Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #1

insurance

Quick question about insurance. I know it is different in the USA then it is in Canada. When we had our pup, our auto insurance said it was covered when we were towing. So we did not buy insurance because the cost was not worth it. Any opinions. We get bring home our trailer in 2 weeks (17z)

Thanks
bertscampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #2

Here in Ontario, our insurance broker told us, TT insurance is an add-on to your house insurance. When you are towing, your TV insurance applies, otherwise, the house add-on policy applies. We set this up at first, then we found Wayfarer insurance for RV's. Cost and coverage was similar, but the Wayfarer was full replacement value of the TT for the first five years of a new TT, rather than the depreciated value. Also, if you have Explorer RV club membership, there is a discount with Wayfarer. It all sounds good, but having never made a claim, one doesn't really know the support one will get.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #3

My insurance company USAA told me that it woud be covered while in tow on your auto policy but I had to do a clause that would cover the unit while at the house and the deductable would be the same as my car insurance so I guess it was a tie onto that policy? Anyway it was $109 for the year so I figure it is worth having it for sure.
95 Starcraft 1021 (sold)
2011 Jayco Swift 184
waldo_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #4

Just got me to thinking... for US citizens traveling across the border to Canada, I am told (by Geico anyhow) that our insurance covers travel there, we just need to request an additional card that states we are insured in for travel in Canada. The card is issued for free
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:51 AM   #5

healthi,

I cross the border lots as my brother lives in the Boston Area. I have never had problem or needed any extra card. The issue in traveling is health insurance. My parents even had an accident around Pittsburgh and no problem with insurance.
bertscampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #6

That's good to hear. Because it's difficult to remember to request it every 6 months! Not that we need it yet, but sometimes we have been known to take off on a whim, or, just change-up our planned routing last minute while on the road.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #7

I have State Farm for vehicles and house. I had my agent add-on the trailer so it was covered with no questions.
chas111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #8

Do check with your current Insurance company.

For my large size TT, it needed its own Fire, Theft and "towing" liability. Once we got our TT to our seasonal site, it only needed Fire & Theft. And since its NOT towed anymore, its "on road" collision insurance was removed (which ment huge cost savings).

For my small utility trailer, it has fire and theft. Ya. Steel trailer has fire insurance - which is another money grab. When connected to my Tow Vehicle, it has included "on road" liability & collision. But if this trailer ever become disconnected from the TV, crossed a lane, went into a another vehicle and hurt someone, it would have NO liability insurance. Thus, it needs its own liability insurance (when disconnected from the Tow Vehicle). Instead of paying for its own liability insurnce, I bought double thick safety chains for it instead.

I know, their inclusions and exclusions on each trailer sounds ugly. And it is. But do check with your specific insurance company for "all the details". Each have their own "funny" rules....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #9

I went to my storage lot to bring the camper home to get it de-winterized
& found hail damage from a storm that came through on the 1st. I have a hole in the LP tank cover, upper front marker light lens broke & a S**Tload of dents. I did talk to the insurance co but need to call back tomorrow.

BTW I tested the new hunter 42995 thermostat.... works great.
mlrtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:05 AM   #10

Sorry to hear about your TT damage. Our dealer is so backlogged with insurance claims from hail storm damage that hit us last October. Luckily ours was on order and was being manufactured at the time. We also built a carport cover to go over the TT before we took delivery.

Mary Anne
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #11

We have a separate policy on our trailer. You never know when something may happen that can be expensive. With our Prowler we had a big hail storm that really did a job on the trailer. It was financed so we had to insure it. The repairs were costly to say the least. We always carry insurance since then.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #12

Big storm with large hail headed this way later today....hope weather guessers are wrong....
mlrtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
That's good to hear. Because it's difficult to remember to request it every 6 months! Not that we need it yet, but sometimes we have been known to take off on a whim, or, just change-up our planned routing last minute while on the road.
Some of the insurance company's will issue a policy for the full year and then pay it all at once and it save a couple of bucks that way its done thats for both auto and travel trailer and home owners so you don't have to remember to switch card every 6 months.....
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodro123 View Post
Some of the insurance company's will issue a policy for the full year and then pay it all at once and it save a couple of bucks that way its done thats for both auto and travel trailer and home owners so you don't have to remember to switch card every 6 months.....
Unfortunately ours isn't one of those . We get the discount for paying in full for the six months though.

No matter, if it comes to the Canadian proof of insurance card for us to take cross border, although free, it has to be requested as they don't send one with the regular cards as a usual practice