Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2018, 10:07 PM   #21

Easier to buy resin table for $20
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:17 PM   #22

There are 3 strips of wood approximately 2x2 attached to the storage bins under the dinette. The table top rests on those supports. The table does not allow for the base to touch the floor when stowed and made into a bed, the base/leg assembly hangs down to a few inches from the floor of the trailer and takes up a good bit of usable storage space. With the table I'm going to build, the legs will fold up to just a few inches from the bottom of the table, thus allowing for that space to be used for storing small items such as sleeping bags or such. Sometime next weekend or so I'll take pics of the existing table and the replacement I'm building.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
Easier to buy resin table for $20
Have one. We took it with us on our maiden trip. Unfortunately, it does not fit to make the dinette into a bed. I like that option to use as storage place for camp chairs when enroute. The table that came with the trailer, is just too heavy to be moving around or in and out of the trailer. Plus its particle board and would not hot up long term. I'm going to use 3/4 inch cabinet hardwood plywood, and after staining it, I'm going to polyurethane seal it. It will be lighter, stronger and more durable than the one Jayco put in from the factory.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:52 AM   #24

Good quality Plywood makes it simpler to make and strong. Not as strong as tongue and groove, but also not as heavy. And, no gluing of the planks together...then sanding..and sanding...and sanding. Go with the plywood.
The relief corner is there to assist the ease of getting in and out of the dinette area seating.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:03 PM   #25

I've been thinking the 3/4 inch plywood might tend to flex when made into a a bunk. As such, I've been considering adding 2 pieces of 1 inch aluminum angle iron mounted to the bottom of the table outside the leg mounts and edges rounded. The leg mounts and angle can be secured with #8 or #10 half inch wood screws. Wouldn't add much weight but I believe it would add significant strength to the table top. I received the legs in the mail yesterday and I'm going to Home Depot and Lowes this Saturday. Hopefully I'll have this project completed by next weekend.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:49 AM   #26

Work in progress. My neighbor who does contracting carpentry helped me cut the table top. I have the new folding legs, and all the other necessary materials. I bought 2 pieces of angle aluminum to use to strengthen the top but when we removed the leg assembly from the original table I discovered jayco had added 2 metal channel pieces to the bottom to add strength. I think when I get that far, I'm going to re-use those. Been too dang hot and smoky here to be out in the shop working on this project after work this past week. Hope to get on it this week.