Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-06-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Tex1961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 507
Hypothetical towing question

I'm already setup as far as my TV goes, but I have a hypothetical question about using a different vehicle.

2008 Ram 1500 with Tow package installed, BUT only a V6 and the rated tow capacity is 3450 lbs.

My unit comes in dry at about 4750 lbs.

My usual trip is about 30 - 40 miles away and 95% flat roads and speed limit is max at 55mph.

So, the obvious question that I pretty much already know the answer to is what damage do you think I would / could cause by using my truck to make a short trip every now and again.

The odds are extremely stacked against me on this. I am already running about 2000 lbs overweight. I have a hearty rear suspension so that really isn't in issue.. Just the V6 power and to be honest I couldn't answer anything about the transmission that is installed.

I know I am opening myself up to all kinds of rhetoric on this question, but like I said it really is just a hypothetical question..
__________________

__________________
2013 Jayco Jayflight Swift 264BH
2002 Yukon 5.3L Vortex w/tow package

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline  
Old 10-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Rochester
Posts: 72
I'm probably in the minority but I think that is fine. You will be under powered for sure but 30-40 miles once in a while on flat roads with a max speed of 55, I see no damage to the vehicle. Be smart, don't try and race other vehicles. You have a 1500 suspension and braking which with a different motor would be just fine. I see no need to buy a different vehicle for the infrequent trips. If you were planning on going across country and back, different story.
__________________

Wertles is offline  
Old 10-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,837
Matching the tow to the trailer is vitally important!


A V6 is not an instant NO for a tow vehicle. My parent's 2002 Explorer 4.0L and SWMBO's 2009 Tacoma 3.8L have towed smaller trailers quite well.


We're within 80% of the Tacoma's max with the 19RD. Our trips include some pretty severe hills.


So, size your tow to the load. Give yourself a good margin for safety.
__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline  
Old 10-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
ALJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sparwood, BC
Posts: 1,329
Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I towed 5500 lbs with a 1997 Ford Aerostar V6 3.73 rear. Tow capacity 4200 lbs
On the flat it is OK. The wind is the biggest problem not the weight. For small trips it was OK
__________________
2014 Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 3.92 Rear and Air Lift 1000
2005 Jayco Jay Feather LGT - 29Y GVWR-7000 lbs.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline  
Old 10-06-2015, 10:02 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Modesto
Posts: 261
You may be fine until you have to make an emergency stop. Then you may have real problems. If you hit a car because you failed to stop and you knowingly towed over your limit, you will be in serious legal trouble. If there are serious injuries or fatalities involved, the problems will be both civil and criminal.

Just doesn't seem worth it to me.
__________________
2014 Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost with 3.31 rear drive
2016 White Hawk 23MRB
tylersdad is offline  
Old 10-06-2015, 10:33 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: York
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post
You may be fine until you have to make an emergency stop. Then you may have real problems. If you hit a car because you failed to stop and you knowingly towed over your limit, you will be in serious legal trouble. If there are serious injuries or fatalities involved, the problems will be both civil and criminal.

Just doesn't seem worth it to me.
v8 or v6 his brakes are most likely the same.
Knauby is offline  
Old 10-06-2015, 10:38 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Tex1961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knauby View Post
v8 or v6 his brakes are most likely the same.
Yea, Sorry but I am going to have to agree.. Difference in engine power does not translate into different brakes and stopping power...
__________________
2013 Jayco Jayflight Swift 264BH
2002 Yukon 5.3L Vortex w/tow package

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline  
Old 10-06-2015, 10:51 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Modesto
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
Yea, Sorry but I am going to have to agree.. Difference in engine power does not translate into different brakes and stopping power...
So you think the brakes that Dodge specs out for a vehicle that can tow 3450 are the same brakes that Dodge would put on a vehicle that is spec'd to tow 9000?

Doesn't seem likely.

Regardless, you'll run into legal problems if you are involved in an accident. You may even have issues with your insurance company.
__________________
2014 Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost with 3.31 rear drive
2016 White Hawk 23MRB
tylersdad is offline  
Old 10-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
cekkk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Murrieta
Posts: 2,421
Hey, Tex. Curious. Are you into base jumping too? Hypothetically, that is.
__________________
'11 Eagle 320RLDS
'02 F350 PSD Dually 4WD
DW's Ride, '13 Expedition
cekkk is offline  
Old 10-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: York
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
I'm already setup as far as my TV goes, but I have a hypothetical question about using a different vehicle.

2008 Ram 1500 with Tow package installed, BUT only a V6 and the rated tow capacity is 3450 lbs.

My unit comes in dry at about 4750 lbs.

My usual trip is about 30 - 40 miles away and 95% flat roads and speed limit is max at 55mph.

So, the obvious question that I pretty much already know the answer to is what damage do you think I would / could cause by using my truck to make a short trip every now and again.

The odds are extremely stacked against me on this. I am already running about 2000 lbs overweight. I have a hearty rear suspension so that really isn't in issue.. Just the V6 power and to be honest I couldn't answer anything about the transmission that is installed.

I know I am opening myself up to all kinds of rhetoric on this question, but like I said it really is just a hypothetical question..
You will never ever win on this forum asking that question. Somebody has had their wife's cousins nephew's step brother's neighbor pulled over and weighed and they were sited for numerous violations resulting in millions of dollars in tickets. I would just delete your post.
__________________

Knauby is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.