Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2014, 06:15 AM   #1

Insurance?

Who is everybody using for insurance on their trailer? I'm preparing to go and pick my trailer up in about a week. I was wondering what your thoughts were on insurance. Is a specialty insurance company like Good Sam the way to go? Or, can I use the same people that insure my home and auto? Your thoughts are appreciated!
Thanks
12VOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:16 AM   #2

Our home and autos are insured thru Farm Bureau....simply added the TT on to the auto policy.

2014 Jayco White Hawk 30DSQB Summit Edition, Glacier Package
2012 GMC 2500HD Z71 SLT 4WD Crew Cab...DuraMax/Allison....3.73 Rear Axle.
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab...Vortec 6.0L V8...3.73 Rear Axle..(traded)
2011 Chevrolet Avalanche...5.3L V8...3.42..(traded)
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:30 AM   #3

If you have multiple policies thru one company, they will probably give you the best rate with the add on. Just make sure you are getting the coverage you think you are getting. Camping World will definitely flood you with information. I hate to think of all the trees we could save if they just halted half of their written advertisements they send to all of their members(including me)!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:14 AM   #4

We have our FW insured with our auto insurer and, so far, it's been fine. Had to have the cap replaced last summer and it was pretty painless and only cost me the deductible, with no increase in premium.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12VOLTMAN View Post
Who is everybody using for insurance on their trailer? I'm preparing to go and pick my trailer up in about a week. I was wondering what your thoughts were on insurance. Is a specialty insurance company like Good Sam the way to go? Or, can I use the same people that insure my home and auto? Your thoughts are appreciated!
Thanks
Go with the same company that you have home, cars, tow vehicles. You 'll keep your life simpler and probably save a few bucks in the long run

2014 GMC 2500HD CC 4X4
2009 Jay Flight 24RKS
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #6

Talked with an agent through Good Sams today about this issue. I will use the same insurance carrier that I already have, however check with your insurance and see if they have the ability to carry it under a reduced rate during months that it is in storage. May save a few bucks over all.
jsgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:38 PM   #7

Normally you only insure a TT for Collision and Comprehensive. Liability coverage goes to the vehicle that tows it. Stuff can still happen to trailers in storage especially outside storage, ie windstorm, weight of snow and ice etc. I agree with the above comments it is much less complicated to insure with your existing auto and HO carrier.
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 400 ATV and Yamaha 2000 watt Genny
Me/retired insurance claims and DW/retired RN.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."-Red Green
dougfir1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies. I read a lot of bad things on the internet about Good Sam and it made me leery of them. I think I'll bundle my coverage with my current insurance company. At least for now.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #9

I'd be careful about not getting liability on a trailer and relying just on your TV's liability....... If you're trailer is parked and your kid's friend falls off a bunk or gets hurt some other way on your campsite you'd have a hell of a time putting through your vehicle's insurance.
turkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:22 PM   #10

I dropped our RV coverage with State Farm (essentially nothing more than a vehicle policy) and went with GEICO RV. The automotive aspect of coverage are provided when the trailer is hitched to our TV. The policy itself is like a mini homeowners policy: Comprehensive (hitched or not), $1000 Medical Payments, $10000 Vacation Liability, $1000 Emergency Expenses, $3000 personal belongings coverage, & Roadside Assistance. Cost for 6 months coverage is roughly 30% less than SF for better coverage.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:19 AM   #11

Read the fine print!

While we're on the subject of insurance, make sure you read the fine print - particularly about replacement value. A couple of years ago, a tree fell onto my old trailer while it was in storage. It broke one of the sewer vents, punctured a tiny hole in the roofing membrane, broke one of the awning brackets and bent the snot out of my awning tube. Insurance company took care of the vent: no problem. Insurance adjuster put a small roof repair patch over the hole in the membrane: no charge. But when it came to the awning, that was a different story. My carrier would only pay 10% of the current value of the trailer toward a new awning. They only valued my (then) 9 year old 18' ultra-lite tt at $1000, so they'd only pay $100 toward a new awning. I had to come up with the remaining $550 to get my awning replaced.

If I had taken the time to read the fine print, I may have gotten my coverage elsewhere. Or maybe not, since I still have the same insurer today. The point is, I should have better informed myself of all the stipulations of the insurance coverage. Now that I'm going to be a full time RVer (and won't have the discount my S & B coverage gives me), I'm going to be looking for a new policy. Good Sam offers "Full-timer's Policies", so I'll be taking a look at them. But this time around, you can bet I'll be reading the fine print!
Old 06-24-2014, 06:58 AM   #12

All very good points. I'm trying to get my insurance to send me a copy of the policy so that I can read it over carefully. I'll probably go with local insurance guy for now and check into other options later. I need to get something in place before I pick up the trailer next Tuesday!
Old 06-24-2014, 07:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmnile View Post
I dropped our RV coverage with State Farm (essentially nothing more than a vehicle policy) and went with GEICO RV. The automotive aspect of coverage are provided when the trailer is hitched to our TV. The policy itself is like a mini homeowners policy: Comprehensive (hitched or not), $1000 Medical Payments, $10000 Vacation Liability, $1000 Emergency Expenses, $3000 personal belongings coverage, & Roadside Assistance. Cost for 6 months coverage is roughly 30% less than SF for better coverage.
Have Geico as well and depending on where you are certain companies are less than others. Regardless of who you choose make sure you ask the "what if's". I was unaware in the beginning of just what I was covered for and turns out that with my first policy if I was not attached my coverage was nil. An RV specific policy should cover the RV for loss regardless of hitched or not. Also Geico offers a policy that will replace with the current model year for the first 5 years of ownership then goes to purchase price. I have that policy due to my depreciation %. Also they automatically adjust time used in the cost and I do not need to remove from the road. Just dot the i's and cross the t's.

You also might consider an umbrella policy which I also have to CMA. The world is a different place today.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:19 AM   #14

That's why I dropped State Farm. Their coverage was only the basic vehicle insurance components (collision, comprehensive, & liability, collision and liability only when hitched). My SF agent told me in case of a loss such as fire or theft, I would have to file a claim against my homeowner's policy to recover the value of personal belongings in the trailer. When parked, no liability coverage for the trailer should someone be injured when in the trailer or while we occupy a campsite. Since my homeowner's has a 1% deductible for perils other than hurricane (that's another story), switching coverage to GEICO was a no brainer. I did not opt for the replacement cost coverage however, it was insanely expensive and I have to believe the annual threat of hurricanes here has something to do with that.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #15

I requested a quote from Geico RV and just received an email from them. They don't want to insure any RV unless they're insuring the tow vehicle as well. That's exactly what I figured would happen... EVERYBODY wants to bundle EVERYTHING! If I give them my truck, then I'll lose the multi policy discount I get on my house insurance with my current provider. I guess I'll stay with who I have.