Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2022, 04:33 PM   #1

Hub Temperatures While Traveling

I've seen people refer to taking the temperature of the wheel hub while traveling. A few questions.
1. I would think that you need to measure at the metal cap, not the plastic decoration cap on the hub.
2. What is an acceptable temperature of the hub.
3. Does it make any difference if you have two wheels on each side (I have four wheels on my Whitehawk 23MRB.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
I've seen people refer to taking the temperature of the wheel hub while traveling. A few questions.
1. I would think that you need to measure at the metal cap, not the plastic decoration cap on the hub.
2. What is an acceptable temperature of the hub.
3. Does it make any difference if you have two wheels on each side (I have four wheels on my Whitehawk 23MRB.

1. Best you can around the outer axle end/hub (where the outer bearings are). Same for backside (inner bearings). Its not that technical, if its hot- its hot and you will know it.

2. Hot to touch by hand. Do it a few times on a good set of bearings, you will get to know an OK warm feeling.

3. No difference on number of axles, A hot bearing is a hot bearing needing attention.

I have made it a habit to periodically at stops to wrap both hands around the outer axle end at/near the cap. Then reach around back inside and feel with 1 hand the axle about/around where the axle meets the brake plate.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:03 PM   #3

Temps will vary widely by many factors like weather, ambient temps, sun side vs shade side etc.

What I look for is relatively close temps at each wheel hub. I use an infrared thermometer and take readings from various points at each hub.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:12 PM   #4

I shoot the IR gun right about here — same place on each hub. But I first touch it here. If it’s too hot to hold my fingers on it, there’s a problem. IR temps will vary depending on ambient heat, sun exposure, braking etc but I’ve found they typically are within 10* or less of each other on the same side...unless there’s a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
7C24017F-41BC-4F75-9CB9-B4F634F0951D.jpg  
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:17 PM   #5

Ignore the tire chains - this was the close-up of the wheel I have on hand. On my prior 195RB I just took off the decorative chrome cover and ran with the hub and dust cap exposed. I've not wanted to do that on the new camper so you can see where the red arrow is pointing. I aim my IR gun at an angle to get as close to the rear bearing as I can. I usually check the temps at every fuel stop on longer trips.

Under normal circumstances I have found that at that position it runs ~15-20 degrees hotter than the outside ambient temperature and all 4 hubs are within ~5 degrees of each other. In hotter weather if you are running with the sun hitting one side a majority of the time you can expect that side to be somewhat hotter than the shaded side. Uneven loading or even excessive crowning of the road can also make one side or one axle a bit hotter than the other.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1977.jpg  
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 01:32 PM   #6

i just do the feel test. They will get warm but if they are too hot to touch then i would be concerned. Also, when i plan to check them, i'll turn the trailer brakes off to avoid the brakes adding additional heat which can throw you off. Best to do this on a long stretch of highway when you are pulling in for fuel or a rest stop. Just preplan your stoping and watch other traffic around you.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hub temperature, wheel hub