Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2017, 09:04 AM   #1

Hypothetical question...:)

We bought the TT listed in sig (our 1st) last October and got a great deal on it (much to the chagrin of our douchebag salesman). One of the biggest reasons we bought a TT was because I didn't have a pickup to pull a 5'er. Well, it took about 3 weeks for me to decide to buy a pickup (also in sig). Having said that, we already LOVE the camping lifestyle and are considering upgrading to a 5'er.

Having said that, I am just curious to know when the best time to trade would be. Should we do it immediately knowing that is ultimately what will happen? Or should we wait for 2-3 years to build more "equity" in the TT? When would we get the best "trade-in" price from a dealer?

Of course, the DW thinks we need to wait a couple of years minimum. I, on the other hand, think there is no time like the present.

What are y'all's opinions?

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:10 AM   #2

I was in the same boat as you. Bought the 28BHBE and towed a few times with the DW's SUV. That was enough for me...bought a Ram 2500 diesel. We kept our 28BHBE for the duration of the 2 yr warranty and traded in for a North Point 377 5th wheel. The dealer gave me $500 less than what I paid for the BHBE 2 yrs earlier and I think that I got a good deal on the 377. I say if you can get a good deal now do it...if not walk away and keep camping and trying to find a good deal.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #3

Your biggest depreciation hit has already taken place. I'm reminded of a quote....

If you find yourself in a hole, it's best to stop digging.

It would only make sense to wait if you plan on paying your TT off. The concept of 'equity' in a depreciating asset is problematic.

Making another 1000 dollars in payments on something that will lose close to, or more than 1000 dollars in value over that same time period doesn't make a lot of financial sense. Would make more sense for those payments to go against something you plan on keeping for a while.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:12 AM   #4

You can use NADA to get some idea of depreciation. Just price yours today, last years model, and back each year after that to get some figures.

In cars the first three years are the fastest depreciation with driving off the lot the worst.

To me the deciding factor is weather the change to the fifth wheel is worth the money.

Last, go to a dealer and price out the difference now.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #5

There is a huge difference in storage from a TT to a decent sized 5ver.
I don't take anything out when I get home. Everything is still there for next time.
I can leave in the drop of a hat. I can use the rig at home without anything in the way.
Our friends have a TT. Inside the trailer is full, the truck is full, they pack before hand...get home and unpack. Store stuff. PITA.
Totally takes the relaxation out of the "holiday"

I would trade in a heartbeat. I only had my TT (12 years ago) for 6 months until I parked beside a guy with a 5ver.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #6

DW and I bought a TT in Sept of 09 and it didn't take long to know we needed bigger and better. So in March '10 we bought out first 5er, Jayco Eagle 371RLTS. Loved it. Towed like a dream, plenty of room (for the most part). I wanted a bigger fridge, more counter space, and more importantly NEWER! So in April '15 we ordered our current '16 Pinnacle 36REQS. I am ready for a change already. Long story short, We took a BIG hit on trading the TT in so early, but in the long run.......... It was worth it.!!! Good luck on your future purchase.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Your biggest depreciation hit has already taken place. I'm reminded of a quote....

If you find yourself in a hole, it's best to stop digging.

It would only make sense to wait if you plan on paying your TT off. The concept of 'equity' in a depreciating asset is problematic.

Making another 1000 dollars in payments on something that will lose close to, or more than 1000 dollars in value over that same time period doesn't make a lot of financial sense. Would make more sense for those payments to go against something you plan on keeping for a while.
Pure wisdom.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #8

I've done the "wait for the right time" method before. It works as long as the right time is based on the deal for what you're buying. Start looking for what you want now. Really good deals aren't always available when you decide the timing is best. They come along when someone is motivated to get rid of the RV you want. New RVs I find seem to have the best deals around here at the RV shows in the fall when they know inventory will sit under snow for the next 5-6 months. Beyond that it's just luck finding the right RV at the right price, and of being prepared to buy now and willing to wait as long as need be.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:51 PM   #9

Off topic.
RayPayne you don't have too many more places to go to fill your map.
Do you plan on filling it in with your new NorthPoint?
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Off topic.
RayPayne you don't have too many more places to go to fill your map.
Do you plan on filling it in with your new NorthPoint?

There are lots of places to go still even in states and provinces that show as filled in. This coming year will be a low travel year. The NorthPoint is in a seasonal park for all summer use. After it's modified enough I can work from the RV without issue I'll start racking up the summer trip miles again.