Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2019, 07:39 PM   #1

Increasing size of exterior storage compartment door

On our 2019 Jay Flight 31QBDS, there is a tiny compartment door that goes to a massive storage area under larger of the two bottom bunks. The smaller camp side bottom bunk has the outdoor kitchen under it with the small fridge and pull out drawer with sink / stove.

If your not familiar with this model it has the front bunk room with 4 bunks and the queen bed in the rear bedroom with a slide. So far loving the unit, but the storage area under the queen bed is not as deep as it was under the queen bed in our Jay Flight 28BHS and I’m struggling to figure out where to put the larger things like the portable grill, totes, etc.

I can access the storage under the larger bottom bunk from the inside but it has 2X’s going across the width of the bunk for supports about every 16” or so. So it’s not very convenient to put things in there from the inside or outside.

Soooooo...... I was curious if anyone has ever taken out a storage compartment door, cut the opening larger and and replaced with larger compartment door? I was thinking about using the same size door that is on the outdoor kitchen on the opposite side of the unit. I haven’t really had a good chance to look at it in any great detail yet, but from what I can see behind the paneling under the bunk, it does appear that the opening may be framed out, not quite sure.

We have the Fiberglass siding option. Not sure how the Fiberglass siding is connected to the wall studs?

I don’t understand why Jayco would put such a small access to such a large storage area. Is there some sort of structural concern?

I may request some wall drawings from Jayco so I can see where the studs are in this unit. If someone happens to have them, it would be greatly appreciated if you wouldn’t mind sharing.

Below are the pictures of the tiny storage compartment door and outdoor kitchen door under the front bunks.

I would love to hear some feedback on this kind of “mod” and especially some details of the Fiberglass wall construction. If someone has done this before and has experience they would like to share or pictures, it would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!!

Cheers [emoji482]

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8006.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	52606

Name:	IMG_8007.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	52607

Name:	IMG_7537.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	52608
2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:01 PM   #2

I would not "mod" the door at all, just find some plastic totes that will fit thru the small pass thru door and that's where those items go, like BT hoses, water hoses, etc. Get some larger totes that will fit thru the other side/larger door and that's where those go. Use the same size totes all the way thru, get a broom stick and put a hook on the end to be able to pull the totes out the larger door.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #3

It wouldn't be too difficult to do but depending on how the wall is made there could be a stud in the way and cutting into one without sufficient bracing could be a bad thing.
You'd have to find the actual door, surround and trim before doing any cutting to make sure the hole was the correct size.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:31 PM   #4

Thank you both for your responses!

I did some quick measurements and the storage area under the larger bottom bunk is about 38” wide by 21-1/2” high by over 7 feet long including the radius of the front of the camper. The exterior door opening to this large storage area is only 8-3/4” tall by 28-5/8” long...

In comparison, the opening on the opposite side of the unit for the outdoor kitchen is 60-3/4” long by 20-3/4” high.

I can make it work with shorter / smaller totes for the landing gear and stuff, but the biggest issue I have is my portable grill. It will not fit in any of the storage area doors. It will not fit under the queen bed in this 31QBDS. It used all of the height of the pass through door under the queen in our 2018 28BHS, I don’t recall the size of the pass through doors in the 28BHS. It is a Cuisinart roll away grill that folds down for storage, see pic below. It is approximately 17” high x 45” long x 21” wide when folded down. I really don’t want to store it in the main areas of the unit as I am in and out of the camper regularly when it is parked in the driveway at home.

The storage door opening under the queen bed in the rear slide is 30-5/8” long by 12-5/8” high and the height of the storage area under the queen bed is about 15” deep.

I guess another option would be to look for a different portable grill but this one is only a few years old and in good shape still.

Name:	IMG_8315.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	52768
2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote