Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2018, 08:41 PM   #1

I'm a newby

My wife and I just purchased our first TT. It's a 2005 Jayco Jay feather 19H. It's very clean and well maintained. One very small bad place in the floor just inside the cargo door where apparently it had leaked. I have a new door on order. We had all the tires replaced and the spare too. This trailer as far as I can tell comes equipped with electric brakes. I'm pulling the camper with a 2010 Silverado 1500. The first ? I have....
In order to operate the TT brakes do I just install a brake adapter that mounts under the dash? Does this automatically make my brakes work on the TT? Any other opinions, comments or suggestions about this camper are very welcome. Also, I'm going to upgrade the toilet. When I order a new one do they come ready to hook up or do I need to purchase anything else? Thnx...
Kholloway1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:20 PM   #2

First, welcome from another newbie...kinda. Second, while you have the wheels off, check mechanical condition of brakes. They are the second most important part of the trailer (outside the hitch) and at 13 years old, may need attention. Cheap insurance. Second, check the breakaway device (on the trailer end of the stranded safety cable) and make sure when the pin is out, the brakes set on the trailer.

To answer your question, yes, sort of. A good shop will install a trailer brake controller dash to hitch for about $85, unless you are pre-equipped with trailer package. If your tow vehicle is prepped, it may only cost you the expense of the controller. If you don't already have a 7 pin round connector, that is a must. I followed a character dragging his Jayflight SLX 195 behind an older Nissan hardbody hooked up to a flat 4 connector through an adapter. Brakes were dragging as he pulled it and I talked to him, he said he was only going to Burleson (from I-35W @ Tx114) and it didn't matter...it does.

So to answer your question, yes, you need a brake controller to have operating trailer brakes. And make sure gain is set up to apply enough brake to slow you down, not slide those brand new tires...
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:25 PM   #3

Thank you, That's good info and I will have those brakes inspected. The previous owner was the second owner and he said he never used the brakes. I do have the appropriate trailer elec connection. Just wasn't sure about how the brakes work.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:16 PM   #4

I also would have the bearings checked, at least minimally for proper packing (grease). I put Timkens on my trailer even though the trailer was less than a few months old. Too many stories about factory bearings failing.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:21 PM   #5

Thnx! That is one thing I've planned on doing my self. Was just watching a video on how to properly Jack up my TT.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:24 PM   #6

Make sure that when you jack it up, you have chocked the wheels on the other side. In addition, watch your tongue jack; if you go too high you will lose contact with the gound and the only thing stopping your TT from moving will be the wheel chocks.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
Old 05-27-2018, 10:26 PM   #7

Thnx! Good advice.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:28 PM   #8

Do you know anything about replacing or upgrading the toilet? I want to upgrade ours and wanted to know if the toilet comes with all I need to install ?
Old 05-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #9

I have a construction background but have never changed an RV toilet. That being said, is should not be difficult. Here is a link that shows you how to do so. YouTube is a great place to view videos of things you need to learn, but also be careful, there is some inaccurate information. This toilet video looks good and I would use it for guidance.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:06 AM   #10

Thnx. Took the old one out this am. Good thing I planned on upgrading because this one had a leaky valve. I also turned the water on this am to make sure I had no leaks. That didn't go as planned, the hot water heater/ tank is leaking. Was hoping there was a valve or something that was left open but I guess it's just bad. Maybe water left in it over the winter I don't know. The man I bought it from said it was in an underground storage facility but who really knows right...
Old 05-28-2018, 11:39 AM   #11

If previous owner(s) have not changed anode rod, the tank has rusted. I have some camping buds who left water in their TT while stored, hot water tank survived, the fresh water tank and some plumbing did not. Where it it leaking from?
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote