Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #1

Importance of dealer location?

So we are finally about ready to pull the trigger on a new Jayco, but who to go with is the question. Local dealer 10 min away will not budge on price. Dealer 2hrs away is almost 2k less on same model with extra options. I'm sure at some point we will need a little warranty work done, so how would you folks weigh the importance of dealer proximity.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:44 AM   #2

Just my $.02...the dealership/service is everything in the RV experience. You are bound to have warranty issues and the service you get from your dealership will directly influence your love of your rig. As far as price is concerned, I was willing to travel to MS and TX for the best price. In the end I found the best price in a dealership two hours away from me and I found a service place about 45 minutes away. Perfectly satisfied with this set up...we will see how it goes.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #3

How willing are you to travel two hours for warranty work? Selling dealer will more than likely give better service than a non selling dealer. All Jayco dealers are supposed to honor warranty work, but that doesn't mean they can't keep pushing your requirements to the back burner while they take care of their own sales customers. For $2,000, I think I would be willing to travel a little bit. Besides, what can go wrong with a brand new unit? ( I'm sorry, that was sarcasm!)

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #4

I have no problem traveling the 2hrs. And that dealer is one of the largest in the state where my local guy has maybe 20 total units on the lot. Local guy has done a good job on repairs for our current coleman pup. But when I asked what I was getting for their price she told me all the options and then said our warranty work would be covered. I took that as if you buy elsewhere we won't service your warranty which kind of pissed me off. I figured Monday I'll call local and tell them if they match other guy we have a deal if not. .... not sure. Both places will have to order.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #5

I just had a very similar situation - first firm price from local dealer was $21K for the new unit (2015) and $8K for the trade. Dealer 2 hrs away was $20K for a 2014 and 8,500 for my trade. I have a pretty good rapport with the local dealer and he didn't want to lose my business so he lowered his "firm" price on the 2015 down to $20K, same price for the trade. I was willing to sacrifice $500 to stay close to home for potential warranty work. Maybe your local guy will meet you halfway with the price - can't hurt to explain the situation to get a better price.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #6

It's important to note RV dealers are not franchises the way new car dealers are. This is an important distinction because car dealers are required honor warranty regardless of selling dealer, RV dealerships aren't required too. That said many do, might not give the same priority to those who didn't purchase from them.

I might call you local dealers service department, pretend you have an in warranty unit bought else where and see what they say. Maybe the simple won't do the work, or will require you to pay our of pocket and deal with reimbursement directly on your own.

None of this would prevent me from traveling two hours. The warranty is only 2 years, and with 2 JayFlights as my experience I have had very few problems.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdanmc View Post
I just had a very similar situation - first firm price from local dealer was $21K for the new unit (2015) and $8K for the trade. Dealer 2 hrs away was $20K for a 2014 and 8,500 for my trade. I have a pretty good rapport with the local dealer and he didn't want to lose my business so he lowered his "firm" price on the 2015 down to $20K, same price for the trade. I was willing to sacrifice $500 to stay close to home for potential warranty work. Maybe your local guy will meet you halfway with the price - can't hurt to explain the situation to get a better price.
If local would come down just bit and include the options the other guy will. ... then it would be a done deal. Was your situation on the 23f in your sig? That's what we will be gettting.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #8

Our "local" dealer is an hour away. Camping World is also an hour away. I got my price off the internet as the best deal I could make with the options I wanted. I then took it in to the local dealer and Camping World and said if they would match it I would buy from them. My local dealer matched it and is taking care of any warranty work I have. They all print their own MSRP decals and have quite a bit to play with. I have never bought a new travel trailer unless it was almost 30% off their listed price.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:09 PM   #9

northstar - yes that's the situation in my sig..
Old 07-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #10

or look at it from this perspective - how often can you make $2,000 in 4 hours, which is essentially what you would be doing.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdanmc View Post
or look at it from this perspective - how often can you make $2,000 in 4 hours, which is essentially what you would be doing.
Good point.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #12

Here's what i'd do. Before you buy, visit the local dealer and ask how your request for warranty work would be handled if your unit is purchased elsewhere. If it's a larger dealer you may want to talk to the service manager and not sales people. (Been through this.)

If the reply is not satisfactory I would e-mail Jayco and indicate you are considering buying a Jayco but you are hesitant due to potential issues with warranty service locally if you don't buy there. Jayco will probably tell you you should buy locally, but Jayco will not be willing to rebate you the difference, so .... what they might do is commit to you finding a local shop to do your warranty work if your local dealer will not treat you as a regular customer.... get it in an email.

cheers
kiwaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #13

I saved over $4,000 by driving 2 hours for a new TT.
tnmcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #14

Buy from local dealer you wont be sorry you did.
Rotocleaner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #15

I'd love to. But if they can't do better than 20% off msrp then they willbe making the decision for me.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #16

Importance of dealer location?

Real story: Purchased a 2014 this Spring. I received substantial savings from purchasing off the lot from a popular large multi location discount recreational vehicle dealer, vs my dealer 20 minutes from here. The local dealer was substantially more $. The discount dealer is 2.5 hours from here. The local dealer refuses services work stating the rate Jayco reimburses is substantially lower than going rate local to New England, thus he loses money on warranty work. Well, I've had the discount dealer bend my landing gear in transport prior to delivery, damaged my RV installing a 2nd air conditioner then walked away until I found it months later, that still didn't work, didn't install the gasket in the water filter (surprise when I charged city water to it) and I've got a list of other discrepancies waiting for Fall, because, if I bring it now, I might see it in October, and at this point I don't trust them to change a light bulb. So that leaves me in a bad place. I'm actually considering a trip to the factory in Indiana, or paying transport this Fall. I wish I could do it all over again. Negotiate with them, get what you can get, and the money will pay for itself in the long run.
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #17

That's really unfortunate, but to think that is the norm and not the exception I believe would inaccurate. Not saying it couldn't happen. I fully expect my local to tell me they won't do warranty service if I buy elsewhere. Maybe that's the norm. But in my opinion any dealer that tries leveraging warranty work to get a sale is shady and I'd rather buy from someone who makes sales by offering competitive pricing and good service. ..no bs.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #18

OK, if you are a buy local kind of guy then by all means do what you're comfortable with. In the RV world, my experience is that dealers are all about selling you something and after that they would love to never see you again. If you bought it at their lot, they have no choice but "good" warranty service is the exception rather than the rule. And I have to disagree with another poster that said dealers don't have to honor a manufacturers warrenty if they didn't sell the unit. If they are a Jayco dealer, they are required to service a Jayco under warrantee. A quick call to Jayco will get a quick call to the dealer to straighten out the situation. They don't have to put you at the top of the list so the wait can be long if you bought the unit elsewhere.

Here's the real world, where are you going to be when something breaks? If it can wait until you get home its one thing, but if the AC goes out on your trip to Arizona its another story. I buy where I can get the best price but am willing to spend up to an extra $1K to stay local. Otherwise I'll go for the best price.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #19

I called Jayco and asked what they can do for getting local service from the guy who refuses. The rep said they are not franchised and there is nothing I can do. Suggestions? Sad fact is if they force the local dealers hand and they lose money (so they say) on the repair time, what kind of quality service will I receive? Just thoughts going through my noggin as I deal with this. Seriously, anybody who has gotten Jay to get a local to service their product, lead me in the right direction. Sorry for taking this off track a bit guys. Happy travels.
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
OK And I have to disagree with another poster that said dealers don't have to honor a manufacturers warrenty if they didn't sell the unit. If they are a Jayco dealer, they are required to service a Jayco under warrantee. A quick call to Jayco will get a quick call to the dealer to straighten out the situation.
I wish you were right, but unfortunately you are not. I called Jayco, they told me that dealers who sell there products are just that -- they are NOT Jayco dealers. As such the dealers have no requirement to provide warranty work.

My selling dealer, out of town, and the local dealer both said they will no longer do warranty work on units they didn't sell, for any brand, because they lose money or at least don't make as much as non warranty work.

In my case I took my chances, bought out of town, had a couple very minor repairs that I waited till winter and took it back to my selling dealer. It was 300 miles round trip, probably cost me $250 in diesel and ~8 hrs of time for the drop off and pick up. If I had to take it back more than a couple times the savings would have easily been eaten up.

My second purchase was private party used, no concern with warranty on this one.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote