Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2022, 10:33 AM   #1

Independent RV Inspection

We ordered a new 2022 Jayco Seneca Prestige in September and it's ready to be picked up. When I contacted the dealership to schedule a time for an independent inspection, they informed me that I would have to pay for one of their technicians to sit in on the independent inspection - at a rate of $175/hour. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? The independent inspector I am using said it's been happening more and more recently. Any advice on how to proceed?
Born to Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 11:24 AM   #2

Play the game. Schedule the inspector along with you and tell the dealer it's your uncle. They don't need to know. Good idea to have an inspection with the current quality issues, I'm on 34 warranty claims on my 5th wheel, I surely hope yours is way less.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 01:16 PM   #3

This is where you need to read your purchase agreement closely to see what your rights are. Also check with your state regarding right to refusal on a contract to purchase a major item. Most states allow at least 3 days to change your mind on major purchases. The dealer may not be willing to risk the sale for the $175 technician fee.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:55 AM   #4

Why is the dealers RV tech required to attend your outside scheduled inspection, and at a cost of $175.00 charged to you? If they want their tech to sit in on the inspection, fine. But to charge for that?

I see it like purchasing a used vehicle...you always want to have an independent mechanic/tech inspect before purchasing. In all the TV court shows, the judge always recommends (when buying used especially) you should have the vehicle checked out by an independent tech. Should be no different when buying new.

If they want their tech to sit in on the inspection, fine. But to charge for that?

I'd walk away from that dealer.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:38 AM   #5

I think the inspection, and how detailed it is and any cost involved is up to each dealer.
When our rig was delivered to the dealer, a tech spent 2 days going over the trailer, fixing any problems, and running/operating all the systems. Day we picked it up, I was presented with a page of minor problems the tech found and corrected, from a loose screw in a few places, some small gaps where some wood met that had been adjusted, filled with proper caulk, some smudges he found on ceiling area that he had cleaned, flushed the water system.
On pick up day, he let me go over the rig at my leisure, including checking up on the roof, hooking up to my truck to check lights/brakes, ect. He than spent the better part of 2 hours going over all the appliences and features of the trailer, including helping my wife add the apps for certain functions to her phone.
And, I was not charged for any of it...price quoted me when I ordered it was what I paid...no add-on's for the prep and owners walk thru.
Super dealer...Charlie Obaugh RV sales in Staunton, Va.
2022 Jayco Jay Feather 24RL
Grumpaw374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:24 AM   #6
RPR

If you have your “relative” go with you have him act like a relative and is new to RVs. Better chance of dealer blowing smoke during walk through.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 03:49 AM   #7

It's a sad day when we have to go through hoops to fool a dealer/manufacturer when buying an expensive product that should be expected to be in excellent operation.

Sigh.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inspection, rv inspection