Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2018, 11:50 PM   #1

I screwed up.....

My brand new X23B table. I was in the trailer this evening after work to load a few things to get ready to go on Thursday. I had the table lowered and configured as a bed. I went to open the front port side window and knelt on the cushion. Next thing I knew I heard a pop and the cushion I was kneeling on had dropped a few inches. Lifted up the cushion and the edge of the table that was on the lip had slipped down and bent the edge of the table top. I was too mad at myself to do anything other than put it back on the lip and replace the cushions. I have no idea how bad it is, if I can repair it, or if I'm going to need to replace the table top. Anyone have any idea how much a new table top is?
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:42 AM   #2

The table in mine is heavy, cheap, chipboard. I would replace it with 5/8 plywood and move the hardware. If you get plywood with a nice finish on top, a good stain and transfer the hardware you will be better off.

You can even get a metal or wood trim for the exposed edge.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #3

Use this as a chance to make it unique and custom. Use the old one as a pattern and make your own. If you don’t have the skills find someone who does. A factory top will be much more than you can build one for. Cut the new top, transfer hardware to new top, presto you have a cool new table!
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:11 AM   #4

We put our table outside. I hate that new style set of legs. It's a disaster waiting to happen. Plus the legs made it hard to take outside. I put an old style set of legs on.

A few months after we bought our X20E we were away from the trailer and there was a massive storm. Something like 3/4 inch of rain. The edge of the table swelled up like a badly stubbed toe. I had a guy I worked with at the time, who had a wood shop above his garage, make me a new table top of cedar planks. It's about 1/3 the weight of the original table, far sturdier, and it's waterproof. Not to mention it looks great.

DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:25 AM   #5

When I bought my 29BHS used a few years ago the table was heavily damaged on one edge with the plastic trim strip ripped out. Instead of replacing it I did what several are suggesting and made a new table from 5/8" furniture grade plywood and just transfered the hardware over. To make the edge look more finished I got some iron on wood-toned edge strip. It has been in use for over 2 years and I'm still very happy with it. The only issue is a dent in the middle of it from the DVD/Surround reciever falling from the shelf above on a rough road, which is a story for another day (but the reciever still works!).

Click image for larger version

Name:	user40240_pic6680_1470758794.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	42086
Old 07-18-2018, 11:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
We put our table outside. I hate that new style set of legs. It's a disaster waiting to happen. Plus the legs made it hard to take outside. I put an old style set of legs on.

A few months after we bought our X20E we were away from the trailer and there was a massive storm. Something like 3/4 inch of rain. The edge of the table swelled up like a badly stubbed toe. I had a guy I worked with at the time, who had a wood shop above his garage, make me a new table top of cedar planks. It's about 1/3 the weight of the original table, far sturdier, and it's waterproof. Not to mention it looks great.

This!!
Old 07-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwindone View Post
When I bought my 29BHS used a few years ago the table was heavily damaged on one edge with the plastic trim strip ripped out. Instead of replacing it I did what several are suggesting and made a new table from 5/8" furniture grade plywood and just transfered the hardware over. To make the edge look more finished I got some iron on wood-toned edge strip. It has been in use for over 2 years and I'm still very happy with it. The only issue is a dent in the middle of it from the DVD/Surround reciever falling from the shelf above on a rough road, which is a story for another day (but the reciever still works!).

Attachment 42086
Ok, you guys are making want to just go ahead and do it too
Old 07-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #8

I agree, make one! Then post pics!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #9

X2, to making a new top if it is not repairable. That particle board is VERY HEAVY, nice Baltic Birch plywood would look nice and is not as heavy, fyi Baltic Birch ply is $$$. But a nice table made of planks, will look really nice, and a LOT lighter. Just remember to joint the edges to get a perfect seam.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:53 PM   #10

I was looking at Home Depot online today and they have 3/4 inch thick x 4 inch yellow pine tongue and groove wood, 96 inch length for about $11/board. I'm thinking after our maiden trip to get a few of these, rip 2 down to remove the tongue from one side and the groove from another to use as the outside pieces, cut them to length, and make the table top a rectangle instead of the one corner cut off, glue the piece together, and screw cross braces into the bottom, for rigidity, and transfer the hardware. Use 1/4 round for edge trim, some dark stain and polyurethane sealant as a top coat. I can do this. Might have to get a buddy with a table saw to do some of the rip cuts for me. I used to fix jet engines, I can handle some simple carpentry. I hope.

I'll see whats what when we get home from our maiden trip this weekend. I'll post pics of before and after when I get it done. Momma is going out of town on a business trip next week, Might have to see if I can surprise her when she gets back.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:13 AM   #11

If you make it a rectangle remember to remove the guide where the table sits when it's flat for use as a bed.

And post photos when you are done!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:10 PM   #12

Anyone have ANY clue as to why the one corner of the table top is cut off at an angle? I'm considering my options at this point. Weighing tongue and groove against good quality plywood. Looking at the table top when stowed today as I was packing up, it seems the locating pin for the cut off corner is a shade to close and forces that end of the table away from the lip is sits on. And the dang thing is HEAVY! Too heavy to be carrying in and out of the trailer. We bought a small folding table to use while cooking out doors, the Jayco table was in our way constantly. I must have smacked my shins in that thing half a dozen times. I am going to build one, with the old style folding legs, that I can carry outside for use and free up the floor plan. Did I mention we camp with two large dogs? A Shepard mix and Lab mix, both of which weigh in excess of 75 pounds. I need the floor space!
Old 07-22-2018, 04:18 PM   #13

Makes it easier to get in by the couch.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:49 PM   #14

If the couch is out, you have plenty of room. If not the table can be moved.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:25 PM   #15

OK I've decided on a material. I'm going with hardwood plywood. I measured the existing table top at 50"x 27". I'm going with 3/4 inch, Red Oak from Home Depot for about $53 for a 4x8 foot sheet. I can order the old style folding legs online for about $20. I've decided to use those legs as when completely folded, it will allow for more storage under the table. With the legs on the existing table they hang down so much you lose a lot of space to them. For edging, I plan on using quarter round. Home Depot has 3/4 inch quarter round in Red Oak for about $7 per 94 inch piece. I'll need two pieces. That way everything matches. Once I get it assembled, I going to stain it a darker color to match the existing table and applying a polyurethane seal coat. For under $100 I can have a custom built table that will be functional and good looking. Before I buy from Home Depot, I want to check with my local building supply company and see what pricing they can give me on the same materials. I'll keep ya'll posted!
Old 07-24-2018, 09:09 AM   #16

You might like this product to finish the edge of the plywood. I used it years ago and it really lasts

Item # 16545 Model # 34210

(Actual: 0.75-in x 6-in x 25-ft) Natural Wood Red Oak Veneer Edging

After applying the veneer let it set up well and gently sand it to round the top and bottom edges. Do not over sand the edge. Practice on the hinge side.

Finish the table and edge with either polyurethane or a waterproof spar varnish.

Should last many years! We used this for commercial music cabinets. I made drawers and edged them over 30 years ago and they are still like new.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:41 PM   #17

Good luck on your project. The dining table is the first modification I make to any RV we buy. We do not use the dinnette for sleeping or storage so the table is made a bit oversize. I choose a stain to match the other 'wood' finishes in the trailer.

I like to use solid wood and join it together. Then put a cross piece underneath for strength.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
You might like this product to finish the edge of the plywood. I used it years ago and it really lasts

Item # 16545 Model # 34210

(Actual: 0.75-in x 6-in x 25-ft) Natural Wood Red Oak Veneer Edging
I think I found what your talking about at Lowes.

I was talking to a friend this afternoon and he pointed put something I hadn't considered before. If I use quarter round for my border, when I drop the table to make it into a bunk, that quarter round, held in place with only glue and some small wire brads, may not be strong enough to hold the weight and I'll be in the same position I'm in now.

I think I need to reconsider my design.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:34 PM   #19

I recommended the wood tape. It is really durable if applied correctly to the edge of plywood.
Make sure the edge is clean and dust free. Smooth round bends are fine. If you have a square corner Do one side Trim the tape and apply the other side. Roll or press it on firmly.

Use a VERY HOT iron. Press in one direction to get out any bubbles and make the tape stick. Watch that you don't scorch the tape. The adhesive is heat activated and really stuck on there. Let cool and set 24 hours. The gently sand off the edge so there is nothing left to catch on and start it peeling.

Paint, varnish, urethane, stain or whatever you want to make sure there is no way for water to get under the edge.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:20 PM   #20

Don't know how your table is supported. Mine has two posts. If I wanted to use it as a bed I'd make two short posts to support the center of the table when lowered.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote