Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2016, 09:31 PM   #1

If you want something done right...

Do it yourself! Or at least be around to supervise. I'm so aggrevated right now I could chew nails.

Long story short, my brother in law was coming down for a visit and asked if he paid to have a 30 amp plug put in at the house if he could stay in my camper while he was here for a week. I was out of town but my wife was here so I agreed. Who wouldn't be happy with a free outlet installed? He has an electrician friend here local that came and did the work...one time during the week he was here the breaker in the house for the plug tripped and I wasn't told until later.

I got home and can you guess what I found? His "electrician" friend had put in a regular 20 amp household style outlet, a 20 amp breaker, and had one of those little puck style adapters that let the 30 amp plug go into a 20 amp outlet! Also, when he cut a hole in the drywall to install the outlet box he didn't use one of the plastic ones with the tabs that fold out and hold it tight in the wall...like you are supposed to...he used a metal box designed for conduit and the only thing holding it in the wall was the wires running through the wall! When I tried to unplug the cord I had to hold the box into the wall so I didn't pull it out! What!?! It's a wonder that thing didn't melt and burn my house down or destroy my A/C running the whole trailer in 100 degree weather for a week.

I just finished changing the breaker out to a 30 amp and swapping the correct outlet box and plug in. The only thing he did that I didn't replace was the 4' of wire he ran from the breaker box to where the plug is at in the garage.

I'm just in awe of how horrible of a job he did!

CallMeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:12 PM   #2

Be thankful that this "electrician" didn't install a 30a, 220v outlet, and fry your 110v system! There's been multiple reports of that over the years on various RV forums.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:26 PM   #3

Ouch, that really would have sucked!
Old 08-28-2016, 11:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeChris View Post
Do it yourself! Or at least be around to supervise. I'm so aggrevated right now I could chew nails.

I just finished changing the breaker out to a 30 amp and swapping the correct outlet box and plug in. The only thing he did that I didn't replace was the 4' of wire he ran from the breaker box to where the plug is at in the garage.

I'm just in awe of how horrible of a job he did!
Wow, so he ran #10 wire but only put in a 20 amp breaker and std outlet. You can add hangers on both sides of the box to attach it to the drywall.. As said, be happy he didn't put in a 220 line. Unless the electrician is familiar with RV's it's easy to do.

Good luck...
Old 08-29-2016, 01:33 AM   #5

Make sure he put in large enough gauge wire to support 30 amps.... Hate to see you have electrical fire.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:32 AM   #6
Site Team

When we did mine, I had a licensed electrician, who is a close friend come over and do the electrical work. I dug the trench and had the conduit on hand.

I learned from watching.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:35 AM   #7

That's exactly why I do all my own work! I agree with your post title 100%. There are way too many folks out there that pass themselves off as electricians, plumbers, carpenters, etc. etc. etc. Glad you got home in time to fix it before any major damage was done.
2016 Jayco 28BHBE - Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Marcm157 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpoppe View Post
Make sure he put in large enough gauge wire to support 30 amps.... Hate to see you have electrical fire.

It's 10 gauge. 👍
CallMeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #9

This is just another example of why no one works on my house unless I am there. Mostly I do the work myself.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #10

I like to do my own work, so I know it is done right, even thought I know, I don't know everything about everything. Regarding to construction, usually those items are far and few now.

sounds like it was not hard to get it fixed right.

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote