Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2016, 02:31 PM   #1

Hows the weather in N. Indiana?

Heading up there this weekend to pick up my new TT.

I am hoping for good weather.

Any updates would be appreciated. I will driving up to Middlebury, IN.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:29 PM   #2

Supposed to have a good snow storm wed. heard 4-5 inches. But roads should be good by the weekend. Houston? you will be driving about 4 miles from my house. Be careful
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoore701 View Post
Supposed to have a good snow storm wed. heard 4-5 inches. But roads should be good by the weekend. Houston? you will be driving about 4 miles from my house. Be careful
May be staying at the Elkhart County Fairegrounds for a few days. A couple of the guys have said they would like to visit and check out the new TT.

You are welcome to stop by and thanks for the heads up. I hope it does not get nasty because it is supposed to be in the teens.

Cheers
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 02-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #4

I would but Elkhart is a little ways away, I am in the NW corner of the state, you will be passing by on your way home. Just be careful, long haul
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:14 PM   #5

I just drove my Greyhawk home from N. Indiana yesterday. I was there almost a week. I got collision work done -not my fault, and some warranty work done by Jayco. The weather changed constantly. When we arrived it was cold but clear. For three nights in a row there was a couple of inches of lake effect snow. Then it warmed up to the 60's almost 70. That brought on high speed winds of 55mph+!!! I heard from some RV transporters that I80/90 was partly closed on Friday because some trucks were blown over. We left on Saturday 2/20 and it was gusting up to 35mph. The Greyhawk rode fine if I kept it at no more than 60mph.
My advice-- be prepared for anything weather wise and postpone leaving if the weather is not good for travel. Driving slower helps also!!

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-Camper View Post
I just drove my Greyhawk home from N. Indiana yesterday. I was there almost a week. I got collision work done -not my fault, and some warranty work done by Jayco. The weather changed constantly. When we arrived it was cold but clear. For three nights in a row there was a couple of inches of lake effect snow. Then it warmed up to the 60's almost 70. That brought on high speed winds of 55mph+!!! I heard from some RV transporters that I80/90 was partly closed on Friday because some trucks were blown over. We left on Saturday 2/20 and it was gusting up to 35mph. The Greyhawk rode fine if I kept it at no more than 60mph.
My advice-- be prepared for anything weather wise and postpone leaving if the weather is not good for travel. Driving slower helps also!!
Thanks for the advice. I will be driving pretty slow with such a large TT and I have given myself plenty of time to get back home. I am in no hurry.

Just want to avoid any ice or heavy snow.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 02-22-2016, 07:23 PM   #7

I drive into NE Indiana a handful of times each year, I truly dislike driving on I-80/94 during the winter because of the snow squals and black ice. I balked on driving to Michigan City this winter because I simply could not justify the risks of an accident when the weather was poor. On a positive note, we made the trip to Middlebury last April for the Jayco Plant tour, then to an Amish woodworker to purchase oak cutoffs to be used for firewood. The plant tour was excellent, we saw the Eagle 5th-wheels being produced, Jayco has their production line act down to a science. Anyway, drive safely and maintain your distance behind the vehicle in front of yours.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
Heading up there this weekend to pick up my new TT.

I am hoping for good weather.

Any updates would be appreciated. I will driving up to Middlebury, IN.
Fairenatic,

As other's have mentioned be prepared for changeable conditions. This time of year the weather can change dramatically.

Elkhart County currently has a Winter Storm Watch From 10:00am EST, Wed Feb 24 until 4:00pm EST, Thu Feb 25.
The week-end forecast currently looks ok for you, but that can change between now and this week-end depending if the storm track changes.
Keep monitoring the various weather web sites, such as weather.com

When towing, if you get into some weather, make sure you adjust (lower) your speed to the conditions.

Safe travels and enjoy your new trailer.
Hope everything goes smoothly for you.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:53 PM   #9

I live about an hour west of Middlebury. Tomorrow (Wednesday) we are supposed to have 5-8" of snow. Then on Thursday another inch. Yesterday morning they where predicting we would only get 3-4" and last night on the weather they where saying 10". It really depends on where and how the wind comes off of Lake Michigan as to how much snow we get. 5-8" isn't too big of an issue and will be cleaned up pretty quickly. However on Saturday it supposed to get up to 46° and Sunday 48°.
Pauls72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:12 PM   #10

Good luck with your new TT! I will be heading back up to Jayco to pick up my 35UN on 3/24, Having some warranty work done and replacing an accordion door with a sliding door that goes to the bedroom. I am hoping the weather gets a tad bit better, When I dropped her off 2 weeks ago the weather was crazy cold and snowy, We stayed overnight at the Hampton Inn. The folks at Jayco were awesome! Cannot wait to go pick her up! Safe Travels!
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC-REQS View Post
Fairenatic,

Elkhart County currently has a Winter Storm Watch From 10:00am EST, Wed Feb 24 until 4:00pm EST, Thu Feb 25.
The week-end forecast currently looks ok for you, but that can change between now and this week-end depending if the storm track changes.

Safe travels and enjoy your new trailer.
Hope everything goes smoothly for you.
Thanks for the heads up and the kind words. I am going to drive up Sunday and Monday, maybe Saturday too if the weather holds up just to get the proper rest. Driving up does not bother me. Its the drive back in bad weather that I will not be comfortable with. High winds and slick roads do not mix and a 39+ foot TT is just one big wind sail, no matter how big the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls72 View Post
I live about an hour west of Middlebury. Tomorrow (Wednesday) we are supposed to have 5-8" of snow. Then on Thursday another inch. Yesterday morning they where predicting we would only get 3-4" and last night on the weather they where saying 10". It really depends on where and how the wind comes off of Lake Michigan as to how much snow we get. 5-8" isn't too big of an issue and will be cleaned up pretty quickly. However on Saturday it supposed to get up to 46° and Sunday 48°.
I really appreciate a local giving a weather report. I read a bunch on the internet but sometimes it is so general, you might as well just draw straws. I am going to try to sneak in on Monday so hopefully the roads will be cleared and the weather will be more civil for towing a very large TT. I will either take my time going home or get the hell our of Northern Indiana to warmer areas to break in the TT. I am hoping to sort out any problems at Elkhart so I can go back for service. Like you and others have said, the weather will really dictate my strategy so trying to stay flexible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma33 View Post
Good luck with your new TT! I will be heading back up to Jayco to pick up my 35UN on 3/24, Having some warranty work done and replacing an accordion door with a sliding door that goes to the bedroom. I am hoping the weather gets a tad bit better, When I dropped her off 2 weeks ago the weather was crazy cold and snowy, We stayed overnight at the Hampton Inn. The folks at Jayco were awesome! Cannot wait to go pick her up! Safe Travels!
I have been waiting since Jan. 19th for the weather to get better. I really do not want to wait any longer but I will if I really have to. Hope they get your door upgraded in a timely manner and without causing more harm. I always cringe when someone else is working on my stuff. I prefer to do things myself.

Thanks again and please provide updates if things get really nasty Sunday or Monday.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 02-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #12

So far the bulk of the storm is supposed to be wed into thur. I talked with fred in the service dept there today and he said right now they could get 10 to 11 inches but even so I would think it would be fine by sunday. Don't know about the campground though
Old 02-24-2016, 07:58 AM   #13

Well as of 8:00AM this morning we have a Blizzard warning in effect for the South Bend area for today, with a prediction of 8-12 inches of heavy wet snow. Snow is supposed to end Thursday by dinner.
You can look at our weather at any of the local TV stations, as you see they are all different predictions:
http://www.wsbt.com/weather
http://www.fox28.com/weather
http://www.abc57.com/weather
Old 02-24-2016, 01:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Well as of 8:00AM this morning we have a Blizzard warning in effect for the South Bend area for today, with a prediction of 8-12 inches of heavy wet snow. Snow is supposed to end Thursday by dinner.
You can look at our weather at any of the local TV stations, as you see they are all different predictions:
Local Weather for South Bend, Mishawaka, Elkhart, and Benton Harbor | WSBT.com
WEATHER - Fox 28: South Bend, Elkhart IN News, Weather, Sports
http://www.abc57.com/weather
Bookmarked. Thanks everyone.

Just bought new tires, as well.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 02-24-2016, 09:53 PM   #15

Middlebury is just getting a glancing blow this time. We are in the middle of it and it is horrible. In a couple of days, the snow will be gone again, though. Enjoy your time in Indiana.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by redenbacher View Post
Middlebury is just getting a glancing blow this time. We are in the middle of it and it is horrible. In a couple of days, the snow will be gone again, though. Enjoy your time in Indiana.
I can not thank you all enough for the updates. Hope everyone is hunkered down and staying inside.

I will keep my fingers crossed it clears up and it will be safe to travel Monday.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 02-25-2016, 07:41 AM   #17

"Authorities declared a State of Emergency in: Lake, Porter, Jasper and Newton Counties. Officials warn that travel should be restricted to emergency management workers only."

All the snow ended up right on I-65 corridor, they got up to 15 inches. So places like Gary, Chesterton, Porter, Valparaiso, Merriville, Crown Point, Lowell and Hebron is where all the snow is. I would suspect it should be cleaned up by later today or tomorrow morning at the worst. I-80/I-94 is open.

LaPorte and South Bend got maybe 5-6 inches, there is a couple of inches of heavy wet slush on the side roads, the main roads are clear.

Here are the road conditions/closures:
http://pws.trafficwise.org/pws/
Old 02-25-2016, 09:20 AM   #18

Quote:
"Authorities declared a State of Emergency in: Lake, Porter, Jasper and Newton Counties. Officials warn that travel should be restricted to emergency management workers only."

All the snow ended up right on I-65 corridor, they got up to 15 inches. So places like Gary, Chesterton, Porter, Valparaiso, Merriville, Crown Point, Lowell and Hebron is where all the snow is. I would suspect it should be cleaned up by later today or tomorrow morning at the worst. I-80/I-94 is open.

LaPorte and South Bend got maybe 5-6 inches, there is a couple of inches of heavy wet slush on the side roads, the main roads are clear.

Here are the road conditions/closures:
Indiana Real Time Traffic
So, based on your info. and what Mapquest says is the quickest route, any reasons why I should not come up 35 through Plymouth?
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 02-25-2016, 09:33 AM   #19

I would come up US-31 before US-35. Once you get north of Indy, 31 is a 4 lane divided hwy with limited access. They rerouted it around most of the towns so it's like being on the interstate. 35 is 2 lane and goes through a lot of little towns.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:06 AM   #20

Quote:
I would come up US-31 before US-35. Once you get north of Indy, 31 is a 4 lane divided hwy with limited access. They rerouted it around most of the towns so it's like being on the interstate. 35 is 2 lane and goes through a lot of little towns.
Sorry, I meant US 31

MapQuest drew a line right over the 31 numbers and I saw 35 right next to them on the wider view.

Thanks a bunch. Just one last question. Are there any real elevation changes\differences among these routes? Not too concerned heading up but coming back. Especially if the weather turns nasty again or there is ice.
360 degree Virtual Tour