Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2017, 03:22 PM   #1

How to sell your RV

Question for anyone who has either done this or has knowledge on the subject. We would like to put our rig up for sale, but still owe on it. We can pay it off now if absolutely necessary, but would prefer to wait until we have a buyer. I don't want to go through a consignment situation such as using a dealer, but would prefer a private sale. Besides the obvious solution of paying it off and getting a clear title, does anyone know of any sort of promissory purchase that could be signed by both parties that states if they purchase, I will provide a clear title within X days, etc... I guess I could find something on legal zoom or something like that, just thought I would reach out and ask the community first.

We are not planning on purchasing a new RV, I think we are going to back away from RV'ing for a while. Twin boys about to hit college we have some other work and hobby things going on that has taken over our ability and desire right now. I'd like to think sometime in the future when we look at retirement we would like to purchase a smaller unit just for the DW and myself... But that is probably about 10 + years down the road.. Thanks

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:29 PM   #2

In the process myself

I am actually in the middle of this right now. Sold our Toy Hauler last week and gave the buyer a Bill of Sale with language stating there was a loan and we'd deliver clear title within 30 days (barring any acts or events outside our direct control). The buyer can use the Bill of Sale to get a 30-day tag issued at the BMV. Same day we sold the Toy Hauler we took the buyers cashiers check to the local branch holding the loan and paid it off. They said they would hold the check for 3-5 business days then it'd take another 3-5 business days to get the title in the mail. That was exactly one week ago.

I should note this is in Ohio... Texas law may differ. Also, the buyer lives in the next town over so he was okay with waiting. Tolerance may differ if the buyer is out of state and/or feels you are not trustworthy I suppose. But for our sale it was a complete non event.

Best of luck with your sale. Best advice I can give based on mine is don't sweat the loan. Wait until you have a serious buyer with some money put down before you do anything.
spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:16 AM   #3

It can be done, just need to explain your situation to the buyer, see if he/they are agreeable. If the lien holder is local, talk to them and see what they are willing to do.

The buyer may need to borrow $$ to purchase your unit, and your bank could accommodate the transaction, or his lender pay off your bank.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:22 AM   #4

Careful... in some states selling without a clear title may be illegal, even with notification to the buyer. You may also scare off potential buyers. I would absolutely not sign any bill of sale or contract on a unit that wasn't free and clear, and without the owner having the title in hand.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:29 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies so far. It is legal in Texas to sell an RV while still under title, but as posted, that can put a lot of people off. Again, if I have to I can pay off the unit first and then put up for sale. We aren't in any hurry right now so I may try first to sell under title first and if I get negative results I'll just pay it off.. The rig is clean, 99% working (for a 2013) model) and will come with probably 2k worth of goodies... Thanks again for the replies.... I think I'll go ahead and post in the For Sale section here first and the RV trader next.. I need to find that plastic vase and plastic flower arraignment that RV dealers love to use on the dining room table...:-)

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:37 AM   #6

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
.. I need to find that plastic vase and plastic flower arraignment that RV dealers love to use on the dining room table...:-)
Funny
My wife liked that plastic vase and arrangement and was upset it was missing during pickup of our unit. She bought one and now it is in the RV
NorthPoint5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:00 AM   #7

Contact your finance company. You're not the first person to do this. They will be able to advise you.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:19 AM   #8

The best sales "gimmick" is to have it spotlessly clean, even the working areas of the fridge and air conditioner, etc. When I sold mine, the buyer hired some mobile repair guys to inspect it. They cited all of the little caulk spots that I had repaired and how clean everything was. They told the buyer they'd rather see one with little repairs than one that hadn't been checked regularly and fixed.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
Contact your finance company. You're not the first person to do this. They will be able to advise you.
This and paying off the loan to get a clear title are the best ones I've seen so far.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:51 PM   #10

Friend just sold his to one of those places that sale strictly used rv's . He got close to blue book & was happy. Your mileage may vary.
I wouldn't buy if no title but I would do transaction at lien holder.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote