Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #1

If you must go downtown...

Hi, I'm a newbie, I didn't buy my TT to visit the city but I was wondering how one deals with the following scenario: You are on the road, approach a big city and want or have to spend the afternoon there to maybe visit a restaurant, shop or family member. Do you find a city lot and pull through, pay for 2 spaces, take up 2 parking meters or can you find somewhere like a KOA in the burbs and unhitch (hourly storage rate?) then drive downtown. Do you trust your TT to be unmolested at either?
Any strategies would be appreciated.
Thanks

redcedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #2

We live in the big city. if we must stop at a mall or a restaurant, I plan to walk a little bit. I park in the back 40, pretty much in the over flow parking areas. I have never parked at a parking meter. If I did, I guess I would be required to pay for all slots used, but that is just a guess. Most big cities have surface lots that you can park in, that will accommodate busses and the like, I bet they will just charge you a bit more than if you were a small car. If you are planning to visit some place in particular, you could call ahead and ask for recommendations.

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #3

Another suggestion is to see if they have a tourism center or visitor welcome center. You might be able to park there for the day.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #4

Never do the parking meter or the pay parking lots... I park in a shopping mall, take 2 space far from the crowd, or close to a main road...or again I find a spot somewhere I can park on the side of the street with no parking meters!
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #5

Check the local Wal-Marts, Sam's Clubs etc. I have done the shopping mall myself.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #6

If I was approaching a big city and was going to stop to sight-see, I'd likely stop at the nearest KOA or other campground on the road, unhitch, and tour the town. Then spend the night at the campground, and continue with my trip the next day.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #7

It really depends on how big is your rig. We are 65 feet hooked up so we plan our trips around campgrounds.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvangil View Post
If I was approaching a big city and was going to stop to sight-see, I'd likely stop at the nearest KOA or other campground on the road, unhitch, and tour the town. Then spend the night at the campground, and continue with my trip the next day.
X2 - we've done this a few times this season
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #9

Years ago my in-laws were passing through St. Augustine Florida on a Sunday afternoon and wanted to stop to eat. There were no other cars parked on the Street and they couldn't find anywhere else to park, so they parked on the street taking up 3 metered spaces. They put coins in all three meters. When they came back they had a ticket with a hefty fine on their TV.

John
Hensley Cub WDH, Tekonsha Primus IQ
perfpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

I just parked all day in Manhattan with a 72' rig for free. I found the truck waiting line for the convention center. It was 10 blocks long and wrapped around the corner. There were several other RVs in line as well. It seems that convention centers have people coming in and going out all the time loading and unloading so they have put aside a place for them to park to get in and out. Many of the trucks had been waiting for days so no one said a word to me and I saw many NYPD during the day. FYI, this waiting line was on 12th avenue at 34th st. at the Jacob Javits Convention Center which is right at the end of the Lincoln Tunnel.

wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote