Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #1

How to store your trailer between trips

I'm a new trailer owner and recently went on our first camping trip! weather was great and all had a good time. My question is should I drain the water heater after each trip or leave the water in it and should I disconnect battery if I only use ppower? Seems like charging the deep cell all weekend will decrease its life. Anything else to consider other than clean and empty the tanks? Thanks
ksignoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #2

If you are going to use the camper again shortly, within a month or so, I leave the water in it, keep it plugged into shore power, keep the fridge on and ready to go. I will run some water through the lines after a couple weeks of no use to keep it fresh.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #3

The ability to store your trailer at home is a definite plus. I can't, and the rules of the storage facility I use require all RV's stored must have all water and holding tanks empty. I also have to remove the batteries and keep them at home on a trickle charger since I don't have access to 110v power at the storage facility. A real inconvenience and makes preparing for a trip similar to NASA prepping for a rocket launch, but the place is the only dedicated RV storage facility in my area and the security features of the place are excellent.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #4

Ok what about air flow? We usually just keep the roof vent open and everything closed up except fridge. Last summer I left some of the side windows cracked and seems to aid in some minor mold to pop up on the blinds. Most TT I see stored up around here are all closed up. Comments/suggestions on this? I'd drain the HW tank if more than a month between trips too.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #5

I store indoors so my answers may be slightly different. I always drain all the tanks when leaving the cg and make sure to add some water back in the grey tank and treatment and water back into the black tank (keeps the seals from drying out); unless I will be using it within a couple of weeks I drain the hot water tank too. The storage facility requires that the propane and battery(s) are shut off, and I prefer to keep all the windows and vents closed, I haven't ever had any problems with mold or mildew. I just keep the fridge propped open to promote some air circulation since it is usually still somewhat chilled when I put the camper away. Even though rain and snow have never gotten in the facility I still keep the nose slightly raised to keep any water from pooling on the roof. Hope that helps
Old 04-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by exjay1 View Post
Ok what about air flow? We usually just keep the roof vent open and everything closed up except fridge. Last summer I left some of the side windows cracked and seems to aid in some minor mold to pop up on the blinds. Most TT I see stored up around here are all closed up. Comments/suggestions on this? I'd drain the HW tank if more than a month between trips too.
Our trailer is parked under cover in storage ($$$, but better than all day sun exposure). I only keep the bathroom fan vent open (has a MaxxAir cover on it), but no open windows. Even though the trailer is under cover, those summer storms in Florida frequently rain sideways. We have not experienced any mold issues in either our fifth wheel or our WhiteHawk, though the genuine imitation wood grain curled off the trim pieces on the living room slide in our fifth wheel (fixed that with Loctite Power Grab).
Regarding the water heater. I drain ours after every outing, but have discovered on the Atwood model in the trailer, the drain plug is above the bottom of the tank, and according to the water heater's documentation, about a quart of water stays in the tank. Sounds like planned obsolescence or "failure" on Atwood's part............
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #7

Lots of good advice posted above. I keep mine level, plugged in, battery connected. I do drain the H2O heater tank if we are not going to go out for a month (rarely happens thou).

Always keep the frig/freezer propped open when turned off. I also always wipe it down and dry the frig to prevent potential mold.

I keep my bathroom vent cracked open (max air cover), just to help keep the hot summer heat down.

Cover your tires if at all possible. There are fabric tire covers if you wish. Or can cut some plywood and slip under the wheel wells. The sun is very detrimental to the tire life.

ALWAYS chock the tires, I did not once when I was in a hurry one summer day (brought it home from the shop over lunch). When I go home from work that evening the front nose block settled/rolled in the asphalt, causing the TT to move about a foot.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #8

Thanks for the great advice!
ksignoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #9

Yup .. everyone's unique and on the right track, imho.. in the summer ours is parked in the driveway. Fridge is emptied, cleaned and turned off (doors left open). Roof vent and one window slightly cracked for air-flow. Water tanks are always filled to the brim (waiting for the big earthquake they keep predicting out here) and battery is left connected with the trailer plugged in to keep it charged (just in case). Propane tanks turned off but always one tank is full. Covering your tires will certainly extend their life ... but then again from what I understand owners should consider replacing them every 5-7 years anyway (in my case, long before the treads wear out). Good luck!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #10

During camping season I usually drain off my fresh water tank after trips, haven't really worried about the water heater, my fridge is always turned on and often has beer stocked in it, I try to keep the propane tanks full so I am ready to go, the trailer is plugged in and parked in the driveway. I installed a 30amp RV plug on the side of my garage so I can run anything in the trailer any time I choose. I have never covered my tires but I will replace them every 5 years at minimum. Our climate here is pretty dry overall so mold/mildew is never an issue.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #11

Between trips I store in an outside area not at the house with no access to electricity; I always ensure the traliler is a little tounge high (to allow for water to run off the back when it rains), Roof vent is open, fridge open, curtians closed, fresgh water and gray tanks empty, black tank will have about two gallons of liquid and chemical, enough water in the toilet to ensure the valve is covered and doesn't dry out and I pull the battery and hook it up to battery tender on a float charge. I also have "Damp Rid" containers put out. I also do a few other minor things also.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote