Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2016, 02:31 PM   #1

Hows the weather in N. Indiana?

Heading up there this weekend to pick up my new TT.

I am hoping for good weather.

Any updates would be appreciated. I will driving up to Middlebury, IN.

King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:29 PM   #2

Supposed to have a good snow storm wed. heard 4-5 inches. But roads should be good by the weekend. Houston? you will be driving about 4 miles from my house. Be careful

chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoore701 View Post
Supposed to have a good snow storm wed. heard 4-5 inches. But roads should be good by the weekend. Houston? you will be driving about 4 miles from my house. Be careful
May be staying at the Elkhart County Fairegrounds for a few days. A couple of the guys have said they would like to visit and check out the new TT.

You are welcome to stop by and thanks for the heads up. I hope it does not get nasty because it is supposed to be in the teens.

Cheers
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 02-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #4

I would but Elkhart is a little ways away, I am in the NW corner of the state, you will be passing by on your way home. Just be careful, long haul
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:14 PM   #5

I just drove my Greyhawk home from N. Indiana yesterday. I was there almost a week. I got collision work done -not my fault, and some warranty work done by Jayco. The weather changed constantly. When we arrived it was cold but clear. For three nights in a row there was a couple of inches of lake effect snow. Then it warmed up to the 60's almost 70. That brought on high speed winds of 55mph+!!! I heard from some RV transporters that I80/90 was partly closed on Friday because some trucks were blown over. We left on Saturday 2/20 and it was gusting up to 35mph. The Greyhawk rode fine if I kept it at no more than 60mph.
My advice-- be prepared for anything weather wise and postpone leaving if the weather is not good for travel. Driving slower helps also!!

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-Camper View Post
I just drove my Greyhawk home from N. Indiana yesterday. I was there almost a week. I got collision work done -not my fault, and some warranty work done by Jayco. The weather changed constantly. When we arrived it was cold but clear. For three nights in a row there was a couple of inches of lake effect snow. Then it warmed up to the 60's almost 70. That brought on high speed winds of 55mph+!!! I heard from some RV transporters that I80/90 was partly closed on Friday because some trucks were blown over. We left on Saturday 2/20 and it was gusting up to 35mph. The Greyhawk rode fine if I kept it at no more than 60mph.
My advice-- be prepared for anything weather wise and postpone leaving if the weather is not good for travel. Driving slower helps also!!
Thanks for the advice. I will be driving pretty slow with such a large TT and I have given myself plenty of time to get back home. I am in no hurry.

Just want to avoid any ice or heavy snow.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 02-22-2016, 07:23 PM   #7

I drive into NE Indiana a handful of times each year, I truly dislike driving on I-80/94 during the winter because of the snow squals and black ice. I balked on driving to Michigan City this winter because I simply could not justify the risks of an accident when the weather was poor. On a positive note, we made the trip to Middlebury last April for the Jayco Plant tour, then to an Amish woodworker to purchase oak cutoffs to be used for firewood. The plant tour was excellent, we saw the Eagle 5th-wheels being produced, Jayco has their production line act down to a science. Anyway, drive safely and maintain your distance behind the vehicle in front of yours.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
Heading up there this weekend to pick up my new TT.

I am hoping for good weather.

Any updates would be appreciated. I will driving up to Middlebury, IN.
Fairenatic,

As other's have mentioned be prepared for changeable conditions. This time of year the weather can change dramatically.

Elkhart County currently has a Winter Storm Watch From 10:00am EST, Wed Feb 24 until 4:00pm EST, Thu Feb 25.
The week-end forecast currently looks ok for you, but that can change between now and this week-end depending if the storm track changes.
Keep monitoring the various weather web sites, such as weather.com

When towing, if you get into some weather, make sure you adjust (lower) your speed to the conditions.

Safe travels and enjoy your new trailer.
Hope everything goes smoothly for you.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:53 PM   #9

I live about an hour west of Middlebury. Tomorrow (Wednesday) we are supposed to have 5-8" of snow. Then on Thursday another inch. Yesterday morning they where predicting we would only get 3-4" and last night on the weather they where saying 10". It really depends on where and how the wind comes off of Lake Michigan as to how much snow we get. 5-8" isn't too big of an issue and will be cleaned up pretty quickly. However on Saturday it supposed to get up to 46 and Sunday 48.
Pauls72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:12 PM   #10

Good luck with your new TT! I will be heading back up to Jayco to pick up my 35UN on 3/24, Having some warranty work done and replacing an accordion door with a sliding door that goes to the bedroom. I am hoping the weather gets a tad bit better, When I dropped her off 2 weeks ago the weather was crazy cold and snowy, We stayed overnight at the Hampton Inn. The folks at Jayco were awesome! Cannot wait to go pick her up! Safe Travels!

nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote