Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2022, 02:35 PM   #1

I brought the whine who's got some cheese?

Am I expecting too much?

August 23 2021 we went to look at a 2021 Alante 31V by appointment.
It sold before we got there.

We put down $5000 on a 2022 because you know “sold units get priority from Jayco in the deliveries”

This did turn out to be the right decision, they have gone up about $20K from what I can see in the very few listings available.

We then took our last trip in the 2015 31FK and prepared to sell it. They suggested we list it privately but do the transaction through the dealership. They called it a pass-through trade. That worked to our benefit, they charged us $299 we got all but $10 of the selling price which is supposed to reduce the taxes we pay on the new one by half.

End of November I noticed on Jayco site the 31V said Dealer stock only so of course I emailed the dealer.
Salesman reassured me Jayco are still building and delivering ordered units. He gave me the build scheduled as 2nd week of December. Gave me a VIN the following day.

Two weeks of crickets.

I emailed again, parts shortage, no details.
Reached out to Jayco directly and learned we are waiting for theatre seating and it should be completed after the holiday shutdown.
2nd week I January I checked in with Jayco, all done just waiting delivery schedule.

More crickets from the dealer.

I emailed salesman end of January, nothing.
A week later I followed up. We got the Seneca, yours is next.

Then the border got closed.

End of February I asked the salesman are you getting anything. Response, should be here next week.
Ok so here we are next week, it arrived Tuesday but I cannot go inspect it or review the PDI with them. It’s RV show time here and of course no one is at the dealership.
Finance manager who wants to sell us $7000 protection package was sounding offended that I wanted to do PDI before giving them the check. Can’t do that insurance etc. Tells me it will be a couple of weeks before we can have it.

Out of curiosity since we got an updated bill of sale saying over 900 KM I checked google maps, 736 KM from Jayco to the dealer. Throw in the round trip from dealer to RV show site and oh look over 900 KM.
I’m tempted to go to the RV show and look for my VIN.
DW, (I finally looked that up in another thread on the forums) says I need to be more patient.

I know these are problems across many industries right now, doesn’t mean the salesman couldn’t take a few minutes now and again to update his customers. Not have to be asked.

Of course, I could be wrong wouldn’t be the first time. Just ask DW

I am sure some might say walk away from that dealer but doing that would lose us the $10K tax savings from the trade and whatever extra amount the unit has gone up if we could even find one.

Well looking on the bright side we are in a relatively safe part of the world and our problems are kinda trivial.

Regards,

John

2019 Chevrolet Silverado
2017 Grand Design 2150RB (Traded in)
2016 GMC Canyon (Traded in)
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 04:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Two interesting points from your post. First, I have never had any issue doing a complete PDI and or multiple inspections before ever handing over any money to a dealer. In fact, one of the things that I've always emphasized on this forum is the importance of being 100% satisfied with your unit before you pay and take delivery. It saves the frustration of falling for the "Oh, just make a list of things you want repaired and we will take care of it under warranty " line that many dealers give, only then to have people waiting months to be completely satisfied with their RV.

Secondly, being the suspicious person that I tend to be, I would be at that RV show looking for your VIN. It could lead to some interesting conversations with your dealer if you would happen to find it there.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 04:50 PM   #3

I would already be on the road to the show…..

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 05:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Two interesting points from your post. First, I have never had any issue doing a complete PDI and or multiple inspections before ever handing over any money to a dealer. In fact, one of the things that I've always emphasized on this forum is the importance of being 100% satisfied with your unit before you pay and take delivery. It saves the frustration of falling for the "Oh, just make a list of things you want repaired and we will take care of it under warranty " line that many dealers give, only then to have people waiting months to be completely satisfied with their RV.

Secondly, being the suspicious person that I tend to be, I would be at that RV show looking for your VIN. It could lead to some interesting conversations with your dealer if you would happen to find it there.
Yeah really. Wife doesn't like confrontation so I will just have to wonder.

I do recall reading several post on PDI. I believe someone buying a Seneca in GA I think it was said the dealer even had it inside all hooked up for power etc..

I will just have to be as thorough as I can be inspecting a unit in what could be good or bad conditions at this time of year here.

Maybe someone reading this will be going to the Toronto RV show and just happen by (PM me please)

and Rusty my Creality arrives tomorrow.

Regards,

John
2019 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 03-03-2022, 05:44 PM   #5

Walk away prices are going to drop
Like a brick units will be sitting on dealer
Lots. Very very soon. You will
Start noticing less buyers on lots
Be patient
All our best central Florida
Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 06:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Am I expecting too much?

August 23 2021 we went to look at a 2021 Alante 31V by appointment.
It sold before we got there.

We put down $5000 on a 2022 because you know “sold units get priority from Jayco in the deliveries”

This did turn out to be the right decision, they have gone up about $20K from what I can see in the very few listings available.

We then took our last trip in the 2015 31FK and prepared to sell it. They suggested we list it privately but do the transaction through the dealership. They called it a pass-through trade. That worked to our benefit, they charged us $299 we got all but $10 of the selling price which is supposed to reduce the taxes we pay on the new one by half.

End of November I noticed on Jayco site the 31V said Dealer stock only so of course I emailed the dealer.
Salesman reassured me Jayco are still building and delivering ordered units. He gave me the build scheduled as 2nd week of December. Gave me a VIN the following day.

Two weeks of crickets.

I emailed again, parts shortage, no details.
Reached out to Jayco directly and learned we are waiting for theatre seating and it should be completed after the holiday shutdown.
2nd week I January I checked in with Jayco, all done just waiting delivery schedule.

More crickets from the dealer.

I emailed salesman end of January, nothing.
A week later I followed up. We got the Seneca, yours is next.

Then the border got closed.

End of February I asked the salesman are you getting anything. Response, should be here next week.
Ok so here we are next week, it arrived Tuesday but I cannot go inspect it or review the PDI with them. It’s RV show time here and of course no one is at the dealership.
Finance manager who wants to sell us $7000 protection package was sounding offended that I wanted to do PDI before giving them the check. Can’t do that insurance etc. Tells me it will be a couple of weeks before we can have it.

Out of curiosity since we got an updated bill of sale saying over 900 KM I checked google maps, 736 KM from Jayco to the dealer. Throw in the round trip from dealer to RV show site and oh look over 900 KM.
I’m tempted to go to the RV show and look for my VIN.
DW, (I finally looked that up in another thread on the forums) says I need to be more patient.

I know these are problems across many industries right now, doesn’t mean the salesman couldn’t take a few minutes now and again to update his customers. Not have to be asked.

Of course, I could be wrong wouldn’t be the first time. Just ask DW

I am sure some might say walk away from that dealer but doing that would lose us the $10K tax savings from the trade and whatever extra amount the unit has gone up if we could even find one.

Well looking on the bright side we are in a relatively safe part of the world and our problems are kinda trivial.

Regards,

John

Sent you a private message.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:15 AM   #7

If I went to the show and found my VIN (from order) being used as a showcase, I'd cancel my order pronto. I would not appretiate the dealer using my ordered VIN as a showcase for dozens of folks parading trough it, no mater how clean it was on delivery.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:55 AM   #8

Being a show unit would not stop me from the purchase but it would also open the door to renegotiation of the price - mileage as well as inside wear and tear on carpets, dings and scratches and general dirt. I would also suggest that $7K "protection package" be thrown in as in general, they are worthless. I would also, once it's over and done, a call to the local BBB and on line reviews be considered against the unscrupulous dealership.

Vehicle finance managers are an even lower form of life then salesmen. We walked from a nice mid-high end 5th wheel and came close on a new car deal. The 5er was over a $250 accessory that was on the demo trailer with the sell price based on that and wasn't on the final sale unit and he wouldn't adjust the price. We ended up with a Montana instead.

2011 F250 CCLB, 6.7 w/Puck System plus Slide in camper option,

2014 Montana 343RL (Just sold it)
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 07:40 AM   #9

Take a trip along 99 between Bakersfield and Sacramento. You'll pass at least a dozen large RV Sales lots.. (maybe more). Each of them are over stocked, their lots are filled to the brim. Even Class A's are stocked up.. There is no way these dealers can jack up prices due to low inventories. If anyone buys on impulse they aint paying attention,
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
If I went to the show and found my VIN (from order) being used as a showcase, I'd cancel my order pronto. I would not appretiate the dealer using my ordered VIN as a showcase for dozens of folks parading trough it, no mater how clean it was on delivery.
I know that is tempting.

They wouldn't be the first place I stopped giving my business to. If I did that though, they would sell it for a higher price than what our deal is for and we would have to pay full sales tax anywhere else instead of the reduced tax because of our trade. I would only be hurting myself
Trust is really important but should I throw away up to $30K?

I will let ya'll know how it turns out.

Pretty sure even if there are a few bugs like we expect it will be a good unit with lot of years usage.

I just wanted to vent with people who understand.

Regards,

John
2019 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 03-04-2022, 09:08 AM   #11

I don't think it would stop me from buying the unit. It would give me leverage for a discount or some free stuff maybe....I would want to know..
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:30 AM   #12

I'd check out the roadshow and if it was there have a talk with Jayco, the dealer and BBB if they didn't start bringing that price down. I'd google around and see what the ownership trail is. Do they even have a right to borrow your rig for a show?
Old 03-04-2022, 10:57 AM   #13

These are all good comments and offer some good suggestions. I’m in the exact position as JohnK wondering if my new unit is at the CNY Camping Show this weekend instead of at the dealers being prepped for our pick up. Anyone going that can check for me? [emoji4]
Old 03-04-2022, 11:04 AM   #14
Site Team

For what it is worth, my 2017 was at the Pittsburgh RV show before I purchased it. Absolutely no issues with it long term due to it being a show display. However, the difference is that it was their stock unit and I had absolutely no money invested in it at the time.

Old 03-04-2022, 03:33 PM   #15

So it would appear I am just too suspicious.

I reached out to CRVA Canadian Recreational Vehicle Association. They produce the show and are there on site.

The contact called me back and said my unit is not there. That dealer only brought Roadtrek and Pleasureway units to the show.

Don't I look silly

Regards,

John
2019 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 03-04-2022, 03:48 PM   #16

Good to hear John. And no, not silly at all. You can’t be too trusting these days.
Old 03-04-2022, 04:14 PM   #17
Site Team

That is great news. One less thing to worry about.

Old 03-04-2022, 05:13 PM   #18

Wow, John! What a read. I hope it all turns out well for the Daw and you.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 06:46 PM   #19

Here’s our new Hawk we’re waiting for. [emoji4]
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1486.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	79439
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1487.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	79440
Old 03-05-2022, 09:39 AM   #20

Very nice layout.

We enjoyed our Hawk except for wardrobe being out of reach for the wife and hard to reach for me along with the shower being a bit small (24X36).

Yours and our new layout don't have those shortcomings.

Looks like full body paint too.

I hope you can finally get yours soon too.

Regards,

John
2019 Chevrolet Silverado