Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:17 AM   #1

Hypothetical towing question

I'm already setup as far as my TV goes, but I have a hypothetical question about using a different vehicle.

2008 Ram 1500 with Tow package installed, BUT only a V6 and the rated tow capacity is 3450 lbs.

My unit comes in dry at about 4750 lbs.

My usual trip is about 30 - 40 miles away and 95% flat roads and speed limit is max at 55mph.

So, the obvious question that I pretty much already know the answer to is what damage do you think I would / could cause by using my truck to make a short trip every now and again.

The odds are extremely stacked against me on this. I am already running about 2000 lbs overweight. I have a hearty rear suspension so that really isn't in issue.. Just the V6 power and to be honest I couldn't answer anything about the transmission that is installed.

I know I am opening myself up to all kinds of rhetoric on this question, but like I said it really is just a hypothetical question..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:26 AM   #2

I'm probably in the minority but I think that is fine. You will be under powered for sure but 30-40 miles once in a while on flat roads with a max speed of 55, I see no damage to the vehicle. Be smart, don't try and race other vehicles. You have a 1500 suspension and braking which with a different motor would be just fine. I see no need to buy a different vehicle for the infrequent trips. If you were planning on going across country and back, different story.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:26 AM   #3

Matching the tow to the trailer is vitally important!

A V6 is not an instant NO for a tow vehicle. My parent's 2002 Explorer 4.0L and SWMBO's 2009 Tacoma 3.8L have towed smaller trailers quite well.

We're within 80% of the Tacoma's max with the 19RD. Our trips include some pretty severe hills.

So, size your tow to the load. Give yourself a good margin for safety.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
Old 10-06-2015, 08:35 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I towed 5500 lbs with a 1997 Ford Aerostar V6 3.73 rear. Tow capacity 4200 lbs
On the flat it is OK. The wind is the biggest problem not the weight. For small trips it was OK
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
Old 10-06-2015, 09:02 AM   #5

You may be fine until you have to make an emergency stop. Then you may have real problems. If you hit a car because you failed to stop and you knowingly towed over your limit, you will be in serious legal trouble. If there are serious injuries or fatalities involved, the problems will be both civil and criminal.

Just doesn't seem worth it to me.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post
You may be fine until you have to make an emergency stop. Then you may have real problems. If you hit a car because you failed to stop and you knowingly towed over your limit, you will be in serious legal trouble. If there are serious injuries or fatalities involved, the problems will be both civil and criminal.

v8 or v6 his brakes are most likely the same.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knauby View Post
v8 or v6 his brakes are most likely the same.
Yea, Sorry but I am going to have to agree.. Difference in engine power does not translate into different brakes and stopping power...

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
Yea, Sorry but I am going to have to agree.. Difference in engine power does not translate into different brakes and stopping power...
So you think the brakes that Dodge specs out for a vehicle that can tow 3450 are the same brakes that Dodge would put on a vehicle that is spec'd to tow 9000?

Doesn't seem likely.

Regardless, you'll run into legal problems if you are involved in an accident. You may even have issues with your insurance company.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:11 AM   #9

Hey, Tex. Curious. Are you into base jumping too? Hypothetically, that is.
'14 Denali XL
Old 10-06-2015, 11:29 AM   #10

Quote:
I'm already setup as far as my TV goes, but I have a hypothetical question about using a different vehicle.

2008 Ram 1500 with Tow package installed, BUT only a V6 and the rated tow capacity is 3450 lbs.

My unit comes in dry at about 4750 lbs.

My usual trip is about 30 - 40 miles away and 95% flat roads and speed limit is max at 55mph.

So, the obvious question that I pretty much already know the answer to is what damage do you think I would / could cause by using my truck to make a short trip every now and again.

The odds are extremely stacked against me on this. I am already running about 2000 lbs overweight. I have a hearty rear suspension so that really isn't in issue.. Just the V6 power and to be honest I couldn't answer anything about the transmission that is installed.

I know I am opening myself up to all kinds of rhetoric on this question, but like I said it really is just a hypothetical question..
You will never ever win on this forum asking that question. Somebody has had their wife's cousins nephew's step brother's neighbor pulled over and weighed and they were sited for numerous violations resulting in millions of dollars in tickets. I would just delete your post.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knauby View Post
You will never ever win on this forum asking that question. Somebody has had their wife's cousins nephew's step brother's neighbor pulled over and weighed and they were sited for numerous violations resulting in millions of dollars in tickets. I would just delete your post.
Has nothing to do with somebody's wife's cousin's nephew's step brother's neighbor. It has to do with reason and logic. What would a reasonable person think is the correct thing to do? That's the legal metric.

If he were talking about towing 2000 lbs over a 10000 lb tow rating (20%), a reasonable person might not that that's really all that bad of an idea. But he's talking about towing 2000 lbs over a 3450 lb tow rating. That's nearly 60% over his towing capacity. And he's probably even further over on payload capacity.

You're not going to convince a jury full of unreasonable people that you're not at fault, much less a jury full of reasonable people.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:48 AM   #12
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

Confused here - the trailer has its own brakes, right? Regardless, when you buy brake parts there is no distinction for engine size, only cab and 2/4WD.

That being said, I don't think the Dodge tranny will survive.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJR View Post
Confused here - the trailer has its own brakes, right? Regardless, when you buy brake parts there is no distinction for engine size, only cab and 2/4WD.
Those trailer brakes are NOTHING like your ABS disc brakes. Comparing an A team with the majors!
'14 Denali XL
Old 10-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #14

Hey guys, remember.. This is hypothetical only.. I have a rated TV already, was just curious as to opinions here.. One point that was brought up and I totally agree with is the potential legal ramifications if ever this was done and there was an accident.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Hey guys, remember.. This is hypothetical only.. I have a rated TV already, was just curious as to opinions here.. One point that was brought up and I totally agree with is the potential legal ramifications if ever this was done and there was an accident.
Right, Tex, and I noted that in my humorous reply. No reason not to ask such a question.
'14 Denali XL
Old 10-06-2015, 12:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Actually, it can. 80% of braking is done with the FRONT wheels. With a smaller/lighter engine there is less weight on the front tires and therefore less potential friction with the ground to stop the rig.

If we sat down with the math, the amounts will probably be barely significant.

BUT, when you are dealing with professionals that routinely thread elephants through sewing needles... We are all better off knowing the actual weights we are hauling and keeping that UNDER the manufacturer's rated limits.

Regardless of size of the truck, trailer, engine, dually, doors on the cab, hitch type, BTU's of the A/C, etc. ad nausium.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
Old 10-06-2015, 12:54 PM   #17

Where's my popcorn?

Hypothetically? I would assume something would bend or break. If it didn't I would be surprised.

When I was a kid, the fuel pump in our 1988 Suburban died while pulling a 25 ft tandem axle flat bed trailer stacked double tall with gear up a pretty serious grade. My dad has worked for various rental car companies his entire life and happened to be driving a company mini-van loaded with boy scouts up the very same hill. Grandpa was driving the Sub when the fuel stopped flowing, and I was riding shotgun. We were blocking traffic going up the little crushed limestone road that was on private property, so it wasn't a public road or anything.

My dad looked for about 30 seconds, figured that 8 tons of freight wasn't going to move itself, so he got all the boys out of the van, hooked it up to the tow hooks on the Sub and pulled the whole train up about another 3-400 ft of hillside. With a Dodge Caravan. Front wheel drive with a little V-6. I had to scrape my jaw up off the road with a shovel. I simply couldn't believe that little mini-van could pull all that truck and trailer up the hill like that! And nothing broke!

Moral of the story is that sometimes equipment will surprise you when tested WAY beyond its limits. And sometimes stuff breaks. We ended up dropping the tank right there on that crushed limestone road and replacing the fuel pump. Truck had skid plates over the tank as well, so that was fun. I learned MANY valuable lessons that day. And my dad and that little van earned A LOT of my respect too.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Old 10-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip........ So, the obvious question that I pretty much already know the answer to is what damage do you think I would / could cause by using my truck to make a short trip every now and again ....... snip ....... I know I am opening myself up to all kinds of rhetoric on this question, but like I said it really is just a hypothetical question..
Tex1961,

There is a good chance the transmission's operating temperature may increase when in tow...., translates into possible premature component wear and/or failure.

The TV's steering & braking characteristics may be compromised, even under ideal towing conditions.

At the end of the day, IMO, the short distance one may be traveling is moot under the hypothetical conditions described by the OP, the effects of the over weight condition start at mile one...., even under ideal towing conditions (flats, no wind, etc.).

Just thinking out-loud......

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Old 10-06-2015, 04:05 PM   #19
Site Team

X2 to Rustic eagle's post.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
Old 10-06-2015, 05:56 PM   #20

I wonder what would happen in a court room, should you be involved in an accident, with a under sized tow veh ? Seems like you would be guilty before the trial started!
Closed Thread