Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2017, 06:19 PM   #1

I really need your feedback

I'm a newbeeeee to the RV world and have been impressed with the Jayco Line but have been give some disturbing information regarding QUALITY. My wife and i are getting ready to retire and are interested in the Jayco Alante class A motor home..can anyone give me good or otherwise help in this purchase...should we look at a Winnebago instead...thanks for your assistance...
Jayco wanta-bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:45 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. I suggest you change your title to something that reflects your direct question. Great people on this forum will be happy to help. I have a Jayco Travel Trailer that we purchased last year and am impressed with the quality and response from questions to the factory.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:02 PM   #3

If I was changing RV class I would go out and look at everything within my budget. Check out various floor plans, look at whats standard and optional, and overall quality. Fall is a great time to look, lots of RV shows with good pricing, go out and have some fun looking.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:11 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum and happy RV shopping.

I don't know where you found the 'disturbing information regarding QUALITY' but be aware that folks that have a problem are often looking for a place to vent. If it's a Jayco product, many vent here.

For any brand, the vast majority of happy customers do not usually join forums and post about it. For those that do vent their problems, most issues are corrected under warranty but the 'venter' never comes back to post about that. The result is that search data can be skewed.

Many of us here realize that Jayco is not perfect, but do believe it offers the 'best bang for the buck.' There are many class A RVs out there to choose from. Do your research and look around.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Welcome to the forum and happy RV shopping.

Many of us here realize that Jayco is not perfect, but do believe it offers the 'best bang for the buck.' There are many class A RVs out there to choose from. Do your research and look around.
I agree with the statements above.

Just to add, not sure how many other RV manufacturers offer a 2 year warranty.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:55 PM   #6

Being a Newbeeeee as you said....are you sure you will love RVing ? You may want to rent a similar unit to what your looking at before you purchase. Some folks think they will love Rving only to be disappointed because it's not what they expected. Also, once you travel for a week or two you will better understand what you like and don't like about a particular RV. Your going to be spending a good amount of money, and I would think you would want to try it out before you plunk down your cash.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:53 AM   #7

Welcome.

We purchased a JayCo TT earlier this year and it was rough start during the initial shakedown trip. Our punch list items were minor compared to what others have posted here. Our dealership's service department did a great job in addressing each of the issues which were minor quality control items that should have been caught at the factory.
Overall we're quite happy with our JayCo product, now that everything has been taken care of.
Best of Luck to you with your decision.

NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:17 AM   #8

My 2 cents? With Winnie you're going to pay a lot more for features and comforts that you'd get natively w/ a Jayco. It just is what it is. Equal dollars spent, your Winnie will feel more rental grade then would your Jayco.

However - I really do believe nobody 'builds a better box' then Winnie. The wiring, assembly, etc. will be more in line with what you expect to buy when you spend this kind of money. In my experience with the one I owned and talking w/ others who own them, they're just built more uniform. If you call them w/ your VIN and ask them what's behind the wall 'x' feet off the main door between points 'y' and 'z', they'll tell you with confidence.

Jayco does pack an enormous amount of features into its rigs, but as often pointed out here you do run the risk of getting a problematic unit. Shoddy assembly, staples where screws should have been used, etc. They don't fall apart going down the road (well most don't - there have been some real head scratchers shared on this forum), but the old saying 'you get what you pay for' is almost always true.

Back to what I said earlier though, dollar for dollar you can't beat a Jayco on features and warranty length (though most use the 2 years to get them where it should have been on delivery). And you can't really hold a RV manufacturer truly accountable if Coleman runs a bad batch of AC units and yours happens to be one of them. But I'm confidant saying the assembly of all the parts will be better in the Winnie.

The one other big thing Winnie has going for it is they create a lot of their stuff. Most RV manufacturers are assemblers. For instance they will fit a 'x' gallon tank where it fits. Winnie will create the size they need for the fit they need. You don't see it when you're sitting at the dining table though. And if you spent equal dollars Jayco to Winnie, that dining table may not have the dream drop feature or the cushions may not be as nice. Step up in dollars and the features start to even out, and you still get the better assembly.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:43 AM   #9

No matter what you do, if you purchase a new RV, there WILL be at least one problem. There could be many problems, big or small. Just don't go into it thinking if you play your cards right you could get a perfect unit. I hope you get a good one that only has minor things to take care of under warranty.

That is a lot of money to put down on something you are new to. Make sure you know what you're getting into before dropping that kind of coin!

I have seen a lot of different makes and models and still believe that Jayco gives the best value for the dollar.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:03 AM   #10

Personally I have seen just as many issues with Winnies as with a Jayco or many other brands. A poster said "you get what you pay for". That dosnt mean $$$'s mean quality in many if not most cases. Honda generators are an example where $$ is worth it. Brands will like you to believe this matra to get you to jump on their product. Like others have said almost any RV will have a few issues but with a 2 year warrantee Jayco pretty much has you covered. I have a friend that has a $300k class A 45'bus that spent a total of 5 weeks at Tiffin in Alabama during its first 2 years. Everything from a faulty AC Heat pump unit to headlights that shorted out and caught fire.

If you're new to RVing, RENT a MH for a week or 2 and take a road trip. Make sure this is for you before laying down the bucks. You may find that renting 1 time a year works out for you and a much better cost over purchase [taxes, registration, maintance, and storage]. Listen to folks on the forum and ask specific questions if you have them. Don't listen to malcontents just venting anger over something that can be fixed quickly in many cases as a DIY fix.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:13 AM   #11

Hi and welcome!

We're on our 4th Jayco (5 counting a Starcraft). There is a common theme in the RV industry... get em out the door as fast as they can.

Jayco make a good solid unit, however, like most manufacturers, Quality Control has slipped. Stuff gets out the door that shouldn't! But... Jayco offers a two year warranty to make it right.

Have you taken the Jayco Factory tour? That's one of the things that helped us make up our mind about what to buy.

We've had a Starcraft Galaxy Pop-up, a Jayco 25rks trailer, a Jayco Redhawk 23xm class C, a Jayco Redhawk 26xk class C, and a Jayco Alante 31v class A.

Good luck and happy/safe camping with whatever you choose!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:16 AM   #12

Quality

Noticed a few RV dealerships in Phoenix advertising Life Time Warranty. Whats up with that, two years was enough for me!
Attached Thumbnails
5.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:46 AM   #13

Warranty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Noticed a few RV dealerships in Phoenix advertising Life Time Warranty. Whats up with that, two years was enough for me!
I believe that warranty is only good at that dealership. Some car dealerships do the same thing... bit different with RV's, as were often a long way from where we bought the unit, when there is a problem.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Read the fine print its a big waste of money. You have to take your TT in for yearly inspections at the dealer, of course you have to pay for these inspections and they don't come cheap. Way to many fish hooks in these warranties.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:41 AM   #15

We're picking up our third Jayco today. While looking for this unit we looked at several other brands and kept coming back to the Jayco, primarily for the fit and finish.

As others have noted, initial quality appears to have affected all manufacturers, so you're likely to have minor issues no matter what you go with.

The dealer is key in all of this, and I'd recommend doing a lot of research on the dealer, and particularly their service department, before the purchase. Our dealer has been great and there have never been any questions asked about warranty work.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Read the fine print its a big waste of money. You have to take your TT in for yearly inspections at the dealer, of course you have to pay for these inspections and they don't come cheap. Way to many fish hooks in these warranties.
That's the same deal on AC units for regular homes. If you miss one annual inspection your sol! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote