Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2022, 10:19 AM   #21

I have never had any issues on the road! If a road is blocked off it's always been well signed will in advance.

I have been not totally paying attention and missed my turn, and wish I could turn around. But have taken the long way.

Where I have had the most issues, is in gas stations. I try to plan which pump to use, so I can get out easily. I will wait for the right pump to open up. But I still have gotten into trouble with parked cars in their lots, blocking turning radius to get out.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:39 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I have never had any issues on the road! If a road is blocked off it's always been well signed will in advance.

I have been not totally paying attention and missed my turn, and wish I could turn around. But have taken the long way.
Our experience.... Most of the time, a detour is fairly well posted... but not always. We have had to back up more than a couple of times, each one was a different situation, but all of them were 'all of a sudden' and needed to react quickly.

One of those was a road closure in Idaho in the Sawtooth National Forest. No warning until we reached the flashing lights of the Police/sheriff. We had to back up about a quarter to half mile until we found a side road that we could back the trailer & Seneca down and turn the rig back the other way. We took it slow and steady, I got out and surveyed the side road before we backed into it.

An other time was at a Walmart in Texas. We made a left turn (at a light) into the Walmart entrance - only to find a "Low Clearance" sign going all across the entrance. We were taller than the sign/barrier and were forced to back up. There were cars stopped behind us and we had to back up into the intersection to get turned around. We clogged traffic on the road into Walmart and along the main road where the entrance was.
Attached Thumbnails
CaptureWalmartEntrance.JPG  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:20 PM   #23

Believe it or not, I learned to back my travel trailer up by watching YouTube videos. There are a ton of instructional videos that you can watch over and over. Of course, nothing beats actually getting behind the wheel and practicing. But if you've studied the basics first, practice becomes a lot easier.

I never want to be in the unfortunate position of having to back up long distances, but I feel confident that I can do it with minimum stress.
Old 09-24-2022, 12:39 PM   #24

There's a "learning curve" to everything we do. Everyone on this thread paniced when first challenged with the dreaded back-up for the first (and many) times. You have 2 options. Put that "For Sale" sign on yout TT, and deny yourself the many pleasures of ownership. OR: find a large parking lot with aisles and marked spaces and few cars (I used a funeral home lot - never busy), and practice, practice, practice. Orange cones can help. For the first several dozen tries, you'll fail. But then you'll see successes - building technique and confidence. And in no time you'll be helping other newbies.
DCWard47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 01:22 PM   #25

Couldn't pass this up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Part of owning and operating a vehicle that includes towing... includes being able to operating it in all circumstances...

Truck drivers do not get their licenses if they can not operate the vehicles both directions. Granted they do this for an occupation, but the same expectations apply for those who pull a trailer.

Take the time to practice, learn how to back up your vehicle. It will be a "Life Skill" that you will appreciate for the rest of your life - and lots of others around you will appreciate you for learning that skill...
Many years ago I worked for a large trucking company as a mechanic. We had drivers that were so bad at backing up the company finally forbid them to drive into or out of our shops for repairs. They had to stop outside and let a mechanic back their truck in or out. It was pretty funny, but it did save a lot of damage. In the driver's defense, we hauled liquids and they did not have to backup to load or unload. They just drove forward all the time.

As for backing up! Find a nice open area and get some orange cones and practice, practice, practice.
Old 09-24-2022, 01:40 PM   #26

Artificial Curb

All alone I once had to back a twin axle 32 footer about 100 yards down a single lane curbed entry because I missed a sign. I quickly learned to put my remote passenger side mirror to view the trailer wheels distance from the curb. I knew if I kept my wheels just close enough to the curb I could easily back the taller all the way.

Since then I bought an orange 3/16 line about 120 feet long. I use it to make an artificial curb where I want to back my trailer. I use it all the time to back into camp sites. I know if I keep close to the line a will not run into anything.

Just buy a long length or two and keep it in the trailer. Granted it would be slow going for a long distance, but it make backing blind easier.
Stmaplebury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 01:50 PM   #27

I like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmaplebury View Post
All alone I once had to back a twin axle 32 footer about 100 yards down a single lane curbed entry because I missed a sign. I quickly learned to put my remote passenger side mirror to view the trailer wheels distance from the curb. I knew if I kept my wheels just close enough to the curb I could easily back the taller all the way.

Since then I bought an orange 3/16 line about 120 feet long. I use it to make an artificial curb where I want to back my trailer. I use it all the time to back into camp sites. I know if I keep close to the line a will not run into anything.

Just buy a long length or two and keep it in the trailer. Granted it would be slow going for a long distance, but it make backing blind easier.
I'm a pretty good backer upper, but I've thought about trying something like that but just never have. I will give it a try. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2022, 03:09 PM   #28

1: Take a deep breath
2. Set both side mirrors so you can see the edge of the road. Make the view comfortable for you. You want to have a good feeling about what you can see on each side, so adjust accordingly.
3. Place steering hand at bottom center of steering wheel. Leave it there!
4. Look in mirrors.
5. Back slowly.
6. Make small corrections. Move your steering hand to the side (direction) you want the trailer to go. Basically the steering hand will simply move the steering wheel a small amount in the direction you want the trailer to go. If you go slow and make small corrections, backing up becomes easy!

7. If you correct to much, stop. Go forward to straighten. Then continue.

Note: the advice to practice in a parking lot is very valid!!!

I back a 2.5 ton sailboat on a 28foot trailer onto a 10 foot wide pad all the time. Mostly in one move. My TT is 1 foot longer. No problem. My wife stands there shaking her head...
I'm 75......if I can do it, you can too!
Take your time. You can do this....
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 03:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Practice in a mall parking lot to see if you are able to perform it.
I agree. If you are not a very capable backer get some cones and find an empty parking lot. Set up different arrangements and practice because one day one of those scenarios will happen and you want to be ready.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 06:13 PM   #30

I hope it never happens, but what if it does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmaplebury View Post

That’s an awesome idea. I consider myself fairly good at backing, but some campsites don’t offer much differentiation between the asphalt and gravel/pine needles etc. Making my own curb would really help.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 06:42 PM   #31

I got stuck on loose gravel in Colorado and basically slid back down the steep grade and around a corner with a rock wall on one side and a deep ditch on the other. I would release the brake, make any steering adjustments and slide some more. An audience made it worse.

Blindly following my GPS was the biggest mistake.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
I'm a pretty good backer upper, but I've thought about trying something like that but just never have. I will give it a try. Thanks!
If you typically carry a long orange or lime green exterior extension cord, that also works in a pinch. (Though I've never thought of using a temporary "curb" to back up, I think it's a great idea for those who need it. I used to be a landscape contractor and would use an old extension cord rather than a hose -- too "kinky" -- to lay out planting beds and walkways. I'd secure one end to my starting point and swing the other end if I wanted a curve, or pull it taut if straight. I'd then use marking paint right over the cord to preserve the desired lines.)
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:57 AM   #33

Can you back up 10 feet? Just back up 10 feet at a time, making sure you don't hit anything or run off the road, and keep doing it over and over until you get there.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:56 AM   #34

We were all, at one point, in the same position as you! Nobody's born with the ability to back up a towed anything! Period. Your apprehension of going in reverse is intimidating your ability to learn something we all have had to overcome. Take all this advice, along with your rig to the largest parking lot you've already scouted out ahead of time to get a time that the fewest vehicles are in it. Relax & practice. It won't ever work for you till you get an understanding of the basics, and learning what input of the steering wheel does to the trailer. Your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel trick works every time...provided the tv & tt are in a straight line before you start moving in reverse. Relax. Practice. Repeat. You WILL get it!
Old 09-25-2022, 10:20 AM   #35

With the wheel, what is to keep the trailer from getting away from you and rolling into the ditch or over a cliff that made you turn start backing up?
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 02:32 PM   #36

I too have a 154BH and it came with a wheel. I have to park on a slight hill so it doesn't work at home, however, it would work well on a flat surface.
Bippygma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 02:49 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
I got stuck on loose gravel in Colorado and basically slid back down the steep grade and around a corner with a rock wall on one side and a deep ditch on the other. I would release the brake, make any steering adjustments and slide some more. An audience made it worse.

Blindly following my GPS was the biggest mistake.
GPS is a great tool however way too many folks do follow it blindly. It's something that usually takes only one experience like yours to make someone realize the talking electronic box is not fool proof.

When I was still in law enforcement I handled a car carrier into a clearly marked low bridge - 10'9" accident. Driver drove 35 miles per hour with a 13 foot high load directly into the bridge destroying 3 cars on the top level of his trailer. When asked what happened, driver stated my GPS took me this way...
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 04:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayX3 View Post
I'll begin by confessing that I am "backing challenged." With enough time I could probably back my little Jayco 154BH, towed by my Toyota Sienna van, between the goal posts, but it would be a challenge. Last week, on the way to our CG, there was a detour--road closed ahead 1.5 miles. It was a typical Ohio county road, one lane each direction with deep ditches along the roadsides. There were almost no driveways. There were no convenience stores, church lots, etc. My question is this, what if we had not seen the detour and suddenly come upon that roadblock. What would a person do? It seems impossible to turn around on just 16' of blacktop (even for a pro back-up artist). It also seems nearly impossible to think that backing up the camper for a couple miles would be the answer. Calling for a flatbed tow truck to tow an unhitched trailer would require the driver to back a mile and a half to the camper; probably not an option. Assuming I don't die from a heart attack, what would be my method of conquering this dire problem?
I have a friend that uses an adjustable wrench to remove a screw. I found out he always has someone do everything for him his whole life his wife says. We went fishing this week and sitting in the passenger seat watching him back the boat into the water for 10 minutes, I asked if he wanted me to put it in the water, of course he said yes and I looked out the drivers window and had it 1 foot from the dock. My son said maybe he is a highly functioning autistic person. I think he is right. He can't put the lock on the boat trailer, he can't put the trailer on the hitch, it sits on top of the ball. I went to his home and he had a 2 5/16 ball for a 2 inch trailer. He made coffee at the cabin with 10 cups of water on the floor and 2 cups in the coffee pot, without coffee. He won't put a mirror on the driver's mirror and runs cars off the road because he doesn't see them. I think if you try you can back a trailer as far back as you need just try and take your time
Old 09-26-2022, 12:19 AM   #39

Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayX3 View Post
I'll begin by confessing that I am "backing challenged." With enough time I could probably back my little Jayco 154BH, towed by my Toyota Sienna van, between the goal posts, but it would be a challenge. Last week, on the way to our CG, there was a detour--road closed ahead 1.5 miles. It was a typical Ohio county road, one lane each direction with deep ditches along the roadsides. There were almost no driveways. There were no convenience stores, church lots, etc. My question is this, what if we had not seen the detour and suddenly come upon that roadblock. What would a person do? It seems impossible to turn around on just 16' of blacktop (even for a pro back-up artist). It also seems nearly impossible to think that backing up the camper for a couple miles would be the answer. Calling for a flatbed tow truck to tow an unhitched trailer would require the driver to back a mile and a half to the camper; probably not an option. Assuming I don't die from a heart attack, what would be my method of conquering this dire problem?
1.) Disconnect car from trailer
2.) Swing trailer around by hand
3.) Reconnect trailer on ball
4. Be on your way in oppisite direction
redley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 03:35 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by redley View Post
1.) Disconnect car from trailer
2.) Swing trailer around by hand
3.) Reconnect trailer on ball
4. Be on your way in oppisite direction
Great idea, but OP was not sure he could handle the weight of the trailer; mentioned in the beginning of the thread.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote