Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2022, 12:29 PM   #1

Insurance options

My insurance Co does not offer RV insurance, they partner with Progressive. I have used them in the past and would rather not have to insure my camper with them. Others, like the gecko, require I move my homeowners/car etc to them in order to insure my camper as well. I like my current company and have no desire to leave them.

What insurers have you used that offer stand alone policies that you really like? Any claims problems or other comments if you have used them?
2 kids
1 dog
jb7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 02:03 PM   #2

I picked Progressive as Allstate has poor coverage for RVs. I will follow this as I am always willing to change if I can get better coverage or lower price.

Why don't you like Progressive? Always good to know if I need to change.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 02:07 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb7706 View Post
My insurance Co does not offer RV insurance, they partner with Progressive. I have used them in the past and would rather not have to insure my camper with them. Others, like the gecko, require I move my homeowners/car etc to them in order to insure my camper as well. I like my current company and have no desire to leave them.

What insurers have you used that offer stand alone policies that you really like? Any claims problems or other comments if you have used them?
I ended up with GoodSams..It was literally half what my homeowner/car carrier quoted. Haven't made a claim so can't help you there.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 02:13 PM   #4

Quote:

Foremost insurance, I had them when we camped on a river, the river flooded and they handed me a check for the full insured price. I had State Farm and was told my camper was not covered unless it was connected to my truck. I don't know if they do all RV's but it's worth a check
Old 09-08-2022, 03:08 PM   #5

Progressive is my choice because they will insure full-timers and their policy if very similar to a homeowner's policy.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 03:12 PM   #6
Site Team

Good, bad, or indifferent, we've used Good Sam for 15 years so far. They brokered it for National General Insurance Co. New York state rules may be different, but I keep comprehensive on it all year, can drop the rest, and not be required to turn in the license plate. I give a call to activate it in the spring, and another call to tell them we're done using it for the rest of the year. Unused premium is either reimbursed, or applied to the next year.

We did have a mouse damage claim on our previous pop up, and they sent out a claim's rep from 200 miles away, she inspected it, and printed a check from her car. It was a pleasant surprise.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 05:25 PM   #7
CAG

I left Good Sam for Progressive as GS doubled my insurance rates in one year for nothing other than they could from what I could tell.

There are many, many threads on insurance on here with a search of the site. It is really regional with both who covers and what the rates are. You just have to spend some time with searching and calling because what works for me likely will not work for you.

My car and jeep and home are insured by a different company because the rates are better. Shopping is your best friend.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 05:50 PM   #8

Progressive treated me very well when my awning was ripped off by a too close to the road tree limb in a Texas State Park. I have them through USAA
Old 09-08-2022, 07:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
There are many, many threads on insurance on here with a search of the site. It is really regional with both who covers and what the rates are. You just have to spend some time with searching and calling because what works for me likely will not work for you.
I did actually search. I found a ton of threads that mention insurance, but none that discuss experiences. If you have a thread or 2 I missed please post.
2 kids
1 dog
jb7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 09:02 AM   #10
CAG

Quote:
I did actually search. I found a ton of threads that mention insurance, but none that discuss experiences. If you have a thread or 2 I missed please post.
What are the threads about if not experiences? Just about every thread on every topic on this site is a long list of what worked for individuals and what didn’t. That’s what this site is all about.

There was in-fact an insurance thread not two weeks ago with tons of “experiences” on insurance companies, increased rates and what companies were being used.

The point mentioned in that thread is what I said here. Results vary by state, your credit rating and driving history. No two quotes will be the same and companies that insure vary from one location to another.

Old 09-09-2022, 10:56 AM   #11

Started with Progressive. Good Sam sent a note about insurance and so I called them. I now have Progressive thru Good Sam and it’s less expensive.
Old 09-10-2022, 06:18 PM   #12

We've had Progressive Insurance for our travel trailer for 3 years. So far, have filed zero claims so don't know how well they will honor the policy. But our insurance agent is a bull dog so I'm not really concerned I would have a problem should I ever file a claim.
Old 09-14-2022, 03:04 PM   #13

We have Progressive and have been with them for quite a few years for auto, RV, motorcycle and home owners at different locations. We have separate home owners as there are few companies that will cover log homes. When out toy hauler was stolen and recovered, the adjuster was easy to work with, upfront about everything and when it finally was totalled, we got settlement quickly. Haven't found anyone yet that can meet their rates so that is a good reason we stay with them.
artoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 03:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by artoo93 View Post
We have Progressive and have been with them for quite a few years for auto, RV, motorcycle and home owners at different locations. We have separate home owners as there are few companies that will cover log homes. When out toy hauler was stolen and recovered, the adjuster was easy to work with, upfront about everything and when it finally was totalled, we got settlement quickly. Haven't found anyone yet that can meet their rates so that is a good reason we stay with them.
Looking at you public info, I see you are located at the North Pole. I would imagine RV insurance is cheaper way up there.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 05:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Foremost insurance, I had them when we camped on a river, the river flooded and they handed me a check for the full insured price. I had State Farm and was told my camper was not covered unless it was connected to my truck. I don't know if they do all RV's but it's worth a check
Foremost is the ONLY insurer that you should have with an RV.

Progressive sucks, Allstate is even worse, and the others are mediocre at best.

Have had them for 36 years now. The agent that had my cars and house was an Allstate agent, and he was also an RVer and he was the one that got me switched to Foremost, eve though he lost the sale.

Maybe they are NFG in YOUR state, but check them out first before you go anywhere else.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 05:40 PM   #16
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
Foremost is the ONLY insurer that you should have with an RV.

Progressive sucks, Allstate is even worse, and the others are mediocre at best.

Have had them for 36 years now. The agent that had my cars and house was an Allstate agent, and he was also an RVer and he was the one that got me switched to Foremost, eve though he lost the sale.

Maybe they are NFG in YOUR state, but check them out first before you go anywhere else.

And there you have the problem with asking for other opinions. They are just that the opinion of one person. What floats my boat might sink someone else's.

Old 09-14-2022, 05:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
And there you have the problem with asking for other opinions. They are just that the opinion of one person. What floats my boat might sink someone else's.
The purpose of a forum question is to seek other people's opinions. An astute reader will take ALL of the opinions and decided which ones are valid and which ones are not.

I simply offered my experience after having insurance coverage for 36 years with different companies. My caveat was clearly stated, and that is that different states MAY have different price structures.

In the end the OP needs to look at all of the opinions and chose for himself. If you think my analyses is wrong, then disregard it.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:00 PM   #18
CAG

Rants are not opinions.

Old 09-15-2022, 07:27 AM   #19

Exclamation Insurance

Quote:

I have been over a year getting my RV repaired with Progressive from being rear ended and using the repair shop they insisted on. Unless you live full time in your camper they will not reimburse for renting a replacement, loss of use, market loss or any other out of pocket expenses. Go to an independent agent and check the coverages carefully before you buy from any company. RV’s can take a long time to repair. Getting Parts can be a big issue!
Walker0301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:40 AM   #20

We have Progressive as we bundle 2 vehicles and a boat with it. Last October we left the awning out overnight. Woke up at 2:00 AM to a rain storm that was not in the forecast to what sounded like a tree hit the RV. Went outside and the awning had ripped off the RV due to water puddling in fabric. Had to call a mobile RV repair company to come out the next morning to remove the awning and hardware. Contacted Progressive and they opened a claim. Took until May to get all parts due to supply chain issues. However, the claims adjuster assigned to me was very good on following up with the mobile RV company who dissembled the awning and was ordering the needed replacement parts and keeping me in the loop. Was also reimbursed for the initial service call out that morning.
dmrandazzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance