Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2016, 10:44 AM   #21

There a few small hills/grade changes, but it's pretty flat like most of the midwest. Nothing to worry about. Just avoid Indy/Carmel around rush hour with the trailer. You have to go by a mall, some shopping centers, office park's, hospital, etc...
Pauls72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:38 PM   #22

Well, looks like Monday will be the best day to arrive.

Will take a "look and see" attitude for the best day to leave.

Also have to take into account if there will be a need to return to the dealer to get anything I find wrong sorted out. I will be staying at least one extra day to shake the new TT down.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
Are there any real elevation changes\differences among these routes? Not too concerned heading up but coming back. Especially if the weather turns nasty again or there is ice.
Northern Indiana is flat as a pancake. On a clear day, you can see from Lafayette to Chicago. Seriously though you will encounter little hills/valleys here and there but nothing like the southern part of the state south of Indy, which is quite hilly. Stay concentrated if inclement weather is encountered and you'll be fine. Good luck.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:30 PM   #24

Looks like Monday will be mostly sunny. I think it will be a perfect day to hit MIddlebury.

May get some snow before I leave though and I will have to keep an eye on the wind.

I leave in the morning (Saturday). Thanks again everyone.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 02-27-2016, 08:23 AM   #25

Good luck, Texas hill country weather has been beautiful. Little windy but highs in upper 60's and sunny. Hope to be here till mid week and then start wandering back towards home with a stop over somewhere between here and NE Texas. Looking for a new park to set up at for a few days and then probably across Louisana and up Natches Trace toward Nashville. Another night or 2 along the trace and home by Sun or Monday.

Good luck with the new rig and hope weather will allow you back on the road. From my experience In is pretty good at getting roads cleared and usually dry 24 hours after a storm. Just watch out for black ice when temp dips to freezing and the road is clear but wet. I'll hold down the fort here in Texas.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:00 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Good luck, Texas hill country weather has been beautiful. Little windy but highs in upper 60's and sunny. Hope to be here till mid week and then start wandering back towards home with a stop over somewhere between here and NE Texas. Looking for a new park to set up at for a few days and then probably across Louisana and up Natches Trace toward Nashville. Another night or 2 along the trace and home by Sun or Monday.

Good luck with the new rig and hope weather will allow you back on the road. From my experience In is pretty good at getting roads cleared and usually dry 24 hours after a storm. Just watch out for black ice when temp dips to freezing and the road is clear but wet. I'll hold down the fort here in Texas.
I have made it home safe. The weather got nasty the night before our PDI and turned to rain and sleet by lunch. It was still in the high 20's when we left but the main roads were in good shape and no ice on the road. The sun had come out and the melting ice was a concern for a green horn to these changing conditions. But, I was assured by the locals that the roads were good and there was no ice. They were right.

It was late in the afternoon when I pulled out from the dealer but made it to near Effingham by dark. No water at the campground but with the temperatures in the teens and snow starting to fall, having electricity and some internet service was a welcome site.

It was about 3 inches deep by morning but the snow had stopped and it was a beautiful site for someone like me who does not get to see snow often.

Once again, I was assured the roads were good and I left at sun up to get out of the bad weather.

The furnace worked great and so did the fireplace and electric space heater I brought along.

The rest of the trip was never threatened by weather and I camped in Elgin, near Austin to visit with a girl friend and I thoroughly enjoyed the TT. Everything worked flawlessly and I was glad the experience had been predetermined.

The folks on this forum told me what to expect and that made it far less stressful and upsetting. Thanks again for everyone's advice and input. It was a great help and truly appreciated.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 03-07-2016, 09:16 AM   #27

Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls72 View Post
I live about an hour west of Middlebury. Tomorrow (Wednesday) we are supposed to have 5-8" of snow. Then on Thursday another inch. Yesterday morning they where predicting we would only get 3-4" and last night on the weather they where saying 10". It really depends on where and how the wind comes off of Lake Michigan as to how much snow we get. 5-8" isn't too big of an issue and will be cleaned up pretty quickly. However on Saturday it supposed to get up to 46° and Sunday 48°.
What type of weather do you experience in late-ish April? We pick up our tt either then or early May.

Thanks in advance
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:42 PM   #29

You won't have to worry about snow, late April is high 60s, early May is high mid 70s
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:03 AM   #30

Picture from our hotel the day of our PDI.

I love to see snow. Us southern folk do not get that privilege very often.
Attached Thumbnails
20160301_171030.jpg  
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 03-09-2016, 08:13 AM   #31

Quote:
Picture from our hotel the day of our PDI.

I love to see snow. Us southern folk do not get that privilege very often.
Some of us were 'privileged' with snow for many decades... and moved south.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #32

Quote:
I have made it home safe. The weather got nasty the night before our PDI and turned to rain and sleet by lunch. It was still in the high 20's when we left but the main roads were in good shape and no ice on the road. The sun had come out and the melting ice was a concern for a green horn to these changing conditions. But, I was assured by the locals that the roads were good and there was no ice. They were right.

It was late in the afternoon when I pulled out from the dealer but made it to near Effingham by dark. No water at the campground but with the temperatures in the teens and snow starting to fall, having electricity and some internet service was a welcome site.

It was about 3 inches deep by morning but the snow had stopped and it was a beautiful site for someone like me who does not get to see snow often.

Once again, I was assured the roads were good and I left at sun up to get out of the bad weather.

The furnace worked great and so did the fireplace and electric space heater I brought along.

The rest of the trip was never threatened by weather and I camped in Elgin, near Austin to visit with a girl friend and I thoroughly enjoyed the TT. Everything worked flawlessly and I was glad the experience had been predetermined.

The folks on this forum told me what to expect and that made it far less stressful and upsetting. Thanks again for everyone's advice and input. It was a great help and truly appreciated.
Happy all worked out for your pickup and trip home. Picked my White Hawk up there a couple years ago but just had to get back to the KY/TN border. Thanks for your advice and help with planning our trip to Texas. We got home on Sat after a call that a friend had died. 85 and failing so not unexpected but very good friends and wanted to get back for the funeral. We loved Texas and will probably head back next January. Our favorite CG was INks Lake SP and had site 92 with water on 2 sides. Stayed for 9 days and visited Fredricksburg and nearby stuff.

Anyone driving N/S from Midwest to New Orleans or Tex, I would recommend the Natchez Trace. Runs from just south of Nashville Tn all the way to Natchez Miss. 50 mph speed limit but virtually no traffic and many pull outs along the way for potty stops and lunch. Several CG's too and the NP CG's are no fee. Nice paved sites with modern bathrooms but no hookups. Found we made about the same mileage for the 2 days on the Trace since the stops are so quick with no need to take an exit and find a place to park. Arrived fresh and rested after a day of pleasant driving thru the country side with ZERO billboards or big trucks.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:02 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Happy all worked out for your pickup and trip home. Picked my White Hawk up there a couple years ago but just had to get back to the KY/TN border. Thanks for your advice and help with planning our trip to Texas. We got home on Sat after a call that a friend had died. 85 and failing so not unexpected but very good friends and wanted to get back for the funeral. We loved Texas and will probably head back next January. Our favorite CG was INks Lake SP and had site 92 with water on 2 sides. Stayed for 9 days and visited Fredricksburg and nearby stuff.

Anyone driving N/S from Midwest to New Orleans or Tex, I would recommend the Natchez Trace. Runs from just south of Nashville Tn all the way to Natchez Miss. 50 mph speed limit but virtually no traffic and many pull outs along the way for potty stops and lunch. Several CG's too and the NP CG's are no fee. Nice paved sites with modern bathrooms but no hookups. Found we made about the same mileage for the 2 days on the Trace since the stops are so quick with no need to take an exit and find a place to park. Arrived fresh and rested after a day of pleasant driving thru the country side with ZERO billboards or big trucks.
Glad you enjoyed your visit to Texas and that you will be coming back. Its a large state so it will take several visits to see it all.

I am glad you liked your camp site. Nice to have a water feature near by. Something about water and a camp fire. Just seem right.

The Naches is a great route if you are heading through that area. I thought about taking it but it was just a little too far out of the way and I did not have as much time on my return as I would have liked.

Rest areas are important and when you are tired, they are a welcome site. Trying to find a truck stop or grocery store with a large parking lot can be tricky and can take some head scratching to get in and out if you do not plan ahead.

Sorry to hear about the death of your close friend. I am sure his family appreciated your presence at the funeral.

Cheers
360 degree Virtual Tour