Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2021, 05:21 PM   #1

I-40 Tenn to NC

Planning my summer trips and it looks like I will need to travel on I-40 from Tennessee into North Carolina. I have been over that mountain in a car several times but never towing anything. I have a 195RB travel trailer with a max gross of 3,750 and scales out at 3,580. My TV is a Honda Pilot with a 5,000 towing limit. I am experienced at towing so my question is should I find another route? Thanks in advance.
RallyAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:05 PM   #2

I did that a couple years ago from Memphis through Nashville to I81 towing a Hummingbird with a Toyota Highlander. It was fine and no problems. Once on 81 I went up past Roanoke and then to Richmond.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:34 PM   #3

Towed a 195 with a Honda Ridgeline many times through that route. Asheville can be confusing..just pay attention to the painted route numbers on the road to be sure you are in the correct lane. If you want some sporting fun try 1 26 north out of Asheville to Johnson City in the wind and snow. Not recommended. I 77 out of Charlotte has a very long grade but you should be fine.. Both routes leave 1-40 . Not germane at all if you are going east towards 95.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:20 AM   #4

When we were in Gatlinburg once, we wanted to go South- up and over the mountain on Newfound Gap Road. Decided I was too much of a rookie at towing for that. So we took the long way around using I-40. It was steep, but our gas engine had no problem pulling our 5th wheel along that route. We weren't setting any land speed records, but it was ok, and engine braking was pretty good too. We just made sure that we slowed way down BEFORE we started a long downhill grade.