Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2017, 04:45 AM   #1
Site Team

Hurricane Irma

Hope and pray that anyone in the path of this monster will be safe. We are leaving Charleston today and heading inland where we already have the rv set up in a cg about 85 miles inland. The forecasts for our area show it staying of SC when it moves inland.
It's been a crazy week so far. We were in Maggie Valley yesterday and came home to button up the house.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:50 AM   #2
bap

Thinking of everyone in the path of the various hurricanes. Stay safe and I hope everyone comes out unscathed.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:37 AM   #3
Site Team

We are in Hiawassee GA yet. We are supposed to leave for a week in Chicago tomorrow to visit daughter and her twins. Son is putting up the Hurricane window coverings today, at home (Clearwater area - 150 yards from gulf - 18' above sea level at the mail box)

We are getting campers from the GA and FL coastal areas in the CG now.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:50 AM   #4

Prayers to all in the storms path...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Hope and pray that anyone in the path of this monster will be safe. ...
x2,

And hope you and your family is safe also Norty
Old 09-08-2017, 06:59 AM   #6

36 hours ago there was a bullseye just about on my house based on most forecast models. It looks like Irma's trying to stay south of the Savannah River so I'm hoping we won't get too much here. We're crossing our fingers. My oldest daughter came home from college last night as they evacuated the coast. Regardless how it plays out for us in SC, FL is about to get smashed from stem to stern. Prayers for those folks...

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:15 AM   #7

I have 2 sisters that live near Orlando. They have decided to stay put. One will be relocating their camper. We hope to be able to stay in touch as long as possible. Went through several as I grew up there. We plan on visiting in mid October. Prayers to all.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
I have 2 sisters that live near Orlando. They have decided to stay put. One will be relocating their camper.
Showing 75 mph wind gusts for that area, we have friends in Kissimmee who are staying too.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:52 AM   #9
Site Team

Stay safe, Norty.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:26 AM   #10

Watching coverage last evening and this am and got to ask those in the path of this thing. Mandatory evacs is all the authorities want to stress yet the next camera shot is endless miles of wall to wall cars jammed to a crawl going nowhere. Then they show the high rise condos along Miami beach and elsewhere like they somehow aren't going to be there come next week. Where would you be safer and more prepared to ride out the storm? On an interstate 50 miles north of Orlando or in a leaward room away from blowing glass on say the 10th floor of one of those high rises? With your Honda 2000 stored safely along with lanterns, headlamps, non perishable foods, water [fill the tub or lay in 3 or 4 cases of bottled water], a nnoa weather radio, vhf handheld and so forth; it seems to me that you would be better served to spend the 48 hours before the storm stocking your safe space than loading the family and dog into the SUV and joining one of the stalled wagon trains heading north.

Not trying to imply that you should preplan your hurricane party, just evaluate the realities and make good decisions and those may not be the dooms day ranting you see on the 24/7 weather channel.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:37 AM   #11

I guess anyone that didn't leave Miami already, has already made their choice. To 'bug in' or 'bug out' is a decision that you almost always have to make before all the facts are known.

Being trapped in a 10 story 'high rise' without enough food, power, water, sounds worse to me than heading north in a traffic jam that is at least moving the right direction. I would have left Miami yesterday by plane, train, truck, but I have 50 gallons of fresh gas at all times and my truck is always full. Easy for me (anyone) to say what they would do.

After Katrina everyone was calling the people that decided to hunker down fools, and they were right. Hindsight is awesome like that. Sending positive thoughts to everyone that will be impacted by this.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:31 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Our condo in Cape Coral, Fl is pretty much in the bullseye.
We have good insurance, but may be wintering in our TT.
Luckily we are at our main home in Cincinnati, Ohio safe and sound.

Be safe all.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
I guess anyone that didn't leave Miami already, has already made their choice. To 'bug in' or 'bug out' is a decision that you almost always have to make before all the facts are known.

Being trapped in a 10 story 'high rise' without enough food, power, water, sounds worse to me than heading north in a traffic jam that is at least moving the right direction. I would have left Miami yesterday by plane, train, truck, but I have 50 gallons of fresh gas at all times and my truck is always full. Easy for me (anyone) to say what they would do.

After Katrina everyone was calling the people that decided to hunker down fools, and they were right. Hindsight is awesome like that. Sending positive thoughts to everyone that will be impacted by this.
My reference to a 10 story building was in the context of how to spend the 48 or more hours since something like this was being broadcast. Plenty of time to prepare with non perishable food, water, lighting and batteries, and extra gas for the h2000 generator. Choosing a building a couple mile inland and making sure it was built to hurricane standards and I don't see the risk over getting stranded along an interstate as so many do everytime something like this comes up. Maybe its because I just can't stand parking lots on the interstate but I'm also pretty resourceful and with that kind of notice I would have plenty of time to get set up.

My brother in law bugged in during Katrina. Bad idea as his typical brick ranch was sitting within stones throw of a bayou on the windward side of the hurricane. His house was destroyed and he is lucky to be alive. He floated his dog on a floating door to higher ground during a lull in the storm. My earlier point though has some relivance to that storm as well. Devistation was beyond belief along the Mississippi coast and entire residential areas, schools, hospitals, and shopping centers within 5 miles of the coast were wiped out. The 2plus mile bridge across Baloxie bay was destroyed. About the only thing to survive in good shape were a few newer high rise apartment buildings. If you don't have a safe haven then get out of dodge.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #14

Running a generator in a high rise building or any building is s very bad idea
People do it. Then someone finds them and calls EMS and we get to pronounce them dead

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Running a generator in a high rise building or any building is s very bad idea
People do it. Then someone finds them and calls EMS and we get to pronounce them dead
In the calm after the storm I'm talking about out on the outside deck with the glass doors closed [and taped if you'd like]. Power for the fridge/freezer, microwave, ota tv, and maybe a few lights for a couple hours in the evening. Being in a hi rise without power might not be the best idea either but as I described before, I'd rather be there than out of gas in the median of an interstate.

At this point its really a moot point as its pretty much too late to get out. To those affected by this I think its fair to say we're all wishing you the best.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:12 AM   #16
Site Team

We are camped here at Palmetto Shores near Summerton, SC with 6 rigs from our camping club. Traffic is streaming North day and night. Thanks CUBA for slowing Irma down and it is now not going to affect us as much. We are leaving Sunday Morning to go home before the wind and rain starts but it's not expected to be bad.

We have not seen any gas or diesel shortage in Santee and Summerton in the area we are and the prices are not much more than we are expecting.

Also we just heard that Jose is moving North and out to sea.

We will be ready to flee again if needed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:56 AM   #17

We got out

As of this morning our home is almost ground zero. Took 15 1\2 hours to get to Mobile, Al which is normally a 8 hour drive. People have been heading north for 4 days and they are all going to try and get back at the same time!! NOT looking forward to that. Can't stay here forever. My thoughts and prayers are with those who decide to stay.
herbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:05 AM   #18

We are praying for everyone. We are also watching this beast carefully. These storms have a history of making "last minute" shifts, most recently Katrina as it approached shore. It's never over til it's over. If it heads into the Gulf, we will be ready. Right now, we have a ton of evacuees in the greater Birmingham area.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:12 AM   #19

Everyone has made their decision about fight or flight on this one by now so Good Luck to all.

On a different note: WHAT'S WITH THE SLICKER PEOPLE ON THE WEATHER CHANNEL AND OTHERS??? Cat 4 Cat 4 Cat 4 oh its dropped to Cat 3 [make that a powerful cat 3. It will for sure grow back to a [drum roll] Cat 4 once it heads toward Fla. Get out if you can but now its time to find that safe space and hunker down, WHILE WE DON OUR BLUE SLICKERS AND GO STAND IN THE PARKING LOT AND TAKE A STANCE THAT LOOKS LIKE WE ARE TRYING TO SURF ON AN IMAGINARY SURF BOARD. You would die but we are protected by our slickers. We are brave and submit ourselves to this danger for your [make that OUR] entertainment. Well they got their Cat 4 so Fla watch out. Now we switch to our slicker person in Tampa. Wind is blowing and palms are flapping. Now to our slicker person in Miami. Wind is blowing and raining hard. The roads are empty except for our news car driving down the highway [wipers flap, flap, flap]. Now back to Dr Who at Irma HQ. "This storm is a biggie, a real biggie, let me update you. Its windy, real windy, and [switching to the monitor] there is this big red swirl covering most of Fla with green and yellow outer swirls. Now back to slicker person in Fort Myers. Blah, blah, blah, and now back to slicker person in ----------- and so on.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:35 AM   #20

No one is making you watch the Weather Channel

I suggest real camping without cable

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote