Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #1

Infield camping at NASCAR races

Went to the Auto Club 400 Sunday at California Speedway (aka Auto Club Speedway) and watched from the stands. There must have been a few thousand RV's in the infield. Has anyone on this forum gone to this race with their RV? Looks like it must take a while to get in and get out. I also noticed the Vons store and numerous portable shower trailers.
jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:22 AM   #2

Thumbs down Nascar infield camping

The infields are VERY busy, crowded, and noisy due to partying at night. I do Talledega every spring and have witnessed the antics first hand and no thanks. Getting in and out can be rough depending on your "get there and leave" schedules. If you have time to spare, get there a couple days early and leave later the next day after the race. But it is definitely a party crowd outing.

Rob
Wusaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:38 AM   #3

I've heard of the legendary Talladega infield. As much as I like to go places with the trailer, I agree that it just looks too crowded.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:30 PM   #4

I've thought of following the Nascar races on their annual trip out west (Vegas, Phoenix and CA) but haven't thought much if any about staying in the infield. I would prefer to stay 50 miles or so away from the track and just drive in for the race.

I went to the Bristol races for years, have family in the area so accommodations were easy, brother had good contacts inside Nascar, so got some good parking passes at times, access to high $$ suites at times, etc., but never camped at Bristol.

Getting into a track is usually not a problem as everyone arrives over a longer time frame, while everyone wants to leave at the SAME time. If you take your RV to the race track, plan on leaving the next day, or 6-8 hrs after the race is over. Traffic is stop and go, worse than Atlanta rush hour. It does clear out, but don't be in a rush to leave in your RV.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:43 PM   #5

It's a party atmosphere, for sure. Day and night. Be prepared to be awakened numerous times, despite the quiet hour rules. They do have some strict rules about in and out privileges here in Fontana, Ca track. You gotta arrive one or two days early, you can't take your RV out until well after the race, and everyone is excused by section. You can come and go as you wish, as long as the infield tunnel is open (not usually during a race). You generally can't put awnings out, have to have railings if you want to be on the roof, and there's no dump station you can use mid-way through the weekend. You really need to be prepared for a real dry-camping weekend.

I think bicycles are encouraged, and I would think it is the best way around some of the larger tracks. As long as you have a way to lock it up.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #6

I've been to some Texas races and had infield passes.
Looks like fun, for a younger person.
At my age, I'll pass.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:29 PM   #7

I did my one and only camping at the NASCAR races at the Talledega site. Stayed three days..

Too much partying for this old man haha...

And it was hard to watch the race live... Watching it on TV later was much better haha...

I did get to meet a couple of the drivers however...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:51 PM   #8

We live in Michigan and we camp at MIS in the infield and have for years my brother is a spotter for Kevin Harvick. We love the infield it is a huge party spot more so in turns 3 ad 4 a little quieter at night in turns 1 and 2 and that why we camp there. We try not to miss a year and love our camping spots have made so many friends. I would never pass up a chance to camp in the infield. So Much fun!!!!!!
NASCAR 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:56 PM   #9

I've been going to Fontucky for about 10 years. I went this year and loved it as usual. Here's pics from last year with the Jayco:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/me...lbums1071.html
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:18 PM   #10

We have camped at Martinsville a couple of times, and have had good experiences. Martinsville is billed as a family track, so is generally pretty tame. We were at North Wilkesboro and the first time (a rain out) was pretty good. When we went back for the rain date, Morgan Shepard parked beside us and Terry and Bobby Labonte were two spaces down on the other side of us. The second time was a little noisier.
Mitch S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:50 PM   #11

The Talledega infield camping is exactly the zoo that it is made out to be and then some. Them boys didn't take too kindly to our NY license plates, either. Our first time there, my buddies and I spent most of our arrival evening trying to figure out which group of rednecks would take the first run at us. By the 2nd night, we were deemed harmless to their way of life. By Saturday night, you'd of thought we were kin. Unfortunately, we've had to repeat this exercise on a subsequent trip as well. It's all good in the end, though. FWIW - Watkins Glen is an unexpected close second for infield camping chaos in my book. Some things you just can't unsee...

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch S View Post
We have camped at Martinsville a couple of times, and have had good experiences. Martinsville is billed as a family track, so is generally pretty tame. We were at North Wilkesboro and the first time (a rain out) was pretty good. When we went back for the rain date, Morgan Shepard parked beside us and Terry and Bobby Labonte were two spaces down on the other side of us. The second time was a little noisier.
I'm jealous of that.
A Martinsville race is on my bucket list.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:36 PM   #13

Martinsville is a great place to watch a race, we went for about 20 years, but as our girls got older, it became too expensive to keep going. It's been a few years since we've been. I'd like to go one more time. The camping is in a field behind the track. It's a great track for families.
Mitch S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerhard View Post
I've been going to Fontucky for about 10 years. I went this year and loved it as usual. Here's pics from last year with the Jayco:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/me...lbums1071.html
Love it! We call it Fontucky too.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:19 PM   #15

The name just fits, right Jerdog?
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote