Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 07:38 PM   #21

I stand hat in hand, having already been properly flogged for weights.
2011 Shelby GT500 (only thing it pulls is G's)
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited (DD's)
1995 F-150 short wheel base (Sold)
Old 10-06-2015, 08:35 PM   #22

Smile

Ok... If you ever see a blue Dodge Ram pickup pulling a 264 bh somewhere around the north Texas area don't wave. It's not me.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:52 PM   #23

HAHA. I have the opposite problem you do. Plenty of motor (and brakes too), just need a little more wheel base, and suspension. Really, my set up actually pulls well. My only problem is that little sticker in the door jam.
2011 Shelby GT500 (only thing it pulls is G's)
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited (DD's)
1995 F-150 short wheel base (Sold)
Old 10-07-2015, 05:27 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Actually, it can. 80% of braking is done with the FRONT wheels. With a smaller/lighter engine there is less weight on the front tires and therefore less potential friction with the ground to stop the rig.
Then how is Ford getting away with stuffing a 2.7 Ecoboost into a regular cab shortbox truck and saying it can pull 7600#? I bet that truck weighs 500# less than the Ram in question!

Also the tow rating is based on the package. The ram gets less towing capacity because of the engine and transmission. The brakes, rear end and suspension are the same size wether it has the 3.7 v6 or the 5.7 Hemi.

In reality, we all know that trailer can't be towed with less than a 1 ton diesel!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
Old 10-07-2015, 06:39 AM   #25
Site Team

Braking would be my biggest worry.

You could eliminate a lot of weight on that short a trip by taking a second vehicle with a lot of passenger and supplies.

I used to tow a small popup with a VW Bug for trips within my home state every year and we always had a good time. The VW however was not to happy about it. Only mod was oversized rear tires.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 10-07-2015, 08:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
Then how is Ford getting away with stuffing a 2.7 Ecoboost into a regular cab shortbox truck and saying it can pull 7600#? I bet that truck weighs 500# less than the Ram in question!

Also the tow rating is based on the package. The ram gets less towing capacity because of the engine and transmission. The brakes, rear end and suspension are the same size wether it has the 3.7 v6 or the 5.7 Hemi.

In reality, we all know that trailer can't be towed with less than a 1 ton diesel!
My statement should have begun with the phrase "All other things being equal..."

And I totally agree that a Full Ton class truck with 6 to 8 liters of turbocharged Diesel goodness is the way to tow.

However, those of us in the Cheap Seats can only dream.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
Old 10-07-2015, 03:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post
So you think the brakes that Dodge specs out for a vehicle that can tow 3450 are the same brakes that Dodge would put on a vehicle that is spec'd to tow 9000?

Regardless, you'll run into legal problems if you are involved in an accident. You may even have issues with your insurance company.
My truck (Ram also) comes with 2 different engine packages, two different transmissions and three different axle ratios. All the same suspension and brakes, and every configuration has a different towing capacity so yes, Ram will put the same brakes on a truck with a 16,000 pound towing capacity or a 29,000 pound towing capacity. It's too expensive and too confusing to make different calipers and braking components for each tow rating.

I also challenge anyone to bring forth a lawsuit of a non professional driver being charged with driving while overloaded. I've been a part of this discussion for years. Not one case has ever been brought forth. Commercial drivers on the other hand are very closely regulated and open for lawsuits for being 1 pound over. Lawyers love those guys.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
My truck (Ram also) comes with 2 different engine packages, two different transmissions and three different axle ratios. All the same suspension and brakes, and every configuration has a different towing capacity so yes, Ram will put the same brakes on a truck with a 16,000 pound towing capacity or a 29,000 pound towing capacity. It's too expensive and too confusing to make different calipers and braking components for each tow rating.

I also challenge anyone to bring forth a lawsuit of a non professional driver being charged with driving while overloaded. I've been a part of this discussion for years. Not one case has ever been brought forth. Commercial drivers on the other hand are very closely regulated and open for lawsuits for being 1 pound over. Lawyers love those guys.

I think we act like lawyers way to much or watch to much TV. Internet forums are full of warnings concerning yellow stickers but why not peal the thing off the truck, it's your truck. Most states have laws about not removing VIN numbers and any DOT information has to stay but the rest of it is much like the stickers you find on a new mattress or pillow.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
Old 10-07-2015, 04:28 PM   #29

Ok all. Here's proof... I'm all hitched up for the weekend coming up.. Have a 3 day planned...

NO DODGE TRUCK WITH A V-6
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0774.jpg  

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:55 PM   #30

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Tex1961 go for it. Take the 'Bull' by the horns. I would do the same thing. I believe in a challenge. Not in "Doomsday"!
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
Old 10-07-2015, 10:39 PM   #31

As someone posted above, you need the biggest, most expensive one ton diesel to pull your trailer that 30 or 40 miles. Preferably one with a lift kit and really loud exhaust, so everyone will notice you!

Common sense will get you there with your V6.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:42 PM   #32

Besides the obvious fact of being way over weight the liability should something happen is indefensible. As a licensed operator you are responsible for the condition of and how your vehicle is being operated. Even if you're operating a vehicle you dont own.

Now I am willing to wager that the suspension for a truck with a V-6 motor is lighter than a V-8 motor. Brakes might be the same how ever weight distribution and handling would be greatly affected. Approx 80% of your braking is done by your front brakes. Now load up the suspension with weight beyond the trucks weight rating and I promise you your steering and handling and braking will be adversely affected. I mean, really, does your TV stop in the same distance empty as compared to loaded with your gear and trailer? Nuh Uhh!
Also I suspect that the cooling system will be smaller. Smaller rad, trans cooler if equipped and so on and so on and so on.
Ya think every truck in that year has a different towing capacity just because?

Suppose you wipe out a family somewhere. Ya think a lawyer and the police arent gonna look at your set up? Google Overloaded tow vehicle lawsuits. There is plenty of information.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertles View Post

Ya its too confusing to have all different parts and ratings. REALLY? Me thinks thoust are a troll. Then with your logic it shouldnt matter. All trucks should be able to handle all the same weights? Umm Nooo.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:00 AM   #34

There are many TV/ trlr combinations on the road that if you knew the details --- would stay off the road, when I set up a TV/Trlr combo I leave a good amount of weight ratio in my favor'. Not much fun going down the road at 40mph hoping it won't get breezy. Also how many folks have anti sway bars ?
Old 10-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhillbilly View Post
I wonder what would happen in a court room, should you be involved in an accident, with a under sized tow veh ? Seems like you would be guilty before the trial started!
You'd think. But juries think it's a lotto and they just decide how much $$ you get, like for putting hot coffee between your legs and being surprised at the outcome! We're done.
'14 Denali XL
Old 10-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #36

Hypothetically, I would hook up to it and go. No where is it written that just because the max speed limit is 55, you have to actually go 55. Slow down, take things easy, and pull with your Dodge. A lot of uninformed guessing here about what running gear is actually under your truck.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Old 10-08-2015, 01:52 PM   #37

Hypothetical towing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
Ok all. Here's proof... I'm all hitched up for the weekend coming up.. Have a 3 day planned...

NO DODGE TRUCK WITH A V-6

There you go... That GMC Yukon will get it done! Have a great weekend camping.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:10 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
There you go... That GMC Yukon will get it done! Have a great weekend camping.
Thanks, and you are right.. There is a lot of power in that Yukon.. Hardly know the TT is behind us...

Old 10-08-2015, 07:39 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
Hypothetically, I would hook up to it and go. No where is it written that just because the max speed limit is 55, you have to actually go 55. Slow down, take things easy, and pull with your Dodge. A lot of uninformed guessing here about what running gear is actually under your truck.
As a Journeyman red seal mechanic who's pulled wrenches for 20 yrs and the last 7+yrs I spent in the trade was in a Dodge dealership. As a retired fire fighter of 13,yrs who has attended more than I can remember motor vehicle crashes - many of which involved vehicles of all sizes towing something behind them. I'm not guessing. To advise someone to engage in an activity that potentially puts himself and everyone else on the road around him at risk is criminal. Go ahead drive impaired, just drive a little slower, you'll be fiiiine. Not only criminal its asinine. Ya, it is.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #40

Just for kicks, part numbers for calipers and rotors for a 2008 ram 1500 ST 4wd are identical for both V6 and 5.7. Not that it matters, since it was hypothetical.
Closed Thread