Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #1

How to run wires for internal-mounted Surge Guard

I have a 2011 Jay-Flight 22FB. The 30A cord enters the side-wall behind the stove/micro. My circuit panel is below the oven with under-sink to the right and furnace to the left.

Can anyone advise how to install an internally mounted 30A Surge Guard? I'm comfortable working with electricity but not sure how to get access to the internal connection end of the power cord? Where is the best place to mount the SG? The closest locations are the bathroom closet, on sidewall under kitchen sink (seems foolish), or side rear storage on same side as power cord.

Perhaps my best is to use an extension cord to run from the shore power to under the TT where I plug into a mobile Surge Guard that I chain or lock to the TT then plug my TT cord into the SG, less likely to be stolen.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
earl9653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #2

Attached is the floorplan.
Attached Thumbnails
22fb.jpg  
Old 02-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #3

On my 2006 jayco 29FBS, the external black power cord did a "transion" to an internal thick orange 110/120V cable. This transision was performed within an electrical round box. For my TT's 30A surge guard install, I simply removed this galvanized electric box, installed a wood mounting plate, then installed the 30A Surge Guard device. Clean and simple. re:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/100_2043.jpg

For your Jayco TT, follow its back external cable and see if it does a transion as well. Hopefully it does. And, you can replace the transiton junction box with your Surge Guard unit as well. Or, pehaps splicing into its existing black cable (inside the TT) might work as well...

Hope this helps.

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #4

Yours is simple. Remove the plywood panel under the sink to expose the black shore power cable. Pull enough slack so that it will reach where ever you are going to install the surge guard. Cut the cable and attach the pedestal end of the cut cable to the input of the Surge Guard. Take the cable that's still attached to the converter and attach the cut end to the SurgeGuard output. You do not have to disconnect anythig from the converter. I did this installing a Progressive Industries EMS, but the process will work easily for the Surge Guard. While I was doing this, I also replaced the disappearing cord setup with a Marinco outlet and detachable power cord. No more trying to push a cold stiff cord back into the trailer.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #5

Can't help you there. I don't know much about that voodoo magic 'lectricity stuff.
rvrev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #6

Taking a different approach to solve this

Think I've decided to run a 30A extension cord from the shore power to a portable Surge Guard that I will master-lock (while parked) to the frame under the TT. Then I'll plug the TT cord into the Surge Guard output.

I think this will work.