any time we drove out of the park and fill a few jugs with water. We would then pour these in the FW tank when we returned. I emptied the GW and BW tank every other day. I'm sure we could have gone longer, but full tote tanks are harder to move around.

Most of the rigs there were larger so could go longer without dumping tanks. I think that during out stay we were the only campers with a tote tank. I saw quite a few hitch up, move to the dump station and then come back to their site.
Similar to this ^

At the PA state parks what we'll do is make sure we get a site reasonably close to the facilities - they may have showers, flush toilets and a sink for washing dishes. We'll use the toilet in the camper sparingly. I do have a tote in case we go more than a couple of days.

We need the 120v for the A/C but fill up water on the way in and dump on the way out. Staying at full hookups for us is a real treat.
BJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:02 PM   #16

We usually try for sites with sewer connections (for DW's sake, I couldn't care less really), but we've been twice without them. The first time was a bit difficult because our son was going through 6 bottles a day, and DW didn't want to use paper plates, so we had a lot of dishes, and DW had never actually used the Navy technique for showering. That time we just did the dishes in a large mixing bowl and put the waste water in the black tank, and we took Navy showers. It worked pretty well, when we left, our gray tank was full, and DW admitted it was okay afterwards.

Last time we were out was the 2nd time with no sewer, and DW was complaining the whole time, she said she "didn't know because I didn't tell her" that there were no sewer connections this time; "how am I going to take a shower?! I need to wash my hair!" I said, "you have 3 choices: 1) take Navy shower 2) use CG facilities 3) shower outside". I knew there were really only 2 options, and she didn't sound too keen on the CG facilities. This was the second night, so we already had one night of Navy showers and some general usage in the gray tank. So I have a garden hose adapter for my tank outlet; I put it on and filled my cat litter bucket (my free utility bucket) 3 times (amounted to about 9 gallons) and dumped it in the black tank before she took her shower the second night (this actually completely emptied the tank, much to my surprise). She took her shower (Navy style and washed her hair), I took my shower, we washed dishes (what few we had) and generally lived out the rest of the trip normally. I was afraid there wasn't going to be enough gray water to get a good rinse on my sewer hose at the dump station!

Bottom line is that with a little creativity and some basic water conservation techniques, you can make it work. We didn't really try all that hard as far as I'm concerned, and I was VERY surprised (and proud) at how efficient we were.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #17

Contrary to what so many seem to believe, it really is okay to not take a shower every day. You are out in the woods camping! It amazes me how much water folks waste by insisting that there is something wrong with a shower every other day when camping. We will go even longer if necessary (gasp), depending on how long we are out for.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
Contrary to what so many seem to believe, it really is okay to not take a shower every day. You are out in the woods camping! It amazes me how much water folks waste by insisting that there is something wrong with a shower every other day when camping. We will go even longer if necessary (gasp), depending on how long we are out for.
I would agree with you, but when you've been out running around all day in 90-100* heat, sweating, getting dirty, etc. you start to develop some pretty nasty stuff pretty quick! Or at least I do! Nope, some kind of cleaning every night is a requirement in our family; if that's a full shower, AWESOME, if it's a Navy shower, great. If it's a trail shower (bandanna bath using 1 cup of water; I used to do it every day backpacking in the mountains) cool. Hell, I'll even warm up one of those personal hygiene wipes like what they use for bed-ridden patients in the hospital in the microwave if I've got power!

Nope, I gotta have some kind of cleaning before I go to bed.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:29 PM   #19

I want to go to Susquehanna State Park next weekend - It is pretty close to you. They have some full hookup sites, but those are always filled far in advance. They have some great looking sites with no hookups... I'm down for it, but trying to convince my other half. We want to go to Gunpowder Falls State Park on the 3rd for Day of the Horse.

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71
Reese Dual Cam HP
Tekonsha P3 controller
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:36 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by certified106 View Post
90% of the campgrounds we frequent are electric only sites and we manage to camp for 10 days without filling our gray water, black water, or draining our fresh water tank (90gallons). We so use the shower house for showers but we all use the bathroom in the camper. We also use paper plates for very little dish cleanup.
This is what we do. If I need more water I have a 5 gallon water jug that I fill and carry to the camper. After 3 days I need to do this twice a day.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote