Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2019, 11:58 AM   #1

Inspection to keep warranty

So, we purchased our JayFlight 32BHDS last year from camping world. I get a call recently that I need to bring my trailer in for an annual inspection to maintain the warranty. (We did purchase an extended warranty.) So I call and inquire about this inspection. They tell me there are multiple types of inspections, ranging from $350 to $1,000! Most of the stuff covered in this inspection, I can inspect myself! I feel as though its a ripoff! Do I really have to do this? Any advice or past experiences from yall?
Old 06-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #2

You need to reread that extended warranty paperwork.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:09 PM   #3

It's a scam, like you said most of it, an average person can do. I always recommend keepinga small maintenance log, just to prove it was checked, and what was repaired.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #4

Did you pay for this extended warranty, if yes ask for your money back, if no tell them no thanks. Extended Warranties usually dont pay off, they are not in the business of giving money away, oh sorry that's not covered.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:21 PM   #5

Yup.. That's how they get you on some of these extended warranties.. I bet it's in the paperwork..I would try to get a refund if possible.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #6

Everything they checked on my trailer for the low rate inspection I check every pre trip. BUT, if somethin happens an you didnt get it inspected I wonder if Jayco will give you any grief if somethin does go wrong. Even with the low end inspection. I would think it's like a car, not logged by the dealer the work is done as it an when it should be then that's were the trouble starts if somethin goes wrong. As for the extended portion, I agree with others, dump it
Old 06-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Everything they checked on my trailer for the low rate inspection I check every pre trip. BUT, if somethin happens an you didnt get it inspected I wonder if Jayco will give you any grief if somethin does go wrong. Even with the low end inspection. I would think it's like a car, not logged by the dealer the work is done as it an when it should be then that's were the trouble starts if somethin goes wrong. As for the extended portion, I agree with others, dump it
This isn't for the Jayco part of his warranty. This is what the extended warranty companies do to make more money, yearly inspections at crazy prices just to keep it active. Jayco does not require this type of inspection when under warranty.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
This isn't for the Jayco part of his warranty. This is what the extended warranty companies do to make more money, yearly inspections at crazy prices just to keep it active. Jayco does not require this type of inspection when under warranty.
That's the only reason I did it was it was the first yr of the initial 2 yr warranty. Being nieve I guess
Old 06-04-2019, 10:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonedock View Post
So, we purchased our JayFlight 32BHDS last year from camping world. I get a call recently that I need to bring my trailer in for an annual inspection to maintain the warranty. (We did purchase an extended warranty.) So I call and inquire about this inspection. They tell me there are multiple types of inspections, ranging from $350 to $1,000! Most of the stuff covered in this inspection, I can inspect myself! I feel as though its a ripoff! Do I really have to do this? Any advice or past experiences from yall?
You'll have to check the small print for your 3rd party warranty to determine their specific requirements for keeping their warranty alive and well.

The only annual inspection I've found to be important is the annual frig maintenance (flue cleaning) required by Norcold and Dometic for their propane frigs. Generally, Norcold/Dometic require proof of maintenance from an RV dealer---DIY probably won't suffice. With new frigs costing ~$1500 or so, probably not a bad idea to get this done for about $75-$100 to keep the final year of the 2-year Norcold/Dometic warranty in effect.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:30 AM   #10

Scam, ripoff, con-job, flim-flam. It's sad that people sell this stuff.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
And its sad people buy these warranties.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
" The Flim Flam Man " was on the tube today. These extended warranty guys could teach him a few tricks
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:03 PM   #13

Extended warranties are a scam, pure and simple. Our last unit, not a Jayco, we bought a 7 year extended warranty, I think it was just shy of $3K. After the manufacturer warranty expired we had three different issues all of which were conveniently not covered by the “bumper to bumper” extended service plan. The list of what the plan doesn’t cover is way bigger than the covered items.
I’d cancel it, get the pro-rated amount refunded and put it toward any repairs you’ll need down the road. As for the mandatory inspection to maintain the coverage? We fell for it. Paid an exorbitant amount for a roof inspection and still ended up with de-lamination shortly afterwards and...drum roll please.....you guessed it. De-lam wasn't covered by the warranty.
icr21801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #14

We got ours at Blue Dog Rv they offer a lifetime warranty as long as the yearly inspection is done I guess we are lucky here cause it only cost $99 for the warranty inspection
Lpeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:57 PM   #15

There was a yearly 22-point inspection included for three years when we purchased our motorhome from Camping World. It was free. We just had our last one, which always includes a roof inspection. We always opted out on all but the roof inspection; because, as everyone says, we always check the other items regularly ourselves. We did buy an extended warranty from Mercedes-Benz (5 years beyond the original 2). We've already reaped the benefit with a Def pump that needed to be replaced and an oil leak. We would have already paid almost as much for those two repairs as for our whole extended warranty. Let me make it clear - this is not an after-market warranty, but Mercedes. After-market companies are a big rip-off (we've learned the hard way).
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpeden View Post
We got ours at Blue Dog Rv they offer a lifetime warranty as long as the yearly inspection is done I guess we are lucky here cause it only cost $99 for the warranty inspection
Sounds like you are self funding your own warranty. Hope you read the fine print, most claims get the canned answer, Oh that's not covered.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:07 PM   #17

We didn't have to pay for the warranty Blue Dog puts it on all their new RVs and with everything they check it's worth the $99 a year and yes I read the fine print
Lpeden is offline   Reply With Quote